A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visiting Portland Big Thread  (Read 10755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mel-K
« on: June 29, 2004 04:10:17 AM »

Hi,
I am visiting Portland from melbourne and would like to know where the best craft  & fabric stores are located? We'll be staying fairly central and will be using public transport.

Any suggestions?
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stashia
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004 08:28:06 PM »

have you come and gone already?  If you haven't, I'll direct you to a few good spots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art." ~ Paul Cezanne
qdog
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004 01:10:12 PM »

I'm also visiting Portland in July, though only from Boston. 
I would love to hear your recommendations, too. 
I'm also interested in indie shops selling handmade goods.
Cheers,
-Qdog
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mel-K
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004 08:56:20 PM »

Hi Stashia,
I'll be there around the end of july 30, 31 & 1 August.

Thanks heaps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavendar420
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004 10:19:25 AM »

I hope you all have fun here! Here's some crafty links to get you started.
ps. some of these links insist on defying me. Sorry!

Saturday Market - there's 2 sides, one side is all about nice handmade stuff, the other side is cheap import type stuff. Its open Saturday & Sunday every weekend, and the MAX (public transit mini train) stops right at it.
www.portlandsaturda ymarket.com
www. portlandsaturdaymar ket .com

Oregon Country Fair - I've never been (only lived here a few years) but I really want to go this year. I hear its not as good as it used to be, of course, but still sounds good to me. This is more hippy than 4H, although I don't think you can buy "special" brownies there anymore Wink This is a couple hours drive south of Portland.
www.oregoncountryfa ir.org/

Oregon Brewers Fest - Ok, this may seem like a stretch, but here in Portland, beer is a craft, an art, a way of life... and this is the biggest & best of the many beer fests Oregon has to offer. 21 and up of course, but go if you can, and don't plan on doing anything early the next morning! (Right on the river, accessable from the MAX train)
www.oregonbrewfest. com/

Craft night at Nocturnal (a bar) every Wednesday (21+) www.nocturnalpdx.co m

Bead Faire! Oregon Convention Center (another stop on the MAX line) www.gemfaire.com/beadfaire/index.html

Fun Stores:

Powells Books. If you like books, you can spend days in here. www.powells.com

Art Media art supplies www.artmediaonline. com/

Daisy Kingdom, kinda hokey, but for those who may be into that kinds thing: www.daisykingdom.co m/

Fabric Depot: This place is huge. People charter buses here. It scares my husband
www.fabricdepot.com/

If you're coming here, get familiar with the MAX ( www.trimet.org/ ) Its a light rail train that goes mostly east/west and lets you get downtown without dealing with one way streets & parking. And please - go hiking! Check out Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge ( trips.stateoforegon .com/multnomah_falls/ ), go up to timberline lodge on Mt Hood ( www.timberlinelodge .com/defaultweb.asp ). And drink local beer if you're old enough or, um, crafty enough!

Have fun, Andi

« Last Edit: July 08, 2004 10:33:29 AM by lavendar420 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Regime change begins at home
http://www.moveon.org/
stashia
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004 11:12:55 PM »

also:
First Thursday of the month Art Walk in the Pearl District (NW Portland near downtown)  This is kinda hoity toity http://www.shopthepearl.com/thursday.htm
Last Thursday art walk on Alberta Street (in NE Portland)  This is really fun and funky:  street preformers, tons of people selling art and crafty goods on the street, fire dancers, and lots of galleries, bands, etc. http://www.artonalberta.org/
also the Hawthorne Neighborhood in SE Portland is really fun, a great place to shop for vintage clothes and hippie stuffs
And there is a GREAT bead store on SE Division at 158th...

allthis stuff can easily be reachedon the city busses and I'm sure I'll think of more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art." ~ Paul Cezanne
stashia
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004 11:53:37 PM »

I'm sad to say thatI'll be gone the end of july, so I can't meet a fellow craftster Sad  but if you need any more ideas..Im happy to give them. (or anything special like great vegi restauraunts or where to find different kinds of things!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emilytate
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005 12:05:20 PM »

great yarn stores:
knit/purl (@ 11th/SW Alder---RIGHT downtown, on streetcar line)
the yarn garden (@ SE Hawthorne Blvd---the #14 bus goes right outside)

great fabric stores:
josephines (@ SW 11TH/Alder----again, downtown, on streetcar line - right by knit/purl!)
daisy kingdom (as lavendar420 posted!----downtownish)

great bead stores:
let it bead (@ SW Alder--- probably 4 or 5 blocks down from knit/purl etc.)
dava bead (@ NE Broadway St---right on a busy bus route)

great OTHER stoes:
Art Media --- art/craft supplies (@ SW Yamhill---RIGHT downtown)
Finnigans --- GREAT toy store!! (right around the block from art media)
Gilt --- antique/artisan jewelery & some clothing/accessories (@ NW 23rd)

i'm drawing a blank on more - but there are so many! portland is VERY easily accessable by public transportation - you can walk to most places, and there are busses and the streetcar and the MAX that go there and everywhere else!
HAVE FUN!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-anais nin
kat_penguino

I'm a noble rabbit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005 11:50:24 PM »

I love dava bead (already mentioned above), it has more variety and is cheaper than let it bead. Somone also mentioned daisy kingdom, wanted to mention this place closed some time ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005 01:08:46 PM »

The public transportation is good! streetcar and max are down down mostly, but you can take busses from the bus mall to wherever! www.trimet.org
Downtown:  Powells Books, Finnegans (great toystore), Art Media and since it's in the neighborhood the downtown public library. But also try Hawthorne (bus 14 from downtown) fun street with eclectic shops, vintage, specialty, "ethnic", powells on Hawthorne, the bagdad movie theater where you watch second run movies and eat pizza and bear! Also find a New Season market, it is a wonderful locally owned natural grocery store. Of course saturday market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Mary Louise Kelly: What Are You Reading?
California Sensibility: What Is California Literature?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...