A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper stars - stellated happiness [pix] TRY#2 -updates p.9, 11, 17, 18; tut p.15  (Read 57519 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2007 11:00:30 AM »

Love the new ones!
You are a great artist.
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuperStinger
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2007 11:47:58 AM »

I think the easiest one is the small stellated dodecahedron on one page. http://www.korthalsaltes.com/gif/small_stellated_dodecahedron.gif
It's all made from one piece, so fold all the lines before you start gluing.
There's a little tutorial for that one on page 15.

I started by making blank ones, and spraypainting them when they were all done. Then I started doodling on them, repeating the same doodle on all 60 triangles. That sucked, so then I started scanning in doodles and rotating them onto the other 59 triangles in photoshop. Honestly, that sucks too and I really wish I could figure out a better way.

I guess I'd suggest doing one or two blank ones of each shape you wanna make, so if the first one doesn't turn out too hot at least you didn't waste all the time coloring it first. When you're confident you can put it together nicely and not step on it like I did, decorating the nets before folding is less risky, and it's cool cause you can use neat color schemes, where the colors don't sit next to themselves, a lot easier before it's folded than afterwards. Another reason to do blanks is it's way way way faster. I made almost a hundred of different shapes and sizes in a few months by NOT slowing myself down with colored pencils. Now it's slow cause it takes longer to color them than to do all the construction. But those little 1-page small stellated dodecahedra are the easiest and fastest, I think. That's why I have a bazillion of them and only a few of all the other stars I've found nets for. Try it, you'll like it. And score the lines before you fold them, you'll like that too.

-----------------------

Say I wanted to do my outlining *raised*. Like in black or gray like a stained glass or gold like a cloisonne before it gets sanded down. I know the Jelly Roll brand has pens that are supposed to come out raised, but I haven't found out if they work very well and since they're only sold in expensive sets, I haven't tried it myself yet in case they fail. Has anyone tried those? Or know of another pen-like gizmo that'll give embossed lines?

Also, I'm interested about weights. Little tiny weights. Like beads maybe, but tiny HEAVY ones. And cheap. Something I could glue into the bottom to help it hang straight if I messed up somewhere. Anyone know where such a thing might be bought?

And fishing-type net. Something without too much stretch, and with decent sized holes. Something I could get a lot of at once, like, say, 12' X 27', or 15' X 21'. So obviously, something very cheap. They use perfectly nice net as the disposable packaging on all kinds of crap, like tennis balls, so it shouldn't cost the crazy money I'm seeing on ebay for a nice huge piece of fishing net. No, it should be very cheap. I just don't know where it's hiding.

And what about empty thread spools and various sizes of plain square boxes? And is there sprayable foam that'll mold itself into the shape left by the indentations of the crap you spray it around? I think I heard about something like that, but failed to get details, and now I need it. Because shipping is impossible and neither UPS, FedEx, nor the US Mail is willing to refrain from throwing, kicking, and forklift-puncturing boxes nicely marked "FRAGILE". They say so on their websites. So does anyone know anything about companies that ship fragile things gently from Detroit to California?

"- LOL - sorry for the questions."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007 11:50:24 AM by SuperStinger » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lipzilla
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2007 12:16:00 PM »

Many thanks for your recommendation for where to start as a beginner.  Again, your stars are gorgeous.

You asked about weights:  Maybe check in the sporting goods section for metal fishing line sinkers, they come in small sizes and might be what you need for some weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2007 05:02:43 AM »

Hello

I would check fishing supplies for the weights you are looking for. Lots of interesting stuff there.

I've shipped stars packed in packing peanuts. Those styrofoam ball type things. They shipped just fine to Canada and Washington State from Virgiania. I got my boxes at a package store. It was $1 for a 8x8 box.That shipped the small dodecahedron (large version). 10 x 10 box is better for the large stellated star. More bumping room.

Have you checked the Dollar Tree type stores for the net. Look in the kid toy section. I"ve seen it druing summer months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuperStinger
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2007 10:46:09 AM »

After a long time of being down, my starpage is back up as of today!!! yay!!!!!! first update now, more to come very soon. Just as fast as I can take (and choose) pictures!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012 11:21:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2007 02:14:28 PM »

Wow! Shocked Amazing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
SuperStinger
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2007 08:07:17 AM »

Few more...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012 11:13:31 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2007 09:33:45 AM »

Gods these are pretty... I've printed one out to try it out, gonna color it as soon as my brain wakes up one of these days Wink
What paper do you use? I only have cardstock-thick-enough-to-damage-my-printer and my normal printer paper, which is a bit flimsy all things considered... (I guess the clever thing to do would be to trace a template, but I don't have the patience for that)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2007 09:36:30 AM »

Superstinger~ glad your stars are back up. The new additions are awesome.

How did shipping your stars go? Did they travel well?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuperStinger
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2007 09:56:40 AM »

ug, I still havent shipped them out yet. But a friend came up with a very clever idea for keeping them safe that i'm gonna try. Regular printer paper works fine, but the especially flimsy kind makes especially delicate stars. Which is my big shipping problem, really. I used too weak paper for the biggest one. oooooops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer 2013 Essential Swimwear
How to Dress Like Model Cara Delevingne
How to Get the Mila Kunis Look
How to Get a Great Wedding Guest Look
The Fashion Industry Needs To Nix Body Labels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...