A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Dr. Seuss-Themed Playroom/Kids Room  (Read 6517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sisteroo
« on: August 26, 2011 10:41:58 AM »

(Tutorial pics at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/dr-seuss-playroom.html)

Oh, the THINKS you can THINK! Have you ever dreamed of having a bedroom/playroom painted with wild and colorful characters? I have had this dream since I was a young girl. I just moved into a beautiful home with a dedicated playroom, so my fantasy finally became a realistic project. Books are the best way to get inspiration for children's rooms and I have been a Seuss-lover my whole life. Seriously, who doesn't love Seuss?!

I'm not going to lie, this project was a pink-tuffed-who-BEAST. Since my husband was dying to mount his new projector (never to be removed again) in our new home theater, I was in a time-crunch (meaning, get it done asap). I worked while the kids were sleeping--a 2-3 hour nap during the day and 7pm-12/1am. Painting 6-10 hours a day for a week and a half was very stressful and I would not recommend doing it this fast to anyone.

Tutorial pictures at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/dr-seuss-playroom.html

I know all of you don't have access to a projector, but you might be able to snag the office projector for a few nights, or perhaps rent one locally. For pictures as well-known as Seuss, I wouldn't recommend free-hand for most people.

Free-hand or project your background, if any. Project your images and trace onto the wall. Try to keep the projector straight-on with the wall so your image is not distorted. Keep in mind your whole room plan and size your images accordingly.
Color in the lines. It's like a giant coloring book (that makes you ache and convulse after a few hours...only 68 hours to go!).

To organize the toys (pictures at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/dr-seuss-playroom.html

--Martha Stewart cubbies from Home Depot.

--Dress-up clothes wardrobe from IKEA.

--Toy drawers from IKEA.

Thanks for joining me in my world of Seuss. Best of luck with your painting projects!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 03:50:23 PM by Sisteroo - Reason: Request from moderator. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011 10:52:23 AM »

This is seriously amazing!!  Even with the projector, you have MAD painting skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofthelastday

Beware: objects in glass are actual size.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011 04:12:54 PM »

Amazing, wow, holy cow, and damn does not even come close to describing how I think about this project! You did an amazing job!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 04:13:34 PM by angelofthelastday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjohns6
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011 04:16:00 PM »

Wow, that looks amazing! So much work though, you must adore your children.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lieutenant_crunch

Actually, I've been promoted. It's Captain Crunch.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011 04:26:49 PM »

Wow! That's very impressive. I love the table and chairs too, they look very Seuss-y. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm participating in the Year of Homemade Gifts!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0
Norahm1
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011 08:18:46 PM »

Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012 07:10:34 PM »

This room is absolutely amazing!! I have to say that Dr. Seuss is my hero and this room, it just makes me want to paint a room like this in my house just to stay young!! Smiley Fantastic work!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivlichelle
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012 08:22:24 PM »

Eeee! I hope you don't mind that I just pinned this (not from here, but directly from your blog)

Its AMAZING!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have A.D.O.S. -- Attention Deficit... OH SHINY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pickled Mung Bean Sprouts Recipe
Baked Apple Recipe
Flank Steak and Wraps
Flank Steak and Wraps Recipe - Part 1
Chocolate Sticky Buns with Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...