A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
815 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone from ireland?  (Read 10628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Irish_Belle
I put my hands among the flames. Nothing burns.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2006 02:31:19 PM »

Is there anyone here from the republic of ireland? I notice theres no board here for us, so i was just wondering. Theres no real craft shops where i'm from, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend any in galway and/or dublin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006 11:03:22 AM »

No-one? There has to be..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bracelet_girl
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006 02:36:50 PM »

I'm not from the Republic of Ireland, but from the North.  Wink

I've been to Dublin a few times and as my main craft is Jewellery making the only place I could recommend would be the yellow brick road bead shop.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My DeviantArt page
My Livejournal

I do personal swaps, themed or random. Smiley pm me if you are interested!
ksew
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006 10:37:23 AM »

Im not from Ireland, but I have been there for an internship.. I remember seeing a few craft/ fabric stores just wandering around galway.  I can't tell you where..I never learned any street names, but I do know I saw some just walking around town.. good luck!  (did you try a google search??)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006 02:24:10 PM »

I've heard about the Yellow Brick Road shop! Temple bar migt be good.

When you visited Galway im sure you must have paid a visit to the Galway Bead Shop!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ebbybrett
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006 03:21:46 PM »

I'm from Galway. There's Bean S (I think that's what it's called) in the Bridge Mills, and there's Hickeys upstairs in Corbett Court / Eyre Sq Centre. Depending on what you're looking for of course. There's also upstairs in Powells for some of your basics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006 10:51:49 AM »

I'm from Galway. There's Bean S (I think that's what it's called) in the Bridge Mills, and there's Hickeys upstairs in Corbett Court / Eyre Sq Centre. Depending on what you're looking for of course. There's also upstairs in Powells for some of your basics.

I know the Eyre sq anyway.. haven't a clue where the other places are though. My friend's from there, so ill ask her next time im up. HMV, Topshop & Schuh on shop street are my fav haunts when im in the "City of the Tribes"! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidstarz
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006 06:24:52 AM »

I'm from Ireland

but I'm from the North, sorry

Why don't you try buying from online ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006 10:15:26 AM »

I'm from Ireland

but I'm from the North, sorry

Why don't you try buying from online ?

Yup thats what I've been doing recently, but I think its really interesting browsing around craft shops and seeing the items themselves. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlet
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006 07:41:57 AM »

I'm from the North too, but i now live in England, so i tend to buy either stuff from Belfast (when i pop home for a visit), or London and on the internet.  Sorry, i really can't be of much help either, but it is good to see other irish craftsters out there!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentdementia
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006 07:06:22 AM »

Ah Irish craftsters, we're few and far between. I'm from Kerry which has a craft shop drought but I'm in college in Dublin and I do have a few haunts  Cheesy

Woolen Mills. Just at the north side of the Ha'Penny bridge. Sells material, cross stitch and embroidery,findings, patterns and feeds my ribbon obsession.

Hickeys on Henry Street. Pretty much the same as the Mills but sells lotso wool too.

Springwools in Walkinstown D12. Yet again lotso wool. They sell Noro *swoon*

Murphy Sheehys. Great fabric shop on that little street between the George's St Arcade and Powerscourt.

Crown Jewels Bead Shop. Just about 2 doors down from Murphy Sheehys.

Inspiring ideas. First floor Stpehens Green Centre. Sells handmade paper, foam, feathers, stamps, beads, metal sheets, fabric paints, stencils. I think I even got some cross stitch there once.

And of course Yellow Brick Road on Bachelor's Walk on the quays.

Hope that helps a bit!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist : Swap Info : Personal Swap Friendly
parisiansummer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007 08:58:49 AM »

I'm in Dublin and I find that there is so little in the way of craft supplies for me - I'm into embroidery, crossstitch & crewelwork, and I generally have to order online. There are some threads & accessories in Hickey's on Henry St. & in the Woollen Mills shop, but apart from that I haven't found much. Neither have great kits, just the usual Forever Friends or country scene. I like to check out what they have on DMC.com for some good modern kits but even then it can be hard to find those on the websites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hapakolea

Hapa here...where's the nearest fabric shop?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007 11:10:45 PM »

Hi. I'm a rather craft chica myself. Mostly I sew and collect other craft materials just in case I decide to start doing other craft stuff. Just have to mention a fabric shop on Parnell Street located across from the ILAC centre and very close to the new Chapters. Highly recommended!

The Yellow Brick Road on Bachelor's Walk has lots of beads and the Woolen Wills has been mentioned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Really, I need more fabric...
Crazy_dude6662
you know the problem with real life? No theme music.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007 06:39:10 PM »

im from dublin. apparently K & M evans are good, they are off abby street (i think) i havnt been there yet, but im going soon so i'll be able to report back ^.^
o'sullivan graphics is cool for paints/paintbrushes/markers/sketch pads/easels/artist case thingys/weird shaped and ordinary shaped canvas's/pallets ect. ect. ect.

does anyone know where i could get clear or tinted marbles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppycock!!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007 01:20:59 PM »

hey there just thought i'd let ye know that there is also a new bead shop open near templebar. Can't recall the name but its got a bright pink front and can be clearly seen as you walk from o'connell bridge towards templebar along the quays. for the marbles maybe harvey normans they have loads of that stuff for filling up vases and what not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

perfidia
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007 06:27:39 AM »

I'm from Cork city, and am a sewer (only a beginner at the moment though). I find it really hard to find nice fabrics and notions here - we now only have Hickey's and a few furnishings fabric shops, so I tend to buy online or use old curtains from around our house  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who sang Kissing In The Toilets in 1978?
munkeehaven
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007 09:29:37 PM »

Hello All,  just joined...
Wow so there are people in Ireland interested in craft etc! its so disheartening to see the lack of websites and resources here compared to other places! Watching all the episodes on Threadbanger, or browsing this site or Etsy,Craftzine etc makes me want to live in New York!

I love going to charity shops for stuff- its cheap because I'm a poor student ..but it can be hit and miss!
Enable and Irish Cancer Society shops I find are good, Oxfam is more upmarket and expensive...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Craft
poppycock!!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008 11:39:49 AM »

Happy Paddys day  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

duu
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008 10:57:41 AM »

Hi!  I've just joined - I was out in the Blackrock market in Dublin on Saturday and came across this stall/shop - http://www.thisisknit.ie/ I'm not sure if any of you have been but it really does have a lot of lovely wool.
-D.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IrishMolly
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008 11:51:42 AM »

I only live part time in Dublin. Spend rest of my time in Scandinavia where there crafting supply shops amazing; cheap and plentiful. My favorate haunts in Dublin are: ( some have already been mentioned)
1. beads and bling - in temple bar large range of stuff. quite expensive but no ware near as bad as crown jewels.
2. Murphy Sheehy - fabric shop near George's street arcade. sells unusual and interesting stuff. nice people
3. O'Sullivan's - on camden street - sells general artists and graphic supplies.
4. hickeys on henry street is OK. General fabric, sewing and knitting stuff.
5. woollen mills near ha'penny bridge. less range than hickeys but some more unusual buttons, trims etc
6. Rubanesq - south William street - gorgeous ribbon shop - very expensive but they have extensive range
7. a4 art on thomas street ...  i think ... its near NCAD any way - they sell loads of random art supplies but  cheaper than most other places.
8. Reads on Nassau st have a gd range of art supplies and also a good place to find random stuff. They have lots of polymer clay stuff and sell ball chains precut and with clasp. they are currently doing a 10% discount on all art supplies - yay!
9.crown jewels (see previous posts)
10. Yellow brick (see prev posts)
11.BDI or beady eye a bead shop in bray
12. not Sir if this counts but THE KNIT AND STICH SHOW!!! its held over one weekend in the RDS. usually around  early November. Great for cheap yarn, fabric, ribbond, beads, paper, trim, etc!! i love it. admission is expensive so try and blag yourself some passes. contact a stallholder and say your very interested in there company.... make yourself sound importand. they will usuall offer to send you free passes - they get loads of them. this is a cool place to find unusual stuff - i have bought my meter long 2cm crochet needle there. most of the stall holders are from the UK or America, hence they high standard of products. Ireland really sucks in terms of craft supplies.

I like to by stuff in unusual places...

small local hardware shops are great for loads of stuff. Metal findings, paint, glue, varnish, wood, chain etc
B and Q is also good. They have similar stuff but a wider range. Also great ropes and things like light and door fixtures.
fishing tackle shops sell stuff which make great beads. I think they are intended as weights and attractions for fish but they are really colourful and pretty.
charity shops are also great for old fabric, jewelry, old board games, beads etc.
School or church jumble sales are also always good fun.

wow that was a loooonnng post.

oh p.s. does anyone no ware to buy this modge podge our American friends speak so highly of?
also does anyone know any good car boot sales in Dublin?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And those who where seen dancing where thought to be insane by those who could not here the music"
Scruffster

Scruff adds character

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008 03:22:51 AM »

I've been a serial lurker on craftster here for a while but when I saw this post I thought I might as well stand up and get counted with the other Irish craftsters! Nice to know there's a few of us- and I reckon we should get our own board!

The modge podge thing confused the b'jaysus out of me too but it's just the same as any PVA glue, the type you used to make paper mache with when you were in school. I think I got mine in the art n hobby shop but it should be easy enough to pick up in most art shops. The thing to look for is that is says 'waterproof when dry'.

Do we have freezer paper here? I couldn't see it in the supermarket- maybe it's called something else? Help much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock!!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008 12:14:17 PM »

The freezer paper thing has been befuddling me also I haven't sen it anywhere but it must be around somewhere. Maybe Lidl or Aldi or the really big Tescos'.
There are car boot sales on in the Bernard Shaw car Park on Sundays. It might only be 1 sunday a month I'm not sure. They're sorta aiming for kitch so its not your typical jumble sale vibe and I've definitly seen crafts sold there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IrishAngel
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008 02:51:06 PM »

Ah I thought I'd stop lurking and post a little message in here..unfortunately all the craft shops I knew of were already listed, apart from one, but its a bit far from Dublin. I live up in Dundalk during the year for college and I live out of a store called stitch craft for my threads and wools. I can't really find anywhere else around here for much stuff but I'm going to check more area's around Drogheda and Dundalk over the year Smiley

There's an arts and hobbies craft store in Scotch Hall in Drogheda where I get my modge podge and a few beads and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schuss
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008 01:54:26 PM »

The freezer paper thing has been befuddling me also I haven't sen it anywhere but it must be around somewhere. Maybe Lidl or Aldi or the really big Tescos'.

It's just plastic-coated paper used to wrap food before it's frozen.  It comes on a roll just like aluminum foil.  The plastic coating is very thin but, when used for stenciling (the most common crafty use) the plastic keeps the ink from permeating the paper.  It's handy and disposable, so very popular!

And hi!  I'm another crafter here in Ireland, but I'm in Cork.  I've found very few craft-y places so far (Only lived here for 3 months, and I'm from Los Angeles, so it's a biiiig difference!) so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. 

To give what little info I DO have about crafting in Cork: there's a store called Vibes 'n' Scribes: it's mostly used books and music, but their larger branch, on Leavitt's Quay (I think) has a craft section with some lovely yarn, craft books, beads, etc.  I didn't actually spend too much time there 'cause I was afraid of spending waaaay too much if I stayed to browse!  There's also a pocket-sized craft store in a little nook across the way from Tesco in City Centre, but it's quite small and seems more embroidery-focused, though I did buy a crochet hook there.  Nice ladies behind the counter though!

Happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock!!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008 07:44:10 AM »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that freezer paper so.

IrishAngel: I'm from Dundalk (although I live in Dublin) there is a material shop in Dundalk called the Remnants Basket. Its on Chapel Street which is near the Cathedral. They sell sewing accessories, trims and fabric...and remnants.
Hope thats been of some help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellerina
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008 01:53:12 PM »

hi there!
i'm from the west - been living in galway the last four years for college and from mayo originally, galway has some great places to find crafts. the market is always a brilliant place to find stuff.

lola rose use to be in the bridge mills, i think it's moved to middle street now. it's wonderful, has great wool and crochet hooks and knitting needles and all that. has some really cool kitsch things for sale too.

bean si is in the bridge mills, ebbybrett mentioned it, it's a lovely shop and has some great handmade clothes and puppets and stuff.

the bead shop is great. hickeys is a good place for materials and wool and stuff. nowhere else is springing to mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008 08:04:03 AM »

Hi Shellerina  - I am Galway too:) Good to see a Galway Craftster.

LolaRose has moved to Middle Street, just up from the Amnesty shop. The new shop is lovely. The newish Anthony Ryan Homestore has wool and needles. The other Anthony Ryans used to have ribbon - not sure if it still does. The Singer Shop has ribbon and embroidery/needlepoint supplies,etc.

Places like Maplins are good for tools if you do wire working/jewellery making. I got the pliers I use most from Lidl though:)

I get sewing supplies and bits and pieces from Euro shops and sometimes Lidl/Aldi.

I'd be lost without the 'net though - I order a lot of beads that way. I got my freezer paper in a swap - have never seen it here. I get sent things like Sharpies, KoolAid and Shrinky-Dinks in swaps too.

Forgot to say that Woodies have paper crafting supplies/card making materials. Smiths have similar supplies too, at least they do in Claremorris.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 08:07:54 AM by Saor » THIS ROCKS   Logged

give-quiche-a-chance

9 10 a big fat hen! The name's Bender!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008 01:52:52 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm from the North but I've been to an awesome fabric shop in Dublin - T.W.I International, 181 Parnell Street. From the outside it doesn't look like a shop at all, I think you have to ring the bell to get in. they have loads of industrial sewing machines and haberdashery on the ground floor and all the fabric upstairs.
They have most types of fabric that you don't usually find in the smaller fabric shops - wool, denim, full leather skins, velvet etc.

Their website - http://www.fabricsireland.com

I love LM Ruban too - Westbury Mall, for ribbons and trimmings, beautiful but very expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009 02:39:00 PM »

Hi ya I live in Co Clare. I get most of my stuff on trips out of the country. London mostly.

freezer paper, no we dont have it here, it is waxed on one side, so when you use it for stencilling you iron on the waxed side to fabric and it will stick, waxed on both sides will not be great for your iron! I guess the way around it might be to use regular waxed paper, and cut it and a thin paper stencil at the same time, then iron it onto fabric as a kind of sandwich with waxed paper in the middle. regular baking parchment or greaseproof paper wont work btw, as its not waxed (Which is hard to get)

You could always do like I did and do a personal swap with a craftster from the US (also a good way to get supplies)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aka_Breeno

Crazy is as crazy looks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010 06:03:41 PM »

Poppycock!! & IrishAngel: Helooooooo!!!

Im from Dunleer (I know, pity me!lol) didnt realise there was a fabric shop in dundalk! Thanks, Ill have to pop in next time, its definitly a lot closer than Dublin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/breeno

Up for personal swaps especially inchies, ATC's and twinchies! Cheesy

Currently crafting my first Quilt! ..Any help,hints or Sanity Pills ( Tongue ) is greatly appreciated!
Lanysmiles
the conscience midget

it helps to smile, once in a while

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010 01:45:06 AM »

I was really sure I had already posted here!
I'm from Ireland, County Cork, working in Cork city atm, but usually in college in Limerick.

There's three wool/embroidery thread shops in Limerick- hickeys, Lenas and the singer shop (on Foxes Bow-almost across from Lenas), and then theres Easons, Mahonys, The eductaion shop (thomas st i think! [the street parallel to William st not at the cruses st side!]), and Shines (just off thomas st) (I think, its the big place with loads of paint and promarkers etc, it has an old wooden floppy disc and ruler and pen on the wall outside- anyway this place is great for paper!) for stationary and papers.
There was also a place opening in Arthurs Quay- dunno if that happened or not.

In Cork what I've found so far- Cork Art Supplies (Expensive if you want speialist supplies- but sometimes plain paper and card is cheap), Cork Wool Shop (Near Claires/English Market), Cork Craft Supplies (in St Pauls- it has really expanded its range in the last few months), Vibes and Scribes (On Lavitts Quay) (two shops, one for craft supplies like beads and paper crafts the other has wool and lots of books and notepads etc, and a range of fabric)  And there's a Hickeys here too.

Thats all I've found (but I've only been using my lunch break to explore Cork!)

anyone have any more places I should visit? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bitchflakes

fabric mutilator.....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011 07:03:43 AM »

Hey everyone...been lurking around craftster for a year and only finding this section hehe....yeap i'm from northern ireland....thought i'd say hello all  Wink
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011 07:05:22 AM by bitchflakes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011 02:04:29 PM »

hey bitchflakes..welcome!..this is a fairly quiet board..but its my new resolution to change that. Time for us few..sadly few crafters on this side of the world to start chatting, swapping and meeting up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011 04:51:42 AM »

I was also sure I posted here before! Evidently not Cheesy

I live in Dublin, and after being exposed to the wonders of the internet, I'm fairly disappointed at the range of sewing stuff in here. Murphy Sheehys and the Woollen Mills are my favourite shops and I'm constantly asking them for weird stuff but they're starting to recognise my requests for paper hexagons and fat quarters lol.

By the way poppycock! You can't get freezer paper in Dublin, trust me on this. What you can do though is do a swap with someone in America and/or Canada and ask them very nicely to send you some. It's great stuff! I got an entire roll of it that I've barely made a dent in!

I'd be all up for a Dublin Craftster meet up if I wasn't so shy about meeting new people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011 05:56:11 PM »

thingsivemade..ah sure you wouldn't be shy about meeting me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steamdrunk
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011 04:40:09 PM »

HI!

I'm living in Dublin, and just getting back into making costumes again! so good to see fellow costumiers around here. Has anyone checked out re-dress.ie? it was recommended by a friend to me, has some rockin little courses like corsetry and french knicker and cocktail evenings...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011 05:05:02 PM »

that re-dress site looks good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steamdrunk
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011 05:35:10 PM »

Yeah i'm thinkin about headin to the french knicker and cocktail evening, sounds like fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011 08:31:54 AM »

thingsivemade..ah sure you wouldn't be shy about meeting me!

That's true, I wouldn't! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011 02:04:33 PM »

steamdrunk..that sounds like fun..I would love the corseting class.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DEGO
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011 08:26:41 AM »

Hey people! I'm from Fermanagh... last craft I did was a card for my Gran but wanna start making more! We have a few shops here, The buttermarket, crabtree cottage and cottage industries and fabric shop... Would love to get to some of the courses from re-dress.ie they seem really good!

Nice talking to you all!!

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011 03:16:21 PM »

DEGO hi! so nice to see a few more people from Ireland on the boards!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Foliage with an Angular Bristle Brush
How to Draw
Pen and Ink Tutorial: Drawing from Observation
How to Stipple
How to Paint Outdoors
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...