A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy peasie flannel baby blankie (with tute) & mitered corners tutorial too!!  (Read 52966 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_blanket , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zanarkand27

I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007 10:58:48 AM »

I'm making a blanket for my sister's baby and this style is perfect! I couldn't figure out the best way for a finished edge, and this binding looks perfect.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 11:00:27 AM by zanarkand27 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007 07:23:46 PM »

it looks soooo good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
creative_kit_kat
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007 04:18:13 PM »

I love your blanket and the explanation of mitering the satin binding.  I just got a request to make one for my nephew and had no idea how to do the corners.  You made it sound so easy!  I have a question though.  I was told that batting will bunch after washing and make the blanket all weird looking.  I was also told to sew it like a quilt, sectioning squares and sewing them.  I want to know if you have had experience with the bunching of batting after washes is all.  Thank you so much and I love yours!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mahkev
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007 07:30:33 PM »

Just finished mine today took about 2.5 hours, (*EDIT..that included the time it took to wash and dry fabric)  the blanket binding was very time consuming for me, it was my first time, using it with mitered corners, I did get one corner kinda funky, but Im no so worried about it because the rest look great to me

I made a knitted blanket using light blue and white, so this one I wanted to go for the bold colors, and I love it

I managed to sew a needle into the binding, I had to rip out a stitch on the corner to get it out   Tongue

here is a picture of the final blanket folded to show both sides

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007 02:03:21 PM by mahkev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeorgieVeebs
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007 09:34:21 AM »

I love the blanket, it's so cute and simple. I recently made a similar blanket with binding but the corners turned out, well, less than perfect. I was wondering, did you zig-zag over the mitered corners, as well? Or hand stitch them? Thanks so much for the tute, it'll really help me improve on my next attempt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mahkev
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007 12:30:50 PM »

I love the blanket, it's so cute and simple. I recently made a similar blanket with binding but the corners turned out, well, less than perfect. I was wondering, did you zig-zag over the mitered corners, as well? Or hand stitch them? Thanks so much for the tute, it'll really help me improve on my next attempt!

hello, I had so much fun making mine, it was really quick, just had to be very patient with the corners on my blanket, I did a straight stitch along the folded seam of the mitered corners, definitely needed it, and thats seemed to work fine and look good too, All my corners but one worked out well, the one that gave me trouble didnt have even folds on either side so when I tried to do the straight stitch it only caught one of the folds, after ripping out a couple times I eventually  just gave up and stitched it the best I could, it laid fine but the stitches looked kinda funky, but as long as your thread is the same color as your binding, its not that noticeable.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007 12:32:56 PM by mahkev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007 12:49:41 PM »

Thanks for posting the tutorial for mitered corners!  I'm in the process of making a couple of lap quilts, and this is useful information to have on hand!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
GeorgieVeebs
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007 11:24:34 AM »

Thanks for the tip, mahkev Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amemm
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007 06:39:28 PM »

I love your blanket and the explanation of mitering the satin binding.  I just got a request to make one for my nephew and had no idea how to do the corners.  You made it sound so easy!  I have a question though.  I was told that batting will bunch after washing and make the blanket all weird looking.  I was also told to sew it like a quilt, sectioning squares and sewing them.  I want to know if you have had experience with the bunching of batting after washes is all.  Thank you so much and I love yours!
 Wink

Hmm.. Since this type of blanket doesn't have a binding, I am afraid I don't have an answer for you.  You should probably look on the quilters board, but I would imagine if you did a blanket like this, with binding, it would bunch if you didn't sew the binding in place..

Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amemm
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007 06:41:00 PM »

Mahkev, I love your blankie!  Very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a California Roll
Korean Beef Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Shrimp-Udon Soup
Classic Vietnamese Pho Recipe
Crispy Sweet & Sour Battered Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...