A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visiting Houston -stuff to do?  (Read 1425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beat Nonney
« on: March 08, 2006 01:56:10 PM »

Hey fellow craftsters-
I'm going to be in Houston next week for work, and luckily I'll have a bit of time to check out your fair city (and to see the Polysics Wed night. Yea!)

Would anyone be willing to share recommendations on cool stuff to see/do?
Any great vegetarian-friendly mexican or pizza restaurants?
Are there any cool shopping areas? -you know, like record stores, underground comic stores, hip clothing areas?
The mall in Chinatown looks pretty cool. Is it worth checking out?

I promise if any of you ever visit St. Louis, MO I'll make you a big long list!
Kisses-
Beat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetestangel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 03:27:04 PM »

There is a very yummy veggie restaruant called Field of Greens on West Alabama, Star Pizza on Norfolk has some yummy veggie friendly pizzas, umm... Tien Fu great chinese place that can make anything on the menu veggie and is amazing, I know there are other places, but I just had a friend visit who is recently turned veggie (last 2 years)  and she LOVED those places, and I love them which is funny cause I know it is hard to go out as a carnivore/veggie match, my sister is also veggie/vegan....

Cool stuff, the zoo is actually awesome , and there is the Japanese Garden in Herman Park that rocks. 
Comic stores, there is Nan's off of 59S that is awesome, and if you are into gaming DragonsBreath on Richmond is good. 
Mucky Duck Pub is a great place for live music, Monday is open mike, Wednesday is Celtic session.
There is Black Dog Records by Star Pizza and they are pretty nifty.

*ponders*   The Galleria is interesting, but overpriced and completely commercial.  There is a farmer's market Wednesday and Saturday on Richmond, in one of the parking lots.

I know there is more, but I am blanking... OH! Montrose, *grin* TONS of awesome little stores and funky shops, generally just pick a spot and start walking, the Westhiemer corridor in the Montrose area is the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why do some people think being a parent is only something to do when it is convenient for you?
Beat Nonney
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006 10:42:49 AM »

Awesome! Thank you so much!
I'm so excited to see your city!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andjax
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006 08:28:46 PM »

The Heights is an older neighborhood in Houston with lots of cool little shops. I'm attaching a link to an event called First Saturday that takes place in the Heights every month. I know you won't be here on a 1st Saturday, but the shops are still open and this site has a good list of places to poke around.

http://www.heightsfirstsaturday.com/

I don't know if it will be open, but there is this bizarre place with all things metal that doesn't have a name and is hardly ever open. But if you go into an open air store with metal stuff tucked in from floor to sky and wall to wall, you'll find some crazy stuff. Make sure you've had your tetanus shot first.  Smiley

My favorite restaurant is Cafe Artiste. It is on the corner of Mandell and W. Main in Montrose. That is within walking distance of the Menil and Rothko Chapel. Both are free and both are all about modern art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reduce, recycle, reuse
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Portrait Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Panorama Stitch Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Night Portrait Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Museum Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Manual Focus Function
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...