A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper stars - stellated happiness [pix] TRY#2 -updates p.9, 11, 17, 18; tut p.15  (Read 57061 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meggieliz

west of the moon / east of the sun

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2006 02:56:33 PM »

Beautiful...I used to know how to make "Polish stars" (which is what we called them, I don't know what they're actually called), which just involved folding cardstock, but these are so much more intricate and cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a shower, shine your shoes - you got no time to lose.
jenidala23
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2006 08:03:49 PM »

Hey those stars are really cool. Im going to make some when i gots the time. So has anyone used vellum or anything like that transpareny? What about paper doilies? although im pretty sure those wouldn't work. but it would be neat to see a star with a bunch of holes in it for the light to show through. congratulations on starting the coolest trend in '06!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oshiyay
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2006 03:58:14 PM »

I think your art work on the stars is fantastic.I think you should sell the artwork imposed on the stars as a CD. I would sell a CD for about $19.95 to start.You could do series I,II,etc. As an alternative you could do what the guy at peramodels does:

see http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~kpd/member.html

I joined peramodels and make them for my Christmas tree. They are unbreakable!

I have been reading you posts and I think you are grossly underestimating your value and the value of your talent. You should be paid for the art work not laboring at gluing together stellated whatevers. you've told everyone how to do it someone is going to take YOUR idea and run with it. If you were to put together a CD I would like to buy it (PDF)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2006 07:32:52 PM »

I totally agree with the last poster.. I would buy a CD with the designs on, I  could make the stars easy enough but am not patient enough for the drawing part..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperStinger
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2006 10:16:01 PM »

Some of the designs are drawn on blanks made by someone else, that I got on another website. If I were to try to sell drawings I'd made on his drawings, I'd need permission from him and I'd need to work out a royalties type compensation with him right? I really appreciate your interest in buying the drawings. I would TOTALLY like to set that up. I just want to make sure I don't screw over the people who've so generously made available the blanks that got me started in the first place and which I drew my designs on top of. So if a CD cost $19.95, and maybe half of the included ready-to-color stars used as their base someone else's blank net, how much would be appropriate to give the author of the blank nets per CD? I could re-make them on my own so they didn't use his specific flattenned net, but even then, I'd have used what he provided as the guide for my version, making use of work someone else had originally done.
I'm gonna try to get this worked out soon, so I can set up CDs, and I'll message you both (oshiyay and jnaos) when I have something for you.
When I was very little I got it into my head to bake cookies and see if I could sell them in my neighborhood. It was pretty much a success, but when I came home my mom wanted most of the money I'd made, explaining that I'd used her ingredients and her oven and her kitchen to make them. This made perfect sense, so I learned my lesson about not trying to profit from other peoples stuff. But if two people already would be willing to pay $20 and it wouldn't require hours of coloring and gluing on my part, that's a hell of a deal that I'm more than excited to jump on. It really sounds like its worth doing - I just want to make sure I do it right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oshiyay
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2006 03:36:53 AM »

Your effort and results are terrific.

Roy Lichtenstein used others original ideas and changed the format. I don;t think there was any copywrite problem there. The polyhedra is offered free. You are changing them considerably. I don't mean to diminish the effort of the person creating the forms. they are fantastic. But is the concept of a sphere projected on paper copywritable by this person? Are those plans for creating the forms original? The forms themselves have been around for quite a while  since the ancient Greeks. I'm not sure if the forms themselves are copywriteable (is that a word?). I'm sure that your art is copywriteable and could stand on it's own. the designs are original and unique. The forms themselves I don't believe are. Does Rand McNally pay a copywrite  or royalty fee to the person who created the globe projection (and would that person be Mercator?) I want to pay for your art on the stars . I love your art. It's so tessellated and Escherlike.
My plan is to use them in my  classes as an extension of math and art. I also enjoy making paper models and would make them for myself.

If your very concerned about the issues you could always ask for permission from the person who has the polyhedra web site. That site is fantastic for geometric forms.There is a link to you from there already. That's how I ended up here.  I understand your concerns. I am not an attorney ;I am an art teacher. You could also create those punch out books that are sold in Barnes and Nobles. But I think you could get more bang for your buck on the CD idea. You could also include the designs that could be copied and put on to other forms, as in textures. Perhaps adobe would also be interested in buying your original designs to be included in one of their products. I think there are lots of places you could go with this. But the one thing I know is that you don't want to spend your time cutting and gluing stars together. You want to spend your time creating art ie; your designs.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitkabbit
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2006 11:10:06 AM »

wow, these are really great.  =)
I think i have to go make some of these now!
~k
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hzxcrafts
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2006 07:06:25 AM »

wow,they are so beautifu! you look like very professional
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cngiftsmall.com     100% handicrafts

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=137270.0  look the beautiful crochet flowers
leaguegirl
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2006 10:25:28 AM »

and which I drew my designs on top of.

In my opinion, YOUR designs are what make these stars so fantastic. I could totally see you being a very successfull textile/fabric designer. I am obsessed with your designs on the third star down on page 11. I would just about kill to have that as wallpaper. As you have said earlier, anyone can make these stars, they are easy (your words, Wink I have not been able to do it yet). But I think that it is, your drawings and designs that has turned this into a thirteen page thread. They are amazing. Can't wait to see more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcolleenerx
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2006 04:28:31 PM »

Those are great! I definitely wanna try and make some to make my dorm room a little prettier Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Layered Magic Chocolate Cake Recipe
How to Make Your Own Biscotti
How to Make Football Shaped Whoopie Pies
Eccles Cakes Recipe
How to Make a One-Pot Almond Crumble Cookie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...