A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Definitive Guide for Buying Craft Stuff in Honolulu (ADD info &YOUR reviews)  (Read 6245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knit wit
Take Back the Knit!

Knitting is good for you ...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2006 02:02:26 PM »

Hey Hawaii Craftsters!!! Let's make a Definitive Guide for Buying Craft stuff in Honolulu! - where is the best place to buy stuff?   Cheesy

there are a couple of helpful threads about where to buy fabric, crafting supplies (thx to pinkbird and others Wink), but I think it would be helpful to compile a list of everyone's favorite places for Honolulu, and have it in one spot.

Please reply with your favorite yarn stores, craft supply stores, salvage or secondhand places, and other ideas for getting crafting materials here in Honolulu. I will compile the names and locations, and reviews from your posts, after a while, so we can have one big list and don't have to read through a bunch of threads...which are still good to have, but one list would be good for QUICK REFERENCE!

Please be specific as you can about name, location (i.e. cross streets) and if you know other stuff, include it (like basic operating hours, selection, friendly operators, locally owned, etc) and share your experience (kind of like a mini review). If you already posted info in another thread, please repost it here so we can add it all in one spot... thx!  Grin

Here's what I compiled so far from the threads:
Yarn Stores:
Isle Knit - Beretania and Bishop, 14th floor of the Century Bldg, local yarn store
Craft Supply of Honolulu (where is it? is it on King and something?)
Ben Franklin, Market City Shopping, off Kaimuki and Kapiolani blvd, national chain but locally owned/operated (?).
-I'm always frustrated about getting knitting needles here though, they never seem to have the size I need  Huh
other Ben Franklins..?

Second-Hand:
Goodwill Surplus - 1533 Kalani (Nimitz area), 845-1071 (thx to pink bird)

Fabric Stores:
Fabric Mart, on Kalakaua between King and Kapiolani. (comments?)

Other sections??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMegan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006 12:28:55 AM »

Add Savers to the thrift store list! MUCH cheaper stuff than Goodwill. Also they have different color tags and every day they will have a 50% off color tag and a .99 color tag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit wit
Take Back the Knit!

Knitting is good for you ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006 04:57:03 PM »

Add Savers to the thrift store list! MUCH cheaper stuff than Goodwill. Also they have different color tags and every day they will have a 50% off color tag and a .99 color tag!

Which Savers is better?

1505 Dillingham (842-0061)
94-300 Farrington Hwy (671-0071)

Do they sell craft stuff at all? or like goodwill - all kinds of stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMegan
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006 12:39:04 PM »

I go to the one in Waipahu more since I live up here. I think Ive only been to the other one once. Its got everything like Goodwill. There is a fabric rack though and they have a ton of patterns and some other stuff if you get lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambiguouslyspecific
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 09:14:19 PM »

Fabric Mart, on Kalakaua between King and Kapiolani

that's the only fabric store I go to!! I went to some other ones like the Dry Goods at Kaimuki but they're really expensive and don't have as much fabric as Fabric Mart.  Fabric Mart has two levels, at first it might be kind of hard to see the stairs that lead up to the second floor (err well it was hard for me, but that's probably just me) but the second floor is the best.  they have a super wide selection of patterned fabric, plain fabric and aloha print. not to mention a lot of others.  it's super cheap too, the regular fabric is like four or five dollars a yard, and if you get the remenants, it's just two dollars a yard.  if you're going to buy fur or leather or the quilt stuff, then that's way expensive.  but it's a bargin. haha. i love this store, or maybe it's just cause i love sewing haha. 

I buy my yarn from walmart haha, most stores only sell red heart and I don't like red heart, it's too itchy.  walmart has nice soft yarn haha.  Oh and I get my needles in china  Lips sealed bamboo ones...i haven't found a nice place to buy needles. oh...wait I remember this craft store at pearlridge or something and it was a craft supply store and they had a niiiice supply of bamboo needles(and reg. ones too but i perfer bamboo) they're yarn selection isn't that bad either.

haha i wrote so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy  Proverbs 14:10
mikiala_midori
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006 03:40:20 PM »

Is it possible to add two categories?  How about Beading and Scrapbooking?  For beading I'd like to add The Bead Gallery on Ward upstairs from Kramer's Big and Tall and Bead It in Kaimuki.  I've also heard DACS in Harbor Center is also a good place.  For Scrapbooking I'd like to add Scrapbook Clubhouse Hawaii near Boston's Pizza on Kamehmeha Highway and Stamps and Memories also in Harbor Center.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are all where we are because of someone along the way and we must never forget to have appreciation and gratitude.
                           ~ Koichi Nishimura
aquagoddess
Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Aunties Rule!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006 04:43:17 PM »

Flora-Dec at 300 Nimitz in Honolulu has a ton of stuff, lots of decorations for weddings and such.  I love Fabric Mart!!! I got 10 yards of satin there for 15 dollars...I decked out the interior of my van with it.  Awesome...Craft Supply of Honolulu is on King St and McCully I think.  They have a lot of yarn for cheap, as cheap as Wallmart (which I boycott).
Another awesome thing is the weekly large item disposal.  People put out the stuff they don't want, anything from fabric to beds to sinks and you can get all kinds of stuff for free.  And the garage sales are great too. 
I also am a member of Freecycle Hawaii, it's a yahoo group where you can post stuff you don't want and also you can post requests.  I got a sewing machine for free through this process!!!
There is so much here people just throw away...and our landfills are going to be full in three years...everyone needs to become a crafter!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If my survival caused another to perish, then death would be sweeter and more beloved." 

-Kahlil Gibran, "The Voice of the Poet"
mmd32
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006 03:12:56 AM »

Well, I am in Sydney right now, but am moving back to Hawaii in a year or so, so am excited to see this, and hope there are some hidden treasures in here by the time i make it back!  Cheesy

My additions to the list for Windward side:

FabricMart in Kaneohe, on Kaneohe Bay Drive (I think....)

Ben Franklins, Kailua, in Enchanted Lake shopping center

Bead It, Kailua, Hamakua Dr and Oneawa...in the back corner of the parking lot, hard to see from the main road.

Other places:

FabricMart, Aiea, is my favorite one of the chain

Aloha Swap Meet has several fabric vendors, with a lot of aloha prints, of course, but also other fabrics; also, you can get cheapy tourist trinkets and jewelry to take apart for the components.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1craftgrl
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006 03:18:10 AM »

For fabric, there is also Kaimuki Dry Goods.  It's located in Kaimuki on 10th Avenue.  It has all types of fabric but it is more on the pricey side. 
The Calico Cat is another fabric store located in Kaimuki, next to the Goodwill store.   She sells mainly cotton printed fabrics (calico) and she also sells wool felt.  It's only open on certain days... I think M W F and Sat...She is a really nice lady.
I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohsofcukingrisque
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006 02:06:17 PM »

hey guys - i just moved here, would anyone know where i could get beginners silk screen kits or anything like it?

or i might just walk down to craft supply of honolulu to check out what they have there later...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NrAWRRRr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Shoes For The Fall Season
Starshell Discusses Debut, Working With Mary J. Blige & Clothing Line
5 Fall Looks From Macy’s Glamorama Show
Ways To Wear Maxi Dresses For Fall
Five Essentials For Fall Fashions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...