A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone from ireland?  (Read 10092 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scruffster

Scruff adds character

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008 03:22:51 AM »

I've been a serial lurker on craftster here for a while but when I saw this post I thought I might as well stand up and get counted with the other Irish craftsters! Nice to know there's a few of us- and I reckon we should get our own board!

The modge podge thing confused the b'jaysus out of me too but it's just the same as any PVA glue, the type you used to make paper mache with when you were in school. I think I got mine in the art n hobby shop but it should be easy enough to pick up in most art shops. The thing to look for is that is says 'waterproof when dry'.

Do we have freezer paper here? I couldn't see it in the supermarket- maybe it's called something else? Help much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock!!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008 12:14:17 PM »

The freezer paper thing has been befuddling me also I haven't sen it anywhere but it must be around somewhere. Maybe Lidl or Aldi or the really big Tescos'.
There are car boot sales on in the Bernard Shaw car Park on Sundays. It might only be 1 sunday a month I'm not sure. They're sorta aiming for kitch so its not your typical jumble sale vibe and I've definitly seen crafts sold there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IrishAngel
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008 02:51:06 PM »

Ah I thought I'd stop lurking and post a little message in here..unfortunately all the craft shops I knew of were already listed, apart from one, but its a bit far from Dublin. I live up in Dundalk during the year for college and I live out of a store called stitch craft for my threads and wools. I can't really find anywhere else around here for much stuff but I'm going to check more area's around Drogheda and Dundalk over the year Smiley

There's an arts and hobbies craft store in Scotch Hall in Drogheda where I get my modge podge and a few beads and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schuss
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008 01:54:26 PM »

The freezer paper thing has been befuddling me also I haven't sen it anywhere but it must be around somewhere. Maybe Lidl or Aldi or the really big Tescos'.

It's just plastic-coated paper used to wrap food before it's frozen.  It comes on a roll just like aluminum foil.  The plastic coating is very thin but, when used for stenciling (the most common crafty use) the plastic keeps the ink from permeating the paper.  It's handy and disposable, so very popular!

And hi!  I'm another crafter here in Ireland, but I'm in Cork.  I've found very few craft-y places so far (Only lived here for 3 months, and I'm from Los Angeles, so it's a biiiig difference!) so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. 

To give what little info I DO have about crafting in Cork: there's a store called Vibes 'n' Scribes: it's mostly used books and music, but their larger branch, on Leavitt's Quay (I think) has a craft section with some lovely yarn, craft books, beads, etc.  I didn't actually spend too much time there 'cause I was afraid of spending waaaay too much if I stayed to browse!  There's also a pocket-sized craft store in a little nook across the way from Tesco in City Centre, but it's quite small and seems more embroidery-focused, though I did buy a crochet hook there.  Nice ladies behind the counter though!

Happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock!!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008 07:44:10 AM »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that freezer paper so.

IrishAngel: I'm from Dundalk (although I live in Dublin) there is a material shop in Dundalk called the Remnants Basket. Its on Chapel Street which is near the Cathedral. They sell sewing accessories, trims and fabric...and remnants.
Hope thats been of some help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellerina
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008 01:53:12 PM »

hi there!
i'm from the west - been living in galway the last four years for college and from mayo originally, galway has some great places to find crafts. the market is always a brilliant place to find stuff.

lola rose use to be in the bridge mills, i think it's moved to middle street now. it's wonderful, has great wool and crochet hooks and knitting needles and all that. has some really cool kitsch things for sale too.

bean si is in the bridge mills, ebbybrett mentioned it, it's a lovely shop and has some great handmade clothes and puppets and stuff.

the bead shop is great. hickeys is a good place for materials and wool and stuff. nowhere else is springing to mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008 08:04:03 AM »

Hi Shellerina  - I am Galway too:) Good to see a Galway Craftster.

LolaRose has moved to Middle Street, just up from the Amnesty shop. The new shop is lovely. The newish Anthony Ryan Homestore has wool and needles. The other Anthony Ryans used to have ribbon - not sure if it still does. The Singer Shop has ribbon and embroidery/needlepoint supplies,etc.

Places like Maplins are good for tools if you do wire working/jewellery making. I got the pliers I use most from Lidl though:)

I get sewing supplies and bits and pieces from Euro shops and sometimes Lidl/Aldi.

I'd be lost without the 'net though - I order a lot of beads that way. I got my freezer paper in a swap - have never seen it here. I get sent things like Sharpies, KoolAid and Shrinky-Dinks in swaps too.

Forgot to say that Woodies have paper crafting supplies/card making materials. Smiths have similar supplies too, at least they do in Claremorris.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 08:07:54 AM by Saor » THIS ROCKS   Logged

give-quiche-a-chance

9 10 a big fat hen! The name's Bender!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008 01:52:52 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm from the North but I've been to an awesome fabric shop in Dublin - T.W.I International, 181 Parnell Street. From the outside it doesn't look like a shop at all, I think you have to ring the bell to get in. they have loads of industrial sewing machines and haberdashery on the ground floor and all the fabric upstairs.
They have most types of fabric that you don't usually find in the smaller fabric shops - wool, denim, full leather skins, velvet etc.

Their website - http://www.fabricsireland.com

I love LM Ruban too - Westbury Mall, for ribbons and trimmings, beautiful but very expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009 02:39:00 PM »

Hi ya I live in Co Clare. I get most of my stuff on trips out of the country. London mostly.

freezer paper, no we dont have it here, it is waxed on one side, so when you use it for stencilling you iron on the waxed side to fabric and it will stick, waxed on both sides will not be great for your iron! I guess the way around it might be to use regular waxed paper, and cut it and a thin paper stencil at the same time, then iron it onto fabric as a kind of sandwich with waxed paper in the middle. regular baking parchment or greaseproof paper wont work btw, as its not waxed (Which is hard to get)

You could always do like I did and do a personal swap with a craftster from the US (also a good way to get supplies)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aka_Breeno

Crazy is as crazy looks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010 06:03:41 PM »

Poppycock!! & IrishAngel: Helooooooo!!!

Im from Dunleer (I know, pity me!lol) didnt realise there was a fabric shop in dundalk! Thanks, Ill have to pop in next time, its definitly a lot closer than Dublin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/breeno

Up for personal swaps especially inchies, ATC's and twinchies! Cheesy

Currently crafting my first Quilt! ..Any help,hints or Sanity Pills ( Tongue ) is greatly appreciated!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Coarse and Textured Hair to a Long Face
How to Match Coarse Textured Hair with a Square Face
How Style Straight Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
How to Cut Curly Hair for a Round Face
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...