A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I do with this Dissected Sweater?  (Read 819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TinaInWonderland
« on: March 09, 2006 03:23:44 PM »

I've been reading so many postings here on Craftster that I had to go and buy something at a thrift store to reconstruct!  I bought this sweater for a whooping 50 cents!

It has a 'Gap' label is is made of wool and a bit of angora.  It has a great feel to it, though it was a bit dingy looking. 

Anyway, I had intended to unravel it, kool-aid dye it, then reknit the yarn.  BUT I was overzealous with those dang scissors and I ended up cutting it apart wrong so when I unravel it I just get the short peices.  Roll Eyes (I studied up on the unravelling-a-sweater instructions afterward, so next time I think I'll have more luck).

So this is the part where I really need some suggestions.  I am too stubborn to toss the thing so I have got to figure out what to do with it.  If nothing else, I could felt it and have a butt load of coasters and cleaning rags, but I'd rather come up with something more fun!  I could probably, maybe, make a dog sweater or two out of it.

So, please give me some ideas!!!   Kiss

Thanks in advance,
TinaInWonderland
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006 03:25:25 PM »

hmm i see a future purse with the cabled side!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
TinaInWonderland
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006 08:58:19 AM »

Ryoruki, I think I do like that idea for the cabled part!  Hmmmm, that could be cute, dyed and maybe embellished a little.  I think that is one thing I'll try doing with it!  Thanks!

Anyone have suggestions for what to make with the back and sleeves?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaxGirl
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 03:24:48 PM »

I would either cut it and sew it into a purse and felt it, or felt the pieces first and then make a purse out of it.  If it's dingy, I'd probably dye it before doing anything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDiversions
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006 07:13:18 PM »

Once I had made a purse with a giant sweather sleeve, unraveled the other sleeve to reknit a handle, and used the front body for another purse and unraveled the back for yarn. 

With the pieces you have, you could sew your 2 sleeves together for a trapezoid-shaped purse if your sleeve isn't large enough. Then dye it either with acid dyes, kool aid or food coloring. Finally, felt it in the washing machine!

You have many options with the back pieces, whether you can unravel it or not. You could make a decorative pillow/pillow cover. The cable detail would make a very nice pillow.  You could even sew and felt it to make slippers.  As suggested a purse would be nice. I would make a tote bag and use the bottom ribbing as the opening of the bag. That way you can cut and rework the odd and uneven shape areas created by the neck and armholes as a strap.  Have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firzenma

Do you want furi kuri?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006 11:23:02 AM »

you coudl make it into a boob tube? somehow or leg warmers or you coudl also use it to make a seat cover if you have one chair. hmm you could make a pillow too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

700 and growing.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Tips on Making Buffalo Wings
How to Make Dixie Bell Cornbread Dressing
Dirty Rice Recipe
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...