A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Time to get this board moving...so what made you start crafting  (Read 890 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 28, 2011 02:07:14 PM »

I am 43 and so was convent educated, at my primary school we had to do knitting, sewing etc...I ended up hating knitting...but if the truth be told, a lot of that is still because it is too slow for me...I loved sewing. But then we didn't do half as much sewing as knitting, I mostly gave up knitting when I left school, but I always sewed, I think it was because I never had any money for clothing and I always was interested in fashion, so I did things like make clothing out of blankets and skirts out of curtains..that was back in the 80s when I had a model figure..lol, not sure I would get away with that now...

so did you do craft at school and did you drop it when you left school?? and how have you found your way to it again?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011 04:37:21 AM »

My mam was a seamstress for years before she got married and she still sews to this day, not as much anymore though. She has made SUCH beautiful clothes for me, including my 2 debs dresses and countless other things. I still have those debs dresses, and even though they were made approx. 10 years ago, I can still fit into them! (The only annoying part about all of that was standing still for ages whilst she measured and pinned and fitted the fabric on me but I guess all of that has taught me patience! Cheesy)

My wonderful mam taught me hand sewing when I was younger (around 6 or 7 years old, when I was able to hold a pin, not stab myself and knew not to eat it) and I made alterations to clothes and whatnot for many years but nothing on a serious scale. Last year, when I was doing my first swap on Craftster, she gave me her Singer machine. This thing is nearly as old as I am, it's over 25 years old and still going strong! (My boyfriend got me a shiny new Singer for Christmas, so I was able to give back her machine lol.)

Anyways, back to the point, I've always been artistic but I mostly focused on art and photography and really it's only been a year and a half since I seriously fell in love with sewing. I did learn some crafts in school, like weaving and knitting but I didn't keep them up afterward, mostly because I felt the same way as you Edel, it was too slow for my liking. I took sewing back up in August '09 because at the time I was unemployed and had an endless desire to craft. Hahah and now I'm teaching my mam about certain sewing tricks! (Would you believe that for over 40 years, she never once used any other foot on a sewing machine apart from the bog-standard presser foot?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011 02:13:54 PM »

aw that is so cool that you have been sewing with her for so long. I have been trying for years to get my daughter doing more craft stuff and she does do some things, but has no interest in sewing..but you never know, one of these days she might take it up. She does craft as a more functional thing..like she needs a card for someone or a present...(she makes jewellery then)

I have to admit that I sympathise with your mam, I don't often use any other feet on my sewing machine..use the zipper foot a bit, but not getting on so well with the other ones! I have used them a small bi

I was in hickeys today in Limerick, I wanted some black 100% cotton for quilting, they had some (and a queue of about 10 people in dress fabrics and only one person working..two people chatting in the empty furnishing fabrics place below)...anyway they had the lightest crappiest fabric, it was so heavily starched and almost see through when held up to the light..awful stuff

OK end rant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Great Flashlights
Making Coroplast V-Flats for Backdrop
Using Light and the Setting in Your Photograph
Awareness of Shadow in Photography
Understanding Light Exposure in Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...