A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bathingsuit  (Read 977 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsnikki
« on: March 08, 2006 01:17:01 PM »

I was thinking of making my bathingsuit this year. A daunting task, since I'm a plus size chica. I'm thinking of making it more tankini style with bottoms that are pretty high-ish on the waist. I don't know what style would suit me best as far as the cut, though. I don't know if the regular... panty-ish bottom or boyshort bottom would work best. Probably boyshort, right? But I'm short, only 5'3". Would'nt that make me look... shorter? What would y'all suggest as far as yarn to use? I know not to use cotton, because it would sag. But I don't know what else to use. I'd have to order it online, we only have Walmart around here. And I don't think there's an LYS in Mississippi. Heh. What would y'all suggest I line it with? I don't know... I was just hoping y'all could help me... this is just a thought, I don't know if I'll actually DO it, because I *know* it'll cost more than buying one, but I'm thinking I could put together a nicer, original, and longer-lasting product myself.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
gypsy_queen
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006 01:27:47 PM »

...i've been meaning to make myself a bathing suit for like the past three years...tee hee...i never really started one because i have the same questions as you, and around here in pennsylvania, no one has made a bathing suit that i know of for me to ask the basic--what do you make it out of question...i will be eye-ing this board for a reply that actually answers you...

...sorry i couldn't be of help...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsnikki
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006 01:43:42 PM »

I'm almost rethinking it. Because I see all sorts of people talking about how they sag and stretch and ugh. I want it to LAST if I'm going to wear it, even though I hope I'm not quite this big next summer. Maybe I'll just make a cute coverup? Or some cute tanks or something. I don't know.

gypsy_queen, someone suggested http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=katrina&SPP=30, said it was nice and stretchy... I think I may make one, but when I'm considerably smaller. I'd have to buy too much yarn at the moment! haha. And I could probably buy a really nice bathingsuit for the price of the yarn/lining/sewing thread. I don't know... I'm picky anyways, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
hi_abbott
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006 06:57:13 PM »

I'm working on the bikini from snb happy hooker.  so far so well.  I'm not large, but I'm not what you'd call skinny either...just sort of chunky.  anyways, I'm making the straight up 'kini for my first attempt.  I'll modify my next one depending on how this tests out.  since I'm lining the important parts with swimming suit lining, I'm not too worried...and once I modify the next pattern to me, it shouldn't sag at all.  anyways, most suits sag, it's just that whatever material you use for it should be something that absorbs less water.  so using a lighter weight yarn such as lace weight, sock weight, or sport weight might work out better than worsted weight.  I'm using the size 2 (I'm using red heart Lustersheen because I couldn't find the brown sheep yarn in the stores near me). 

I'll post picks of the bikini (not on, that's for sure) when I'm done.

oh, and don't be disheartened by those who say they sag, the thing about crocheting is you can customize to your liking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006 08:09:22 PM »

I dont line my bathing suits... simply because I don't know how and I think it makes water stay in wrong places anyway... so yea. And cotton IS a good thing to use, just as long as its stretch cotton. Stretch anything machine washable. I'm highly petite too, size small 5'1 with bigger hips... I used to like boyshorts but I found that hipsters are much more flattering, especially scoop bottom hipsters. I think it would be better to make a one piece if you want to hid e ur stomach though, because it will make you look longer.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
hi_abbott
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006 09:47:56 PM »

lilmisspink, I just wanted to tell you that I love you suits on the completed board!!  I'm trying the lining on the suit I'm making now, just because it's in the pattern.  but this is just my intro into the world of making bikinis, I feel.  I'm on the petite side as well (5', which means tiny in height, and I'm not getting any taller) and I just feel having a custom suit will be much better.  we'll see.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006 09:54:34 PM »

Cheesy hi... hi... abbott  Huh

Well i'm not that old so hopefully I will get taller. My arms don't even fill out the length of sleeves on shirts and such so I usually wear tank tops. There are so many things for bigger sized people that it's hard to find stuff for tiny curvy people  Cheesy I need to get through a load of bikini orders and then hopefully I'll squeeze in a bikini for myself by July.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi_abbott
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006 05:52:22 PM »

I always hoped I'd grow taller...lol.  but at 13 I think I was probably 4'8" or shorter...lol.  honestly I don't notice it too much.  anyways, I'm getting closer on my bikini, and I can't wait to make my own version after this pattern.  I usually don't work from patterns either, but I mostly work on hats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006 05:56:32 PM »

hats... I like em, but never wear em. I look forward to seeing your bathing suit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi_abbott
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006 10:02:27 AM »

lol...I don't wear many hats either.  my friends really enjoy them, so they always ask for them...

anyways, I'm making progress on the suit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to change an Old Hairstyle for a New Look
How to get a New Look for Your Hair
How to Get Sexy Hair Waves with a Hair Straightener
How to Create Sexy Waves with a Ceramic Hair Flat Iron
How to Get Silky Smooth Straight Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...