A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you stay motivated to finish a project?  (Read 2201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpunK
KNITXCORE

i make stuff, and i'm a boy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006 09:52:36 AM »

when something gets tedious(sweater, or a lace pattern), i do a quick smaller project (hat, handbag)  just so i don't get bored... once that happens i just make mistakes... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arabella
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006 08:45:29 PM »

Absolutely nothing, which is why I have so many unfinished projects. haha, I started a blanket.. simply granny square blanket.. when I first learned to crochet a few years ago. It's still not done. I did get a lot of progress on it, though, this past week when I was stuck in the car driving from Michigan to Florida.

girl, I'm with you.

what's worse (or better, I don't know) is that after a while of it sitting there unfinished, I decide I don't like it, and rip it all out.  I just frogged a 7/8 finished afghan.  but I guess reusing the yarn is better than it sitting there forever.

see, this is why I like to join swaps.  then I *have* to finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006 11:49:55 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if you gave yourself the same love and respect that you give your swap partners? You deserve that too. (Just my two cents.)
Gr,
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

serialdeviant
Like personal swaps? Me too.

This was completely unintentional

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006 11:54:29 PM »

Guilt. Major, major guilt at leaving a project unfinished.

And deadlines (birthdays, holidays, etc).

I've actually got a long-unfinished sock doll project mouldering in a box. It's not for anyone and I think it will be bad so... another day, maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006 06:57:37 AM »

Quote from: arabella
I just frogged a 7/8 finished afghan.

Yesterday I took a friend to the hospital to get a cast changed and was working on my boring pillow back and I took a good look at it and thought 'it wouldn't be hard to frog this whole thing and just have a front' but then decided I only have 10 more rounds to go and I would be disappointed if I didn't finish.  So, thanks for all the advice! I'm going to keep plugging at it and hope to finish it soon - better get it done so I can go on to something else  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arabella
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006 12:52:40 AM »

Wouldn't it be nice if you gave yourself the same love and respect that you give your swap partners? You deserve that too. (Just my two cents.)
Gr,
BeaG

what an intriguing comment.  this actually made me realize that I hardly ever crochet anything for myself - it's always gifts for other people.  I make other things for myself though.  so I don't think it's a matter of not loving and respecting myself, I just get bored and move on to a fun project. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DebbieDoo
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006 07:53:15 AM »

That's why I usually work on more than one project at a time.  When I get bored with one, I'll work on another for a little while.  I also make a lot of things for other people, and I always want to finish quickly so I can give it to them as soon as possible. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006 07:30:36 AM »

Quote from: Homerof2
I'm working on a filet pillow cover right now and while I loved doing the front because it was interesting and challenging, I'm having terrible trouble staying motivated on the back.  The back is 37 rounds of open mesh, which means you just go around and around and around...

I finally finished this pillow!!!!!!!  THANKS to all of you who gave me ideas of how to make it through the boring part - I actually tried some of them.

It looks great in my living room and as soon as I get a chance, I will post a picture in the finished projects area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006 07:40:49 AM »

I'm motivated to work on anything that isn't my dissertation!

AMEN!!

I also work on things when my husband plays video games and set and work toward deadlines.  With that being said, I have 3/4 of a doggie sweater done for my sister's dog that will have to be for next winter since it is almost summertime! I'm also working on custom name plate for my co-workers and I have been working on them for so long that someone last week said they felt as if they were on back order!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006 09:20:52 AM »

I'm motivated because when it's done, it's DONE.

I had this poncho that took forever (2 weeks) by the end I was just doing about an hour or so at a time. All that kept me on it was knowing that when it was done I could do something fast that would take about 2 hours start to finish.

Plus I could show it off to my MIL, who seems impressed with my work Smiley And then I could wear it! Too bad mom now wants one. . . *sigh* At least I know what I'm doing and I can do something else when I get tired of it. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Prepare Short Hair For Hair Extensions
How To Attach Hair Extensions To Short Hair
How To Prepare Long Hair For Hair Extensions
How To Attach Hair Extensions To Long Hair
How to Do a Flat Iron Up Do
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...