A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Portable Protein? Non-beef; breakfast use...  (Read 1818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2006 09:46:12 AM »

So here's my problem:

I have found that my perfect breakfast is of the Turkish sort -- feta, olives, an egg, perhaps a veg or toast.  My mornings are soooo much better if I have my protein for breakfast that it is mind-boggling!  Yes, I have at long last FOUND the secret to my dietary success!.... Cheesy

...My problem?  Undecided  I am now in a situation where I eat breakfast in the car during my commute (only during red lights, honest).  I am sick to death of eating sticks of string cheese; I've grown diverticuli (sp??) so I have to take it easy with nuts-on-an-empty-stomach (sob  Cry -- almonds were my savior); I stopped eating beef when living in Scotland in the 90s, so jerky is out; the posh protein bars I've tried taste disgusting and cost too much...

What avenue(s) am I missing?
 Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Coyotelady
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006 09:51:48 AM »

What about putting your regular breakfast fair into a pita pocket or wrapping it in a tortilla?  I often scrabble an egg, add a little cheese and ham or turkey, wrap it up in a tortilla and out the door I go.  It's quick, easy to eat and relatively unmessy with paper towel or napkin wrapped around the whole thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006 06:31:07 PM »

soy protein smoothies. you can find protein powder in health food stores and blend it up with some fruit and milk.
you can also bake some granola bars and add nuts/pb/soy protein powder in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006 09:35:42 PM »

I've tried two smoothies that had protein powder, and they were....well....blehk Weird gritty consistancy and weirder tasting.
Is there a trick, or a brand, of protein poweder that doesn't make the smoothie taste disgusting?  Because it sure would be a slick solution to my breakfast problem....  Undecided Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
allie-loki
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006 06:27:08 AM »

hm... i dont know what brand the stuff i get is. i buy it in a bag at the drugstore. i tried genisoy once and i didn't really like it.
im going to the drugstore friday or saturday i try to remember to have a look. check back in a few days if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006 01:12:36 PM »

Make soup with protein in it, whirl it around in the blender, and sip it from a coffee hot cup.

Hummus or chicken salad in a low-carb wrap.

Chicken fingers with a yoghurt dipper.

Soy milk has a good bit of protein already. I don't see the point of adding protein to it unless you're deprived of the stuff the rest of the day. Protein powder won't ever completely dissolve. Live with chalkiness or do without!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacktastic
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006 01:16:04 PM »

Oatmeal with flax seeds - it's made by Nature's Path and is sold in place like Whole Foods and such.  Flax has lots of good stuff and protein it and with the oatmeal, shouldn't cause you an empty-stomach problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myredumbrella
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006 03:46:34 PM »

At my local health food store they carry unbeef jerky, i can't think of the name, but they are unsually in the health bar section. they are packed with protein and they are pretty good.  they come in many flavors like bbq.  i like to snack on them anytime during the day. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mellyp

QFA - you know you want to...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006 03:57:32 PM »

i too have to eat breakfast on the go and had to find a good protein for the AM commute. i do a hardboiled egg - if you peel them before you get in the car they are super portable. also i take a ziploc baggie full of honey wheat pretzel sticks, some cherry tomatoes and a microwavable veggie sausage patty (like morning star). mmmm good.
i second the non beef jerkys - here we have turkey jerky, smoked salmon jerky, and even a soy one that isn't awful but also not my first choice. they are great to have in your desk as a midday snack too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alberta alberta - crafty goodness for you and your home
albertaalberta.etsy .com
http://albertaalberta.blogspot.com/
menqet
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006 04:23:40 PM »

I second the breakfast-in-a-tortilla. Sometimes on the weekends, I make a whole mess o' breakfast burritos using an egg substitute, crumbled Morningstar breakfast patties, sauteed onions, cheese (you could use a cheese substitute). I also sometimes put a little picante sauce on them. I wrap them in whole wheat tortillas and wrap each one in a little plastic wrap and freeze them. Then I reheat them throughout the week on 50% power in the microwave, wrapped up in a slightly damp paper towel. They're pretty good, and my junk-food husband even grabs some before he goes to work.

These are all good suggestions! I'm always having problems coming up with good morning protein substitutes, too - high cholesterol's my problem! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grow Out Your Hair
How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair
New Hairstyle: The Pixie Crop
Funky 50s Hairstyles
How to Hide Big Ears
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...