A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy peasie flannel baby blankie (with tute) & mitered corners tutorial too!!  (Read 54257 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_blanket , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amemm
« on: March 06, 2006 04:18:35 PM »

I made this for a woman at work, who had a healthy little girl after 5 months(!) of bed rest.. It took me about an hour total, not including picking out the fabric. With just the two pieces of flannel, it's not as heavy as a full blanket, but still has some weight to it, so it will drape nicely around baby. My son (age 7) still uses his, and rubbing his cheek against the silky edge helps him relax and get to sleep. 

The flash on the camera makes the binding looks disco-shiny, but it's really just plain old satin binding. 

Ingredients
1 yard each of flannel for front and back (I used monkeys on one side, and pink dots on the other)
1 package of matching blanket binding, and matching thread.

Directions
*Iron each piece, and pin together, right sides out. (you are going to cover the edge with the binding, so it doesn't matter if the edge is unfinished).
*Square the whole thing, and sew together (RSO), trimming close to the seam.
*Pin blanket binding along edge, covering both sides, and miter corners.
*Sew a fairly tight zig-zag seam along edge of binding.
  Voila, it's finished!

Edited 14 July 2006 - I've added another post to this topic for a mitered corner tutorial.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008 06:43:52 AM by amemm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006 06:15:41 PM »

That's really pretty and I do like the satin binding.  I just suck at sewing on binding!  I guess with practice I can get better at it.  I just always end up missing parts of the underside.

Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
lovemylabs
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006 07:36:19 PM »

I love the monkey material.  How easy is the blankie to sew?  Can a beginner sew one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006 08:50:12 AM »

I love that, it came out so cute and looks like it would be fun to make--- I bet there are so many cute kinds of flannel out there and you could come up with a ton of adorable blankets! I love the money/polka dot combo tho!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
amemm
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006 12:44:51 PM »

I love the monkey material.  How easy is the blankie to sew?  Can a beginner sew one?

I don't think it would be too hard, but it would probably be a good idea to practice, especially with the binding, and mitering the corners. The binding was the most expensive part ($5.99). My suggestion would be to perhaps start with a smaller project, so you can be sure that you'll have extra binding left over to experiment with..

That's really pretty and I do like the satin binding.  I just suck at sewing on binding!  I guess with practice I can get better at it.  I just always end up missing parts of the underside.

Any tips?
I suck at bindings too, but I thought that using the zig-zag stitch helped a bit. I did quite a bit of pinning too, to keep the binding in place and prevent it from slipping around so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jendodd
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 11:32:14 AM »

is there anyway to do this without the binding, just with some satin? or will it end up taking way too much time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006 01:04:54 PM »

is there anyway to do this without the binding, just with some satin? or will it end up taking way too much time?

Because the binding is not going around "round" corners, you could just use ordinary satin.  You would just cut a long length (join if you have do) with a width of approx. 4 times the final width you require.  Eg. say you wanted a 1 inch binding, you would cut the strip 4 inches wide.  Then to make the binding, just fold and press the strip in half lengthwise.  Open the fold you just made, then fold the raw edges on each side to the centre crease.  Refold the centre crease and voila, binding!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006 07:40:57 PM »

Do you think it would be better to cut satin strips on the bias, or are you saying that since you're not using rounded corners, straight cuts of satin would work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006 07:55:06 PM »

Do you think it would be better to cut satin strips on the bias, or are you saying that since you're not using rounded corners, straight cuts of satin would work?

Whoops!!  I didn't clarify myself - must be the vodka - hehe. 

It would be fine just to cut the strips on the straight since the strip doesn't need to go round corners.

Sorry for any confusion and upheavel this may have caused  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Early Bird Special

Formerly "sewwabisabi"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006 02:51:16 PM »

Thanks for posting this!  I really love how your blanket turned out. 

I've been wanting to learn how to make a blanket with satin edging, and this looks like a good intro.  I'm expecting my first baby in October, and I found the cutest fabric today.  I'll have to let you know how mine turns out!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nghna7t
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006 04:32:04 AM »

I'm confused about how to miter the corners - I have a book that shows it, but my little pea brain still doesn't get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may grow old, but I will never grow up!
amemm
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006 03:50:30 PM »

I'm confused about how to miter the corners - I have a book that shows it, but my little pea brain still doesn't get it.

I thought about the mitered corners for a while, and then I just played with it a bit, to get it to look right. There might be easier/right ways to do it, but this is what I do. Here are some pictures that hopefully will help. PM me otherwise, and I'll try to explain it to you.
Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011 07:26:58 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nghna7t
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006 07:24:49 PM »

that is soooo much clearer than the other ones I've seen before - thank you very much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may grow old, but I will never grow up!
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006 02:41:25 PM »

If ONLY I would've read this post first!  I just did mine kindof bunchy and twisty and ruffly as they turned the corners, not near as clean as yours...

Here is the link to my posting on it:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=108660.0

Live and learn, I suppose!  Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Early Bird Special

Formerly "sewwabisabi"

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006 06:30:08 AM »

Amemm, thank you SO much for posting that picture tutorial on mitering corners.  I started a blanket a few months ago, but was totally confused about the mitering.  Now, I think I can swing it!  You're the best!   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amemm
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006 07:02:53 PM »

I'm so glad you all like it. I hope it's helpful.  Figuring out how to miter corners kept me up at night (no lie!), and I was so pleased when I finally did it.

Sewing them and getting them to look good is tricky. I usually do a zig zag stitch, and then flip the whole blankie over, and do a straight stitch just to ensure I've gotten every single millimeter of the binding..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cupcakeology
World domination...one cupcake at a time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006 11:49:59 PM »

I love the fabric you used.  Now I know what to do with the vintage baby pritn flannel I have in the closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadgirl

ndnchick

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006 10:56:07 PM »

Thank You for the pic on how to do the mitering!  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigokat

Craftin' while they're nappin'

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006 08:08:27 PM »

Wooooo - I am SO happy that I found this thread. I sort of stumbled upon it. I have a blanket pinned and a sadly neglected WIP as I was too daunted by the binding task.

Now I can finish it before the gift recipient turns 1. It was supposed to be a newborn gift. YIKES!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from hiatus and trying not to just lurk.
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006 02:59:59 AM »

Great tutorial!  Your blankets are beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zanarkand27

I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007 10:58:48 AM »

I'm making a blanket for my sister's baby and this style is perfect! I couldn't figure out the best way for a finished edge, and this binding looks perfect.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 11:00:27 AM by zanarkand27 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007 07:23:46 PM »

it looks soooo good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
creative_kit_kat
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007 04:18:13 PM »

I love your blanket and the explanation of mitering the satin binding.  I just got a request to make one for my nephew and had no idea how to do the corners.  You made it sound so easy!  I have a question though.  I was told that batting will bunch after washing and make the blanket all weird looking.  I was also told to sew it like a quilt, sectioning squares and sewing them.  I want to know if you have had experience with the bunching of batting after washes is all.  Thank you so much and I love yours!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mahkev
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007 07:30:33 PM »

Just finished mine today took about 2.5 hours, (*EDIT..that included the time it took to wash and dry fabric)  the blanket binding was very time consuming for me, it was my first time, using it with mitered corners, I did get one corner kinda funky, but Im no so worried about it because the rest look great to me

I made a knitted blanket using light blue and white, so this one I wanted to go for the bold colors, and I love it

I managed to sew a needle into the binding, I had to rip out a stitch on the corner to get it out   Tongue

here is a picture of the final blanket folded to show both sides

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007 02:03:21 PM by mahkev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeorgieVeebs
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007 09:34:21 AM »

I love the blanket, it's so cute and simple. I recently made a similar blanket with binding but the corners turned out, well, less than perfect. I was wondering, did you zig-zag over the mitered corners, as well? Or hand stitch them? Thanks so much for the tute, it'll really help me improve on my next attempt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mahkev
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007 12:30:50 PM »

I love the blanket, it's so cute and simple. I recently made a similar blanket with binding but the corners turned out, well, less than perfect. I was wondering, did you zig-zag over the mitered corners, as well? Or hand stitch them? Thanks so much for the tute, it'll really help me improve on my next attempt!

hello, I had so much fun making mine, it was really quick, just had to be very patient with the corners on my blanket, I did a straight stitch along the folded seam of the mitered corners, definitely needed it, and thats seemed to work fine and look good too, All my corners but one worked out well, the one that gave me trouble didnt have even folds on either side so when I tried to do the straight stitch it only caught one of the folds, after ripping out a couple times I eventually  just gave up and stitched it the best I could, it laid fine but the stitches looked kinda funky, but as long as your thread is the same color as your binding, its not that noticeable.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007 12:32:56 PM by mahkev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007 12:49:41 PM »

Thanks for posting the tutorial for mitered corners!  I'm in the process of making a couple of lap quilts, and this is useful information to have on hand!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
GeorgieVeebs
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007 11:24:34 AM »

Thanks for the tip, mahkev Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amemm
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007 06:39:28 PM »

I love your blanket and the explanation of mitering the satin binding.  I just got a request to make one for my nephew and had no idea how to do the corners.  You made it sound so easy!  I have a question though.  I was told that batting will bunch after washing and make the blanket all weird looking.  I was also told to sew it like a quilt, sectioning squares and sewing them.  I want to know if you have had experience with the bunching of batting after washes is all.  Thank you so much and I love yours!
 Wink

Hmm.. Since this type of blanket doesn't have a binding, I am afraid I don't have an answer for you.  You should probably look on the quilters board, but I would imagine if you did a blanket like this, with binding, it would bunch if you didn't sew the binding in place..

Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amemm
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007 06:41:00 PM »

Mahkev, I love your blankie!  Very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007 08:38:20 PM »

Mahkev, I love your blankie!  Very cute.

why thankyou! Thanks for the inspiration from your super cute blankie and great tutorial, I have a niece coming this summer so time to go buy some pink!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007 11:41:31 AM »

well I made another one for my sis-n-law who is due July, I had such a hard time on this second one, the first one I made was a breeze, this one was impossible, I could not get the binding to stay even, I pinned the crap out of it and everytime as I sewed it just bunched up and got all wonky, I ripped it all out the first time and tried again pinning more and the same thing happended, so I got frustrated and just sewed it anyway, Im so disapointed in it, but it looks okay in the picture, just a little embarassed to gift it, but I tried mulitple times to fix it, it just wasnt working, weird!?! Huh

The lighter print is pink and white stripe

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007 09:31:14 PM »

what do you do with the end of the binding when you get almost finished? i tried to fold it under for a nice, finished look, and it didn't work at all...should i maybe try to line it up so it ends inside one of the corner folds? that sounds rather difficult...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Elowen
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007 04:18:31 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this.  I made one last year before my son was born.  He likes it a lot, but I think I like it best.  My binding is kid of messy, but I was just learning how to use my sewing machine (still don't have the hang of it).
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z44/instant_puddin/sewing/Cidsblankie.jpg
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007 08:00:12 AM by Elowen - Reason: re-organized photobucket albums » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors but I think that God has a sick sense of humor, and when I die I expect to find him laughing" - Depeche Mode, Blasphemous Rumors
nero_fiore

Crafting is fun! Even kids can do it!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007 10:53:42 AM »

Thanks so much for the mitered corner tutorial. I've been searching for one I could understand and I totally understood this one. Now I can finish that baby blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Utilize the Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Make Selections Quickly and Accurately in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Modify a Mask in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use an Alpha Channel as a Mask in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create Alpha Channel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...