A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy peasie flannel baby blankie (with tute) & mitered corners tutorial too!!  (Read 54617 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_blanket , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amemm
« on: March 06, 2006 04:18:35 PM »

I made this for a woman at work, who had a healthy little girl after 5 months(!) of bed rest.. It took me about an hour total, not including picking out the fabric. With just the two pieces of flannel, it's not as heavy as a full blanket, but still has some weight to it, so it will drape nicely around baby. My son (age 7) still uses his, and rubbing his cheek against the silky edge helps him relax and get to sleep. 

The flash on the camera makes the binding looks disco-shiny, but it's really just plain old satin binding. 

Ingredients
1 yard each of flannel for front and back (I used monkeys on one side, and pink dots on the other)
1 package of matching blanket binding, and matching thread.

Directions
*Iron each piece, and pin together, right sides out. (you are going to cover the edge with the binding, so it doesn't matter if the edge is unfinished).
*Square the whole thing, and sew together (RSO), trimming close to the seam.
*Pin blanket binding along edge, covering both sides, and miter corners.
*Sew a fairly tight zig-zag seam along edge of binding.
  Voila, it's finished!

Edited 14 July 2006 - I've added another post to this topic for a mitered corner tutorial.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008 06:43:52 AM by amemm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006 06:15:41 PM »

That's really pretty and I do like the satin binding.  I just suck at sewing on binding!  I guess with practice I can get better at it.  I just always end up missing parts of the underside.

Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
lovemylabs
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006 07:36:19 PM »

I love the monkey material.  How easy is the blankie to sew?  Can a beginner sew one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006 08:50:12 AM »

I love that, it came out so cute and looks like it would be fun to make--- I bet there are so many cute kinds of flannel out there and you could come up with a ton of adorable blankets! I love the money/polka dot combo tho!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
amemm
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006 12:44:51 PM »

I love the monkey material.  How easy is the blankie to sew?  Can a beginner sew one?

I don't think it would be too hard, but it would probably be a good idea to practice, especially with the binding, and mitering the corners. The binding was the most expensive part ($5.99). My suggestion would be to perhaps start with a smaller project, so you can be sure that you'll have extra binding left over to experiment with..

That's really pretty and I do like the satin binding.  I just suck at sewing on binding!  I guess with practice I can get better at it.  I just always end up missing parts of the underside.

Any tips?
I suck at bindings too, but I thought that using the zig-zag stitch helped a bit. I did quite a bit of pinning too, to keep the binding in place and prevent it from slipping around so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jendodd
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 11:32:14 AM »

is there anyway to do this without the binding, just with some satin? or will it end up taking way too much time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006 01:04:54 PM »

is there anyway to do this without the binding, just with some satin? or will it end up taking way too much time?

Because the binding is not going around "round" corners, you could just use ordinary satin.  You would just cut a long length (join if you have do) with a width of approx. 4 times the final width you require.  Eg. say you wanted a 1 inch binding, you would cut the strip 4 inches wide.  Then to make the binding, just fold and press the strip in half lengthwise.  Open the fold you just made, then fold the raw edges on each side to the centre crease.  Refold the centre crease and voila, binding!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006 07:40:57 PM »

Do you think it would be better to cut satin strips on the bias, or are you saying that since you're not using rounded corners, straight cuts of satin would work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006 07:55:06 PM »

Do you think it would be better to cut satin strips on the bias, or are you saying that since you're not using rounded corners, straight cuts of satin would work?

Whoops!!  I didn't clarify myself - must be the vodka - hehe. 

It would be fine just to cut the strips on the straight since the strip doesn't need to go round corners.

Sorry for any confusion and upheavel this may have caused  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Early Bird Special

Formerly "sewwabisabi"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006 02:51:16 PM »

Thanks for posting this!  I really love how your blanket turned out. 

I've been wanting to learn how to make a blanket with satin edging, and this looks like a good intro.  I'm expecting my first baby in October, and I found the cutest fabric today.  I'll have to let you know how mine turns out!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Great Winter Pictures
How to Take Great Pictures With Your Cell Phone
How to Choose Your Aperture Setting
How to Use an External Flash
How to Take Pictures in Shadow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...