A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Washing Vintage Fabric- really vintage / silks / obi  (Read 230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nico-tiro

Its Your Life!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2006 12:34:18 PM »

ok. this is a bit long coz i am so kind of bummed and just wanted to share in case anybody had any suggestions/ similar experiences with washing vintage fabric:

Yesterday I bought a box of 13+ vintage obi for 40$. the minimalist yuppie couple i bought it from had lived in japan for 5 years and were moving/downsizing their stuff. they were awsome and the obi is truly vintage.

i decide to try and wash two. of course i dont choose an 'uglier' one. i go right on and wash two pretty ones that i want to use..the first one came out ok...i used dish soap...i figured it was milder than detergent... a little color bleed. the second one, a beautiful one that has cranes, landscape, gold, trees, leaves really nice one all shades of dark greens...it was so dirty. and i killed it! i wasnt gentle enough. the fabric seemed to have grime in it, the water was all black/brown, there were little bits of dirt i could see forming on the tub (where i washed em).
it ripped and holes appeared in some places... it felt like the fabric was melting! little bits of gold dust were on my fingers. i didnt use any soap.

then i just stretched it flat hung them...the green one i layed on a drying rack.

tried to reasearch what era/period that kind of obi is and i think i may have washed something close to a 100 years old!. i feel terrible to say the least

here they are the next day

the red one

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Deal with Fine Hair
How to Cover Roots
How to Curl Long Hair
How to Cover Bald Patches for Women
How to Choose a Conditioner
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...