A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made my first duct tape dressform!  (Read 7687 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kakaiyu
« on: March 07, 2006 06:06:55 AM »

It was actually a pretty funny process.  Grin My mom wasn't feeling well, so my dad volunteered to wrap me up in duct tape, bless his soul. If I wasn't such an impatient person maybe I would be too embarassed to let him do it, but I did. Well, he did a good job, except that he wrapped my arms waaay too tight and cut off the circulation. I didn't want him to cut it off because I was afraid he might cut my bra strap, so I went to my mom. It took five minutes to wake her up, and by that time my arms were reddish purple. She finally got it off though. I must say, he must have wrapped me tight, because I looked so skinny when I had that duct tape all over me! Oh yes, and some of the duct tape got stuck to my armpit. You can imagine the removal!

Now I just need to stuff it. We're gonna be collecting newspapers for the next month.

I'll post pictures this afternoon!

EDIT:

pictures by voornop
so we did tape up my lil'sister, and it looked great on her

she was very relieved to be let out finally
(it took my mom and me almost 2 hours to wrap her)

when she stuffed it it turned out like this

I bought two kinds of duct-tape, that came in very handy because we used a different kind for each layer (makes it much easier to see if you've covered the whole area or not)

for my own dressform I'm thinking of doing my upper and lower half separately, so I won't be taped in for so long Cool

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010 10:04:43 PM by MareMare - Reason: to add pictures from the second page » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kakaiyu
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006 06:30:18 PM »

Here it is on a hanger. It's squashed kind of flat because it's hanging and it's not stuffed yet.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006 06:31:53 PM by kakaiyu » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lexifer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006 11:01:53 PM »

Creative! Interesting! Curiouslyoutragious lyfunny! I think you dad gets an A+
The A for effort and the plus for the thoughts your mother must have thought as she helped take the thing off of you. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kakaiyu
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006 06:19:49 AM »

Lol. She was quite amused, I'll say that.  Roll Eyes

Yikes, I've got bruises on the places where the duct tape got stuck to my skin and I had to peel it off.

So that nobody's eperience is as.... erm.... experimental as mine, here are some tips for others:
1.      If you want a tight dressform (to draft corsets on and such), wrap the tape around your body continuously, with your assistant just basically walking in circles around you. If you want one that is more true to your actual body shape, make the dressform with many small pieces.
2.      No matter WHAT kind of dressform you want, do NOT wrap the tape continuously around your arms. Take the time to do them with separate pieces.
3.    Don't wear a sports bra when doing this. Wear a bra with seperate cups, preferably underwire. It's easier to do the bust this way, and the result is a bit more natural.
4.      When doing the bottom hip area, it is best to not wear pants. Or at least wear some very thin pants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juxtagirl
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006 06:50:37 PM »

somebody's dad has a mummification fetish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006 06:56:11 PM »

My dad taped me up for my dressform too!  My mom was on the phone with a friend and walked into the family room to see my dad wrapping me in duct tape.  Thankfully her friend sews, so she understood the need for all this.  My mom couldn't stop laughing, though.  I cut mine off myself up the front of the form.  I think I may not have been wearing a bra, just in case, and just used a little duct tape to act as my bra.  It's now hanging in the middle of my bedroom, and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and freak out over the "person" in my walkway.

Yours looks great, unstuffed as it may be.  Congrats to you for using this much more cost efficient method (especially since we all know our bodies won't stay this way forever!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsarah
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006 07:20:39 PM »

I just made mine the other day, and had my boyfriend wrap me up. He got WAY into it, trying to make it all semetrical (spelling??) but it turned out really great.

Also, it is a challenge for me too, because it is about to be that spring-shed all the christmas cookies off your ass- time, now I have a before and after doll. Weee.

And I also experienced the duct taped armpit...that part is sensitive.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tookie
It's Spleentastic!

I'm more Peter Pan than you are.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006 09:48:34 PM »

Oohhhh... I tried to make a paper-tape dress form (similar, but it's brown paper tape with glue that you moisten to stick on, and when it dries it's somewhat papier-mache like so you don't need to stuff it) but I started breathing really shallowly so I wouldn't distort the form (or something, I don't know what I was thinking) and before I knew it, I'd nearly passed out. I made my mom cut me out of it after only half of the first layer, so now I have a half-finished dress form lying around, waiting to be finished. I'm not exactly rearing to put it back on...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Non est delirus in terra mea~
http://www.victorinia.blogspot.com
kakaiyu
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006 05:26:06 AM »

Oohhhh... I tried to make a paper-tape dress form (similar, but it's brown paper tape with glue that you moisten to stick on, and when it dries it's somewhat papier-mache like so you don't need to stuff it) but I started breathing really shallowly so I wouldn't distort the form (or something, I don't know what I was thinking) and before I knew it, I'd nearly passed out. I made my mom cut me out of it after only half of the first layer, so now I have a half-finished dress form lying around, waiting to be finished. I'm not exactly rearing to put it back on...

Oh, were you sukcing it in when you were doing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marim
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006 11:33:01 AM »

Other than the panic attack, did the brown tape form look like it would turn out okay?  I just found some tape today so I can make one this weekend and I haven't heard too many reports on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Top Trends in Homecoming Dresses
How You CAN Wear White After Labor Day
How to Dress Nautical Style
What to Wear on Date Night
Fall Denim Trends
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...