A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hook preferences  (Read 3552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scubagirl
« on: March 09, 2006 10:04:08 AM »

Hi, I'm new to crochet (been knitting for over a year now) and just received Debbie's book "Happy Hooker" and have decided to finally learn how to crochet as well. 

I was wondering what material do most of you like to crochet with, metal vs wooden hooks?  Bamboo vs plastic vs metal etc. Do you have a preferrable brand name of hooks.  I'm thinking of investing in the "Crochet Master" so that I may have every size available.  Lily Chin has also showed me the benefit of knitting with crochet hooks in beading and finishing off edges as well as an easier way to bind off.  I'm so syked about learning crochet, I've always been envious of the crochet patterns in my knitting mags that I can't do anything with. 

Also want to thank all of you on your great tips that I'm picking up about this new crochet world I'm joining, great forum! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If You're Lucky Enough To Live in the Florida Keys, You're Lucky Enough.
cicisunflower
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006 10:10:18 AM »

Personally, I've never used wood/bamboo hooks. Heck, I've never even seen them. I've used metal since I started 15 years ago, but just crossed over to plastic a couple of months ago. Between those two, they seem to work fairly equal to each other.

As far as yarn goes, I started of with the basic Red Heart. The fuzzier yarns make it harder to see the stitches and know where to insert your hook.

Good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006 10:39:10 AM »

I like my metal hooks, but a year ago I started making my own wooden hooks and theyre not that bad. hatehatehate plastic hooks, theyre worthless in my opinion. Cheap brands tend to snap if you work them too hard, and often theres a rough edge where it seeped out of the mold that you have to file down.

I agree with starting with red heart. It's cheap and it's easy to work with. Buy a skein of it and go through the stitch exercises early on in the book. Itll get you used to the stitches and give you some practice. Then you can graduate on to better yarns as you work on the patterns Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006 10:52:43 AM »

Hey scubagirl,
Hope you enjoy crocheting and knitting equally well. I'm a much more proficient knitter than crocheter and just bought Happy Hooker. The instructional parts are good. I also like The Encyclopedia of Crochet - the drawings for  everything are both right & left handed, if that matters to you.
As with knitting, I find some fibers work better with metal, some with plastic, some with wood. I like hooks that are pointy (Like Boye makes). My favorite plastics are the Bayleen II...pointed and well-finished (no rough edges & I've had no breaking problems so far). And also like knitting, smooth yarns are better for seeing individual stitches and are less frustrating when beginning, I think.
Can't wait to see you post some FOs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arabella
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006 08:42:43 PM »

scubagirl!  off topic, but I loooooove diving!  even more than I love crocheting.  Smiley

ok, I have only used metal (I think they are alum?) hooks.  I usually use Boye, but I know often newbies like Bates because the shape of the hook helps you hold the yarn a little bit better.   ITA with start with the cheap stuff and leave the fuzzy yarns alone till you're confident, or you'll get frustrated and give up and we definitely don't want that!

btw, I have heard amazing things about the Clover hooks but I have never tried.  I have also never tried plastic.

welcome to craftster and to the crochet forum!! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustielong2001
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006 04:30:24 AM »

Love, Love, Love Clover hooks!  I have some wooden ones that are great-but since I get pounced on by the dog quite often when I am working I don't use them much.  Too expensive to break!  Plastic ones are ok-but I have had to smooth out the edges with a fingernail file.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://bethanybeads.etsy.com
Use Coupon Code HOLIDAY for 25% discount!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006 04:51:21 AM »

I got a learn to crochet set from wal-mart. IT came with hooks, markers, and a book. I bought more hooks because my daughter lost one I use the most, and wanted more small ones. They're aluminium, Boyle brand.

They're inexpensive, but seem to be a good quality. I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Rottie Mom
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006 05:19:49 AM »

Hooks and stuff really are individual tastes!  I LOVE Susan Bates silvalumes and also love Susan Bates plastic hooks.  I cannot work with Boye hooks as they don't seem as smooth to me.

I knit with bamboo knitting needles, wouldn't use anything else, but the bamboo crochet hook I am not so sure.  Only tried my tiny bamboo hook with 100% cotton sport yarn, not so great,  so I need to try my other hooks with other yarns before I make a valid judgement.

I think "The Happy Hooker" is the best resource for beginners.  I started crocheting last November and the learning curve is much smaller than in knitting.  Debbie Stoller's book covers things very well.  There are 2 other books that are very, very helpful:  "The Crochet Answer Book" and "The Encyclopedia of Crochet".  The latter is loaded with different stitch pattern if you want to design your own item.

I love both knitting and crochet but crochet has the edge becuase it is easier to learn and works up really fast Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rachelofthree
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006 07:10:47 AM »

My vote is for metal...steel, more specifically...because I'm an almost 100% thread crocheter.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006 07:34:49 AM »

This question made me think!  I knew what brand of hooks I used but I wasn't sure if they were metal or plastic so had to go check.

All my yarn hooks are plastic AERO brand (but they are very hard plastic - in fact, I thought they were metal until I clinked one against my teeth just now and they are definitely plastic.)

That's what my Mom used and so that's what I learned on 30+ years ago, plus, when my grandma died 16 years ago, I inherited her hook collection and they were all AERO, and, our local craft store only carries that brand.  I have no problem with them.

But, for thread, it's totally steel for me - I have a variety of brands since I've purchased some and had some given to me and I don't like or dislike any over the others.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006 07:36:37 AM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeovers Season 3 Trailer
Why Your Dry Nails Are Peeling, and How to Fix Them!
Rihanna Makeup Tutorial
How to Look Good Even When You’re Sick
How to Get Rid of a Breakout Instantly
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...