A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chemo Barbie reconstruction?  (Read 1711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternal_ukyou
Sewing my way to Sanity...

Searching for my prince, or just dressing one.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006 01:04:33 PM »

older barbies are soli, the ones i had as a kid where, there where kind squishy a little on the outside, i think the gymnast type barbie r solid becase their all flexy and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YOu remind me of the babe!
What babe?
The babe with the power!
What power?
The power of Voodoo!
Who do?
You do!
Do what?
Remind me of the babe!

http://anis-faye.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/eternal_ukyou - I love personal swaps! ^^
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006 01:25:57 PM »

If you have a dremel at your disposal, that might be easier than the power saw. By the way, you are a great friend for doing this.

opps!  yeah, by power saw, I meant a dremel type thing, just not a hand-powered saw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006 04:25:04 PM »

after removing the boob, you could fill it in with carpenter's bog (filler)- it is traditionally tinted pink but if you mixed in a bit of acrylic paint you could make it flesh coloured. it will make the barbie a little weighty but it can be sanded to produce a nice smooth finish.

however, bog would probably fall out of the little holes in barbie's head. perhaps some sort of glue (the kind in a bottle with a little squirt nozzle) would work better? again, you could probably tint it with a bit of paint.

as an aside, a bronzer compact in a nice, light, natural shade makes a good gift for women going thru chemo- its easy to apply and can really brighten up your skin tone. it soulds pretty trivial, but i know several woman who have survived cancer and they all seem to agree that feeling good about yourself really helps at a time like this... that, and watching lots of really funny movies. humour is thought to aid the immune system and the healing process.

how abouts some e.r dvd's to go with 'oncologist ken'? btw, what ever happened to ken?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006 05:31:20 AM »

how abouts some e.r dvd's to go with 'oncologist ken'? btw, what ever happened to ken?

Barbie and Ken broke up... Barbie wanted to see other men... Thats what I read on the newspaper... XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006 08:25:02 AM »

If you end up with a hole where the boob was- consider putting something 'else' there- I made a doll for my mom (also lost a breast to cancer) and it had one boob and one jewel were the boob should be. She loved it.
On the head- consider a wig or a chemo cap. My mom went wig nuts when her hair fell out- her personal favorite was a maroon shoulder length one we found at a costume place. 8-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007 08:07:23 AM »

how about a pale pink ( as in the breast cancer ribboncolor) jewel to replace the boobie.

That could also be incorperated into the costume...she could have a "toy" to distrack her from the pain during her treatments.

Good Luck and may you be blessed for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007 09:46:39 AM »

I know this is an old thread but it occurs to me that an amazon warrior woman would be very appropriate for this type of project, the amazon women were reputed to remove a breast on purpose in order to facilitate the use of a bow.  The bow could represent the weapon used to fight the cancer cells....I caught my nipple in a bow string once, hurt so bad I decided removing it ahead of time was probably not a bad idea if you're using a bow all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007 12:42:27 PM »

Thanks!  I never did wind up doing this - knitted a nice chemo cap instead - but she's made a full recovery, I'm happy to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fire Up The BBQ!
The Best Burger
BBQ Tips: Burger Meat, Condiments
Low-Fat Mac & Cheese Muffins Recipe
Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...