A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper stars - stellated happiness [pix] TRY#2 -updates p.9, 11, 17, 18; tut p.15  (Read 57067 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2006 01:32:14 AM »

These stars are just some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! Your designs and colouring are breath-taking! You really should try selling them. I can completely see them turning up in the pages of some fancy style magazine as the latest thing to have. Kits would be good too, so it would be easier to sell by post. You could do ones with your designs printed on for people to colour & build, and one that are coloured and cut out by you ready to be constructed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andiesmith
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2006 02:11:01 PM »

these are absolutly fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Andie~~
niff
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2006 04:20:15 AM »

theyre amazing, but me and my housemate tried to make them but how?!? help! please, thanks! we tried to use the pattern thing from the link but still failed miserably, do the letters go together or what?? jennie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?
SuperStinger
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2006 06:26:33 AM »

For a lot of the patterns, each point has a letter. So the whole first point is point A. Another point would have a tab that sez "A" which attaches to somewhere on point A.
An easier one would maybe be the first page of http://waxor.com/~child/pdfs/stars/small_stellated_dodecahedron_v3.pdf
or page 10 of http://waxor.com/~child/pdfs/stars/colored-kepler-poinsot.PDF
because the whole star is made out of one piece of paper. Once you glue the individual points (first glue the long tabs before you start worrying about the short tabs), it sorta makes itself clear where each one (short tab) should be glued.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RunsWithNeedles
chyeah

i like to get naked.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2006 04:50:57 PM »

looooooooove them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sit right next to me<br />Against the glass<br />Where we both can see<br />Focus on the ground<br />Disbelief of where we used to be<br />--"Troposphere" by Steve Burns--
forlornvanity
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2006 03:27:02 PM »

those look so hard to make.
way cute, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2006 12:52:07 PM »

So pretty! Oh my gosh. Love.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
MariskaLovesCrafts
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2006 03:03:50 PM »

Your stars are beautiful! The patterns are really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MotionIsPantomime
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2006 08:14:14 AM »

I bought something like that when I went to Disney Land a really long time ago. But mine is just a regular star, upside down with a cord that goes into a slit between two of the points and has a lightbulb that attaches by tying a string around the cord.
Pretty simplistic, and definately not as beautiful as yours. The paper is pretty thin and light, looks homemade or at least recycled. The light bulb is just a regular run-of-the-mill type. So I'm pretty sure you'd be safe going with just a smaller watt bulb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homestar
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2006 08:19:46 PM »

AWESOME.

I know what I'm making my FIL for Christmas.  He would LOVE this stuff!

I have a question about the patterns...  how do you get them to repeat and line up so perfectly?  I won't be using Illustrator or anything...  so how did you do it in the beginning, before you started using the computer?  How can you tell what direction to orient the pattern?  I think I would get two sides of the point correct and then the third would have the pattern upside down or something...

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT:  I went back and re-read this thread, and then I decided to play...  I made a mark-up version out of a plain white piece of paper...  I get it!  And I understand how I could make the pattern and then re-trace it...  WOW these stars will take a long time to make.  I'm in awe of the number and beauty of the ones that you have done!  Here is my practice one:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/lady_gerbil/craftster/IMG_2406.jpg

(You can see the craftster "edit post" screen in the background  Wink)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012 11:18:21 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 DIY Body Scrubs
LORAC Touch-Up to Go Concealer and Foundation Pen Review
Deconstructed Rose Lip Gloss Library Review
Eye Makeup Tutorial: Applying Eye Shadow
Hard Candy Take Me Out Blue Liner Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...