A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: **UPDATED** NEW grotesque, gluttonous beasts-- handpainted on vintage plates -  (Read 7610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006 11:58:48 AM »

These are way too cool. 

I second the idea of putting them on plain white.  Maybe you could look for a wholesale restaurant supply store near where you live?  That would be cheaper than even the chain stores.   

I don't recommend eBay as a place to start.  The reason is that there is SOOOOOOOOOO much dinnerware on eBay, people probably won't find it.  If you do eBay, I'd say do an eBay store.  Prices don't get as high as an auction might, but in my experience with eBay, with the regular 6 day auctions, you have to relist things a bazillion times.  For the items for which there's a glut, or for things that people won't be able to find through simple searches, the bidding doesn't go very high at all.  But Etsy might be okay.  But maybe you could consign with some shops where you live? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
craft-matic
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006 11:59:18 AM »

These are way too cool. 

I second the idea of putting them on plain white.  Maybe you could look for a wholesale restaurant supply store near where you live?  That would be cheaper than even the chain stores.   

I don't recommend eBay as a place to start.  The reason is that there is SOOOOOOOOOO much dinnerware on eBay, people probably won't find it.  If you do eBay, I'd say do an eBay store.  Prices don't get as high as an auction might, but in my experience with eBay, with the regular 6 day auctions, you have to relist things a bazillion times.  For the items for which there's a glut, or for things that people won't be able to find through simple searches, the bidding doesn't go very high at all.  But Etsy might be okay.  But maybe you could consign with some shops where you live? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Kahlil Gibran

imreallyjustsam
poverty chic

that was hazy, cosmic jive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006 03:57:38 PM »

Grin you all are the most helpful people on earth!  restaurant supply store is a great idea, actually i know just where to find one!  maybe sell individual ones as wall art on cool vintage plates, and make semi-coherent (like someone suggested, themes, etc) 'matching' sets that people would eat off of from new, white plates.  i set up an etsy account but i lost my credit card, so until the new one arrives i can't sell anything there.  the first one, 'wine snob' is sold, if anyone is really interested in the other three just PM me and it's yours!  i'm making more of these tonight on the plates i already have, as well as washing the ones i already made a few times to see how it works.  the paint company, pebeo, claims they are dishwasher safe, so i'm sure handwashing won't hurt them.  i just wouldn't microwave or heat them in the oven.  i'm so happy you like them, the craftster seal of approval is IT!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gopoundsand
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2006 04:41:18 PM »

ahahahha those are great. i giggled as each one loaded. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2006 07:08:30 PM »

Hey--just to let you know, I've used the pebeo quite a lot (here's some stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=33781.0

It's far more simple and doesn't have nearly the character of your creations; I'm more artisan than artist, I'm afraid....)

Anyhow, I've used it on porcelain, and I've used the vitrea as well.  I've used them on candleholders exposed to high heat, I've used them on bakeware, and I've run it through the dishwasher repeatedly, and never had it scratch or peel.  It's truly amazing stuff.  It's probably best to warn people not to put it in the oven, but truthfully it won't hurt it unless it's super high heat (like above 400 and dry).  Overall, the stuff is darn near indestructible once it's set.

But here's another little tip.  If you do a design and you don't like it, and you haven't baked it yet, if you run it through the dishwasher a couple times it'll clear the unwanted design right off!  Of course it's not good for focused alteration, but it's great if you want to start all over on a piece.  If you want to clear part of it, use a small corner of a slightly abrasive kitchen scrubber--the scotch pads are a little too much, but something along that line works great.  Just use a corner of it on the part you want to get rid of, after it's dried.  Or else wrap a nubbly cloth around a Q-tip or pencil and use the end to scratch off the unwanted part. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Kahlil Gibran

corduroy cat
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006 04:56:01 AM »

It's far more simple and doesn't have nearly the character of your creations; I'm more artisan than artist, I'm afraid....)

baloney! your work looks as good as hers! Smiley beautiful stuff, maybe i need to try pebeo, i've seen it around but didnt know what it could be used for. great stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imreallyjustsam
poverty chic

that was hazy, cosmic jive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006 05:32:17 AM »

baloney! your work looks as good as hers! Smiley beautiful stuff, maybe i need to try pebeo, i've seen it around but didnt know what it could be used for. great stuff!

that's what i'm sayin'!  i LOOOOOOVE her stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006 11:46:26 AM »

(Awww, thanks [blush])

I was also thinking, if you hadn't considered it already, that you could tap into a whole nother market by creating some canine or feline beasts in the same vein as the anthropomorphic ones...and then paint them on porcelain food and water dishes.  A wrinkly, gluttunous bassett or something--they'd be so cute!  Even if they were monsterous!  And people with gluttonous animals would hardly be able to resist... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Kahlil Gibran

Zephyr
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006 03:35:53 PM »

Did you create these characters?? Ahh I love them so much!! You would sell those in a heart beat. The last one is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
its_eva
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006 11:53:03 PM »

I LOVVVE these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boyfriend Style Hijack!
Kardashian Style Klash: Kim Vs Kendall 2013
The Style Sins of Paris Hilton
Different Celeb Same Dress: Kyle Minogue, Nicki Minaj and JLaw
Beth Ditto: Steal Her Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...