A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: **UPDATED** NEW grotesque, gluttonous beasts-- handpainted on vintage plates -  (Read 7343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006 03:49:39 PM »

Grotesque but cool! Just the thing you need for when the in-laws come for dinner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
corduroy cat
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006 03:54:44 PM »

way way cool, i agree that they should be at least $25 a plate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imreallyjustsam
poverty chic

that was hazy, cosmic jive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006 03:58:46 PM »

hahahahahhahaha!  witchybelle, it's funny you should say that-- i actually made two of them at my boyfriend's house, washed them and set them to dry in the dishrack... after his mom came home, i noticed that they were turned around so the backs of the plates were showing... when my boyfriend asked his mom if she turned them around, she admitted that yes, she had, because "they were really creeping me out."  hahahahahaha! it was worth making these just to creep out the future mother-in-law, believe me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SaucyVixen

temper tantrum extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006 04:03:30 PM »

those plates rock!!!! Grin I love it even more with those little flowers on the plates.....good balance of naughty and nice Wink I would definitely pick these up if I was out shopping....I hate all the cheeseball plates that are out now-a-days
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambear
if you want me to, i'll cook and sew.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006 06:00:52 PM »

um, holly crap. completely inspiring. and wonderful. and yes, they will sell, and i would even buy one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

je suis riche, mais sans un sous.
http://www.sambaelegua.com/listen.html
mary contrary
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006 06:15:58 PM »

fantastic! reminds me of Goyas' "saturn devouring his children" that he painted on his dining-room wall...
maybe you could package the sets by theme (like meats, sweet tooth, drinking,etc)--i think there's definitely a market for these...please update (with links) when you decide how you're selling them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyKurl
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006 06:56:31 PM »

That is so grotesquely awesome! It looks so funny on the flowery plates... it's hilarious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
blackheathen
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006 08:41:06 PM »

THEY'RE FANTASTIC!!!!

Maybe you could do a some on a plain new white dinner set (cheap would be ok), and sell them through up-market homewares and gift stores. I think they'd look a whole lot more "expensive" (and saleable) if they were on plain white. While I like the "idea" of the old plates, I probably wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on them. But on new white......wow!! ...... the sky is the limit! I think they would do really, really well.

It's funny the kinds of things people will spend money on ..... I own a gift shop that sells only hand made things, so I hear all sorts of weird comments.

I have one consignor who makes fantastic bronze frogs and lizards etc. Anyway, they sit in a glass cabinet with the jewellery and most people love them (at $100 to $300 each piece). One of her pieces is embedded into a log of wood. One day a customer asked if  it was a joke that an old log of wood was $200! I pointed out the bronze animals on it, but still she couldn't get her head around the fact that a "lump of wood" was $200.

My point being that some people feel they're being ripped off it the "base" isn't "new". Get what I mean? That's been my experience anyway. And as someone else suggested, I think you should get at least $25 each piece.

I think they are BRILLIANT!!!! (I'd love a set myself!!!!) You're onto a winner there!
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not believe in an afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."
-Woody Allen
sleazy_e
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006 08:48:08 PM »

hahaha when i saw this subject line on the front page, i was a little confused 'cause i thought it said "breasts". i need to get my mind out of the gutter... anyway, these are great. i love the juxtaposition of the cutesy flower prints with the bizarro monsters. nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imreallyjustsam
poverty chic

that was hazy, cosmic jive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006 09:21:16 PM »

black heathen, VERY helpful reply!  thank you!  definitely something I will be keeping in mind, I totally understand that mentality!  My mother for one is totally grossed out that I have purchased and used thrift store dishes in my home.. I on the other hand am just happy that I saved something from the landfills, saved money, battled consumerism, and gotten something unique and different too (I had these 1970s pea green floral plates.. so rad.. but all gone now  Cry)

anyway, thanks for all your help everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Guide: Tartan Trousers
DIY: Two-Tone Oxfords in One Step!
The Hottest Show Trends From New York Fashion Week
Fashion Week Detail Camera: Winter Wear - Fall 2014
Tips for Shopping at Forever 21
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...