A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm new! SS embroidery idea, need help  (Read 869 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saraisabee
« on: March 08, 2006 03:03:48 PM »

Hi there,

I'm new, to posting on craftster and to embroidery.  Usually I stick to knitting and jewelry making, but when I saw Sublime Stitching I couldn't resist!

So I have an idea.  I was thinking about being able to wear my embroidery, but don't like how permanent it is for certain clothing items.  I had an idea - if I could figure out how to embroider a pin/brooch type thing, I could wear my embroidery on any clothing!  But I'm having trouble coming up with a blank I could embroider onto that could be turned into a pin, it would have to be sturdier than regular fabric.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006 06:15:39 PM »

I've not tired this yet myself, but I want to try embrodering oin some flannel & painting the back with Eileens Tack it over & over.    Then oyu just smooth it on & take it off when you want to change your look
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wandalicious
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006 09:28:36 PM »

What if you embroidered on felt (which apparently is easy) and then put like velcro on the back and somehow stuck it on your clothes? That sounds weird, but it might work!

Or are you thinking of sewing it to your clothes, and then unsewing it and resewing it? This is such an intriguing idea! Show us when you are done, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geobabe

I'm moving to Africa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006 12:12:27 AM »

My friend Trifarina makes these cool embroidered patches, like these she made for the Buggy Swap (I hope irid3sc3nt doesn't mind that I'm bragging on her swap booty!)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=80116.msg756678#msg756678

She does them from stained glass patterns, outlines them with black thread and then fills them in with satin stitch.  her little secret is to embroider on artificial felt, she claims it's stiff enough that you don't need a hoop.  She separates all 6 strands of the floss (removing the spin) so that they all lay flat when she puts them back together to fill in the satin stitch.  Perfectly smooth.  After filling in, she cuts them out and then does something she calls "overstitching" which I assume is just stitching around the edge to cover the edge of the felt.  Maybe irid3sc3nt can tell us more detail about the construction. 

I should mention that Trifarina has gone to sea on a research ship for a month, otherwise I'd be pressuring her to post a tutorial instead of trying to relate a method I've never tried myself.  I miss you trifarina!

anyway hope this helps somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuluB
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006 08:45:36 AM »

i do a lot of embroidery work on felt (for my little baby company, "my imaginary boyfriend").  i even make pins and broaches using felt and embroidery and it is indeed super easy.

i would use a wool or wool blend felt as opposed to the stuff you find at the craft store, it's sturdier and is easier to work with.  also, when working with felt, i'd reccommend not using a hoop.  i've tried with and without and it's much easier and nicer looking when finished, if you don't.  it will get a tad puckery while you work but all you need to do is hit it with a steam iron when you're done and all the puckers will come out.

hope this helps,
erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Sarah Rayne Reveals the Inspiration Behind House of the Lost
Radio Aficionado John Osborne Becomes a Radio Head
Elyssa East Talks About Her Book: Dogtown
Bestselling Author Anita Diamant: Day After Night
Bruno Hare on "The Lost Kings"
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...