A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chemo Barbie reconstruction?  (Read 1710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2006 03:35:15 PM »

Howdy!  I want to venture into a new area of craft, and I could use some input.

A friend of mine is undergoing chemo, and I want to make her a Wonder Woman doll with a shaved head and just one breast.  Accessories would include a tiny bottle of pills, a chemo cap, and a little phone she can use to call her friends for support.  Plus some as-yet-to-be determined cancer-fighting weapon.  I'm open to suggestion on other accessories, of course!

So the question is this:  Have you ever reconstructed a Barbie?  I thought I'd snag a beat-up one from a used toy store near here and do a dry run before tackling a good doll.  I'm not that worried about the head shaving, but I'm a little leery of the Barbie mascectomy.  I thought maybe I could cut it, then melt it together and try to draw a tattoo on it or something.  What I'd use to melt plastic, I don't know.  Would epoxy work better?  A friend of a friend had a suggestion, but said it would work if the doll was solid as opposed to hollow, which Barbie-type dolls are.

Any wonderful brainstorms on this project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayne hats and Jayne hat knitting kits at http://www.wearwithstyle.com
e-mail: heather@jaynehat.com
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006 05:05:20 PM »

that's really sweet of you.  I'm sure she'll appreciate it.  Smiley

hmmm... I might try to find a non-barbie doll.  an off brand.  barbie are easy to cut in their rubbery bits (arms, legs, etc) because they're made of a different type of plastic, but the torsos are pretty hard (don't ask about the movie we made about the black plague in german class using barbies...).  if you can find one that's a little more rubbery, it would probably be a lot easier.

if you can't find one, I'd recommend removing the head (so you don't cut into it!), clamping it down, and using a power saw of some sort to cut it off.  then sand to smooth it down.  I have a feeling that trying to burn it will end up with a black wierd mess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bobolots
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006 05:08:06 PM »

If you have a dremel at your disposal, that might be easier than the power saw. By the way, you are a great friend for doing this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006 05:36:21 PM »

Great ideas!  I hadn't thought about the color change, but can totally see how that would happen.

Like any good crafty gal, I know my way around a Dremel.

ETA: These ideas will take the protrusion off the chest, but I'll still be left with a hole to close.  I'm thinking the boob plastic would be a good patch, assuming I use a non missile-y section, but how to adhere it?  Glue?  Tape?  Staples?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006 05:42:56 PM by Emisanboo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006 05:57:01 PM »

Google under doll repaints and I think you will get something more to your liking, the artists use something that is called  magisculpt or liquisculpt or something like that to add or smooth over features, think elf ears for barbie and six pack abs for ken.  many of the sites have tutorials and if you can afford it barbie bazaar and haute doll magazines routinely have how tos on reshaping
features, rerooting hair,removing stains,removing the makeup and redoing the makeup also free patterns for clothing, all in all a good deal I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006 06:02:07 AM »

Thank you, cataway!  I'll check those resources out.  It looks like the sticking point is going to be cutting the body.  I'm beginning to contemplate gettting a doll with a more solid or rubbery body and just sanding the heck out of it.  I think it'll be easier to sew a new costume for an easy-to-alter doll than to buy a doll with the right costume and have major problems altering the body.

I can always forget Wonder Woman and just make a new superhero - The Chemo Avenger! (insert trumpet fanfare here).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006 03:39:04 AM »

dolls dont look so good shaved,perhaps you could pull it out then fill in the little holes. maybe if you could cut off the boob then fill it in with something? otherwise she wont look so good out of her clothes. you could also make some outfits- a hospital gown/ dressing gown, which could be removed to revail her superhero outfit. what about a cape? and she'll need some sort of cancer fighting accessory- wonder woman had the lasso of truth, the chemo avenger could have a sword, or maybe she could come with a 'handsome oncologist' ken doll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Emisanboo

www.jaynehat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006 04:01:31 AM »

I love these ideas.  I had also been concerned about the little holes where the hair had been - I know we've all seen these when we've tortured our dolls as children.  Smoothing over them with some kind of compound is a good thought.  I had also been thinking of accessories, but oncologist Ken is a wonderful idea, especially since my friend is single!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006 04:40:53 AM »

When making an antenna for a model airplane, I would hold the plastic over a candle flame (well over, so it didn't scorch) and carefully and slowly pull apart. You could possilby do the same with the leftover plastic from your cutting. Hold with something other than fingers, make a somewhat flat piece, then glue on. You can sand it a bit to make it match better, and paint with model paint (Testors at Wal-mart is a fine brand, either water based or oil based) to match flesh.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006 05:20:30 AM »

when my best friend broke her arm we  couldn't do a lot of the stuff we used to do. So when we were at her house we got her old barbies and we basically destroyed them. lol. We took one and we used sandpaper to file down her boobs. then we painted her brown and put wires in her hair to give her a freaky hairstyle. On another one we used the tip of a hot glue gun when it was on to meltholes and stuff on the body. We have a couple Barbie heads with pipe cleaner legs we made. We were so bored but it was really fun. Later today I will try and post some pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - P, B, K
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - N, H, M, U, A, D, G, Q
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - Practice Sentences
How to Rule the Page for Capital Letter Calligraphy
How to Draw the Capital Calligraphy Letters - A Through D
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...