A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions Needed for Naughty Boob Crafts - Breast Cancer Fund Raiser  (Read 8261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mazzy
« on: March 04, 2006 06:36:29 PM »

One of my friends was just diagnosed with breast cancer.  She is a single mother with no health insurance and a low paying job. 

(That's her - all the way to the right)

My girlfriends and I are trying to think of ways to raise money for her medical bills and expenses.  We've already had one event where a group of us read some of our blogs at a local bar.  It was a huge success and we plan on doing it again.

Since I'm a crafting addict I'd like to plan a craft show.  We've talked about making plaster casts of our breasts and decorating them to auction off.  I know that will be a big hit!  I'm trying to find some other estrogen heavy crafts to make also.  I'm having trouble finding anything that doesn't look like Pepto-Bismol exploded all over it.

So that's what I need your help with....  Help me find boob related crafts that are naughty, risque, silly, and/or surprising.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dizzydragonfly
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006 08:18:49 PM »

Someone on Craftster made a knit or sewn boob...plus posted a funny story about a guest seeing it.

Maybe you could make a "boob" checker set. I am thinking maybe fimo/sculpey to make little boobie checker pieces! Or perhaps ceramic items painted to look like, well ya know! I imagine you could make anything with roundness into breast-related items.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006 08:22:13 PM »

Wow, I'm very sorry about this. But your friend is very lucky to have all of you. I would suggest doing a bake sale with the craft show. Maybe you could decorate cookies or cakes to look like breasts. Also just do regular baking goodies. I like the plaster idea, it sounds great! Maybe someone could make buttons, everyone likes buttons. You could do a pink ribbon as well as fun sayings. Sorry I don't have many ideas but I wanted to say you are a great friend for doing this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006 01:54:24 PM »

I'm a polymer clayer, and there are many boob-y polymer items that you could make ... they could have different functions too, like:
...jewelry, bowls, covered votive holders, covered pens, etc.
They could be items, or cane images, or transfers, or molded items, or stamped images or impressions, etc., etc.

I also once made something inadvertently that immediately screamed boob to me. 
The edges of a polymer clay sheet (after it's been passed through a pasta machine a few times) will retain a sort of rough, crackled appearance... I had cut this edge off to make a nicely smooth edge on the main sheet, but then had rolled up the leftover strip on my work surface (so the cut edge was even on the bottom side)... this left a sort of pointy boob shape which was quite interesting, elegant even <g>.  I did it again, and put two of them together, and voila... very cool.  If you don't have a pasta machine, you could either use a "dry" clay (like FimoClassic) or leach any clay but Sculpey, then tear off strips of it and do the same thing (tearing should leave an uneven surface like that).  Or, of course you could just do the rolling up thing with a long triangle of polymer clay, then cut the resulting "croissant" or "magazine bead" in half to make two boobs with smoother edges.

Another possiblilty would be using half (or only the front) of a flattened bicone shape... for more info on those, check out this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/beads.htm
(...click on "Bicones, using Flat Surface Roller"...)

And here are some other simple boobs for inspiration:
...bride has a large cone of alum. foil, topped with polmer chest/boobs, neck and head
http://www.marcysclaypen.com/bridegroom/bridegroom.html
...various boob possibilities by Joanne
http://www.glassattic.com/~glassatt/imagesOBJ_SEAS_MISC/Hallow+/Joanne_Dia.htm

Also, this may not be relevant for sales, but there is also an ongoing "project" in the polymer clay community for making "Bottles of Hope" (or Bottles of Caring) for breast cancer patients and for friends with breast cancer. 
You can read all about these on this page... I'm sure she would love one of these from you and/or her other friends:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/BOH.htm

Best of luck to your friend!

Diane B.
--- polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Lollygaggle

Stuck in a moment...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006 02:19:35 PM »

AWE! *Sorry about your friend, but I'm sure with a friend like you she is a *FIGHTER* right? Smiley Seriously though, I was very moved by you post!
  Here's a suggestion, maybe have someone make some collages with pictures od breasts and womens faces and maybe incorporate some words to along with the theme.. I dunno. Maybe words like "Fighter" "Strength" "Strong"  "Surviour" etc Smiley  You could even have paper maches boobs glued down onto your surface and collaged/painted,etc!
Good luck!!! Let us know how it's going ok? Smiley
*God Bless you and your friend* Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006 02:28:03 PM »

How sad, but what thoughtful friends you all are.

What about decorating bras and auctioning them off? You could go really wild with beads, sequins, feathers etc. and make them into works of art. Or just stencil regular bras so that they could still be worn.

Lv2Scrpbk's idea of a bake sale is a great one... what about also making chocolates or truffles? In a conical shape, dipped in white chocolate, and a dab of pink icing on top... I find that people will pay quite a bit for a little treat if they know it is for a good cause.  Or cupcakes?  Easy to make, and the right shape (more or less).

If you or your friends are knitters, Knitty made a breast cancer mini-issue, the boobie scarf is in there:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/knittyF04surp.pdf

Wishing your friend good health and yourself good luck with your craft sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
BethyG

bang bang bang. the bigger, the better.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006 02:45:56 PM »

condolences for you friend- i lost my grandfather of cancer the day after Christmas a couple years ago
A few small craft ideas popped into my head- these include magnets, bean bags,... have you ever seen one of those soup/cookie in a jar things? maybe you could make those and decorate them appropriately.
i don't know. Please wish your friend the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The boys i mean are not refined
They cannot chat of that and this
They do not give a fart for art
They kill like you would take a piss
They speak whatever's on their mind
They do whatever's in their pants
The boys i mean are not refined
They shake the mountains when they dance
mazzy
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006 05:03:26 PM »

Thank you so much for the kind wishes and great ideas!

I love the baking ideas.  We could even get our kids involved in that.
Sculpey boobs sound like fun!  I can think of all sorts of hysterical jewelry we could make!
Decorating bras is something all my girlfriends would get into!
The knit things are really neat.  I'm going to have to dig out some needles and see if I still remember how to knit.

I'm having visions of crafting parties!!!
Keep the good ideas coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006 05:14:50 PM »

Or the knitted bra/tank ("zaftig") from Knitty?
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTzaftig.html

I'll try to keep thinking of other things....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
BettyThreat
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006 05:27:09 PM »

Lamps made of bustiers or other lingerie frozen with starch or however you do it?  I'm not thinking well right now.

Bras signed by local celebrities?

handmade pasties? (see pastease.com or nippies patch of freedom)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOve -Betty
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Jubilee Pennant
How to Make a Jubilee Banner
How to Make Jubilee Bunting
How to Make Jubilee Bunting Flags
How to Make Paper Bunting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...