A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper stars - stellated happiness [pix] TRY#2 -updates p.9, 11, 17, 18; tut p.15  (Read 57513 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2007 11:51:59 AM »

you'll have to get custom made boxes to send them in.. Wink
How do you work your drawings? Sorry of this has been posted, but I didn't notice anyone asking... I mean about the position, everything you've drawn is so neatly lined up, where the edges meet. Do you measure it or just have really good eyes for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
SuperStinger
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2007 12:16:56 PM »

I usually eyeball it, and if its not symmetrical i edit a little in photoshop, when i go to copy and rotate the triangle to the rest of the net. The first few patterns I did i used no tracing and no computer, then i started drawing only a few triangles and tracing them onto the rest with a lamp under a glass table, then I got access to a scanner. Obviously, the photoshop way comes out the cleanest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2007 12:47:04 PM »

Clever. I did think of photoshop too, but then I got the idea in my head that I wouldn't be patient enough for all the rotating.. Grin
Then again, comparing to drawing each triangle by hand... we'll see if I give up before I've even finished my first Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
SuperStinger
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2007 02:29:40 PM »

once you figure out the angle one time, if you're patient enough to write it down before you hit the checkmark (which i usually forget to do), you can just repeat that. or multiply it, so you dont have to rotate a rotated thing. Cause since its bitmappy instead of vectory, it seems to distort and blur just a little each time you change the size or angle. For stars that are actual mathy stellations, I can go check with this Great Stella program for my angles, otherwise its just a tedious zoomed-way-in trial and error thing.  A friend's gonna give me Illustrator soon, which I've never used, but since that one's vectory it might be better for making or applying designs. Keep shit scalable and rotatable and more flexible. I hope.
To do the triangle drawings, i keep a couple blank nets around and doodle a bunch of different triangles. To aim for symmetry i kinda eyeball a centerline down the middle, in light pencil, and any horizontal lines i think i might need too, trying to be parallel to the bottom. Usually, thats actually enough and no editing is really needed.
If you come up with an easier way to do any of this, please share!!!
And by the way... do you think that maybe using photoshop to help me makes the finished stars less cool or valuable or something? Cause to me it feels just a little like cheating. Like, why completely hand-color if I'm not going to completely hand-draw? If I'm using photoshop to assist in the drawing, why not just print it out colored? Tracing with a light table seems like less serious cheating. But maybe nowadays using computers doesn't diminish anything. I don't really know how it's perceived.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2007 02:35:50 PM »

cheating is great.. Grin The easiest way to do this would probably to let 3DSMax do the work, if you figured out how to... you should be able to set it to "outwards is upwards" and then map the image to one vertex, and automatically have it fill in the rest... then flatten the shape just like Stella does.
But don't ask me how Grin
There's a more programatical than graphical program, called. something-ray-something.. can't remember.. that could probably do it as well. And I think that one is free, but maybe more difficult if you're not used to syntax.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007 02:36:53 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuperStinger
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2007 03:36:14 PM »

wow, thanks for the software suggestions! i gotta look into those!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2007 10:24:47 AM »

POV-ray was the name of the other one Cheesy Just remembered it, figured it might be worth mentioning.. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2007 10:32:24 AM »

this has actually gotten me thinking about the possibility of making a program for this myself, borrowing the templates from that site, and just.. have a sort of function which allows you to import one single image, and it'll be mapped onto every triangle.. shouldn't be too hard to do if I figure out how to make my program use the printer, and if I get the time for it.. if I did, it'd be very basic though..
just thinking out loud Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purevitality
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2007 10:47:25 AM »

I cannnnnnot wait to do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
maddiesmibbs
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2007 06:53:35 PM »

Oh wow, those are gorgeous.  I can't imagine the patience that must have taken to color those things.  How long does it take?  I might get started on the star madness, but I'd probably just print them out on colored paper because I'm laaaazy.

As for selling...I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet (sorry, I'm not going to read through 19 pages), but have you considered donating them?  If you could get connected to a good (and possibly star related?) organization, and just sell the stars at a stand or something saying that 50% of the profits goes to ____.  In my experience, people are a lot more willing to pay a lot for something if they know its going to a good cause, and are a lot more willing to donate something if they get smoething back.  Just an idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Using an Element from a 4:3 Comp in a 16:9 Comp
Adobe Production Studio - Setting Up a New Composition
Adobe Production Studio - Lower Thirds
Adobe Production Studio - Masking Out an Area and Using Pathfinder to Crop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Background for the Bug
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...