A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zen Room--straw mats as wallcovering  (Read 34190 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

padray
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006 11:00:04 PM »

Wicked!  Wow, I bet you were exhausted after!  GREAT job.  I'm clicking This Rocks right now!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006 08:35:26 AM »

Naked Ninja, I guess I'm not the only wacko who sees a straw mat and says, "What can I cover with that??!!"

Sounds like a great thing you did with your fishtank stand. Create a post for it!

I did. It was one of my very first posts on here like 3 years ago. The covering is actually still kicking even after our move last summer. No holes or cuts or ungluing. The cat hasn't even ever tried to claw it... on the contrary she seems to think of it as her secret hidout. Our newest family member (a spunky jack russell named Ozzy) hasn't even tried anything funny with it. Everyone asks me where I got the stand. I was once asked if I bought it at Pier1 Imports. Very exotic. The best part is that you can buy those mats at practically any dollar store in the spring and summer time.
Anyway I totally love what you did to your room and so does my bf. Maybe my art room will get a makeover this summer... who knows! hehe  Cheesy

Also this is the post about my fishtank. The pictures are really crappy because they were taken with an Intel digital camera that was bought over 6 years ago... probably a 1 megapixel or something shitty like that.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8767.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
DeadTrouble
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006 09:30:47 AM »

Wow, that's really awesome.

Why do you have to rip the blue ribbon off, though? Couldn't you just cover it with the khaki ribbon?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006 02:06:19 PM »

your room looks awesome!
i actually use those mats for everything! (i live in hawaii and they are everywhere and are super cheap here, like 99cents)
we have them over our bed, since we don't have much in the way of a head board, and i also have some on my lanai to catch dirt and sand as you come in, and i have em on my kitchen walls, since we rent we can't really paint the walls, so i hung a few mats, it's much more cozy. (plus i have like 3 in the trunk of my car for actually using at the beach Wink )

also, a few years ago, i think it was on trading spaces (when that show was really big and one of the few decorating shows like it) one of the designers did a room w/ those mats.

one thing i have noticed is that they can be hard to clean, have you run into this?
and if they get too wet/humid (like it is here at times) they can get a bit smelly. have you noticed this? or maybe my mats just need replacing. Smiley

anyway...your room is beautiful! you're so lucky to have it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

Good at everything...Great at nothing

i crafted a kid

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006 02:12:07 PM »

This is amazing!  I'm always trying to decorate on a budget. I love to make something out of nothing and have it turn out great.   I love how you thought outside of the box and use those mats instead of the overpriced wallpaper. Excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good at everything...Great at nothing
tejer
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006 05:30:24 PM »

The room looks fantastic!

By the way, I bought a couple of these mats from my dollar tree store about 3 months ago. I think the company that made it was tradewinds bay or something. If someone wants to do a spin off of what you have done here, they might have some luck finding the mats at dollar tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nadej22
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006 07:45:30 AM »

This is unbelievably creative!  Well done.  I'm saving this one in the back of my head for my new apartment...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006 10:06:44 AM »

That is GORGEOUS!!!  I am picking my jaw up off the floor now. 

I've always tried to come up with something cool to do with those mats.  I keep thinking about covering my bedroom floor in them.  The wood in there is ruined. 

Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
InvisibleCastle

A dream is a wish, your heart makes...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006 10:15:41 AM »

All I can say is: WOW! Shocked Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zengrrl

The Blue Morpho Goddess

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006 07:16:43 AM »

Thanks so much for all the feedback!!

To answer some questions:

It took about 3 days of a few hours a day to complete this project. This is a dry room, and I imagine this would work way better in a dry room than a damp one. I wouldn't do this in a bathroom. I think the mats would sag and smell in a damp room. Oh, and in case you were wondering, I did do a "burn test" in the sink with a match before I launched into this project--the stuff did not burn!

About leaving the blue edging on the mats...yeah, I guess I really could have left the edging on, in retrospect, though it might have made the edges lumpy once you put the ribbon over it. I originally hadn't planned to cover the edges, thinking they'd look fine raw, but I kind of made it up as I went along.

It's been over a year, and the first week or so it smelled like a petting zoo--you know, that hay smell. Smiley But the smell has gone away. The mats did fade a tad in the light and in a few places they did get a little "bubbly" but when I see one, I just stick a few more staples in and it's fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Is doing the hokey-pokey and turning yourself around really what it's all about?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Aioli to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
How to Plate a Roasted Chicken
How to Roast a Chicken
How to Make Chicken Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...