A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: looking for crafty fundraising ideas!  (Read 1080 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2006 08:44:24 PM »

my name is katie and i'm 18 years old! this summer i am traveling with the social justice group of my school to the amazon region of brazil to experience the living and working conditions of people in developing areas of the world! we will be living in the same fashion that everyone in the village lives every day so the actual expenses of the 2 weeks we will be in Brazil won't be a whole lot. however because it's such a romote area we are traveling to and because i live in canada and brazil is quite a ways away the airfare is close to $2000. unfortunately i do not have the means to pay for that out of my pocket. all the money i earn at work needs to be put away for my post secondary education and my parents do not have the funds to support me in this.

i am calling upon you for help. however creative i can be in my crafting ideas i cannot seem to put that same creativity into fundraising ideas! i always hate asking people for money and i'm looking for a fresh new way to earn money while giving something back to the people who have been kind enough to donate! i would love to hear your suggestions.

the biggest problem i am facing in trying to raise funds is that i don't have a large group of people to target or a venue to hold my events at! in a school of 1500 students we do not have the resourses to support every small group that needs money for a trip or new uniforms or whatever. and the school cannot aprove many fundraising events held inside the building because then every other day there would be one group or another begging the school community for money! i also do not belong to a church or a youth group or a community center and this presents a problem in trying to find people to support my cause!

i was thinking about making different crafts and selling them online, as i have seen many people on here doing for personal profit. i was wondering how long it takes to get something like that running smoothly, how much profit you make, where i would host something like that (is it better to go though a site like ebay or just to create a website with a paypal program) jsut all the details weather or not it would be worth my while and if it would be a profitable way to fundraise!

any other ideas would be great! also if you are interested in donating your time, skills or funds to my cause i would absoloutly love to hear from you! thanks so much in advance for all your help! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
fancycrafter
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006 11:42:42 AM »

If you're creative and have some design ideas, then you could use his site: http://www.cafepress.com . You just sign up for free, create your shirt/hat/bag designs, then choose a price, and you're set to go. You just need to figure out how you would market your site, which I'm sorry to say I don't have any suggestions on.

Really, it's just about finding a craft product that you know how to make that people would be interested in, then creating a nice site for it, and marketing it to get the word out about it as much as you can. I hope that helps. I know how it is when you're trying to raise funds like this, I'm currently in the process of doing that myself so that I can get back into college. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wookiewoo
Wookiewoo! Wookie who? Wookiewoo!!!

No Meanies!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006 08:28:18 PM »

I think it's great that you are attempting all this, it's pretty overwhelming for me and I'm 26!  I'm raising money for Relay for Life and we have been doing some crafty stuff.  We are making simple bracelets and selling them for $5, they cost about $1.50 to make.  We are also making lip balms to sell, we don't have a price but the cost is about $.75 each.  We are also hosting a crop, basically a day of scrapbooking, virtually no costs, it's at a school cafeteria, but it involves a lot of time for planning.

You could maybe partner up with a store, scrapbooking, beads, whatever you're into, and try to sell your stuff there.  I've had more success at really small stores and really big stores, the others seem to not give?  Not sure why. 

You could also look into grant money.  Your school conselor may be able to help you with that, but I would think there would be someone out there supporting that kind of thing.

I don't know if that will help much, hope it does Smiley
Good luck
Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006 11:34:58 AM »

It's hard to target groups... but see... I'm an insane knitter... and we always want pretty stitch markers, pretty needle rolls... things like that.  If you can sew, you can make.  If you can bead, you can make.  Try etsy.com.  A lot of people on craftster have those shops and they do okay for the most part. 
I was never good at asking for $ either.  You could make kits for different things.. melt record bowls or buy cheap baskets at the thrift store (lots of times they're only 50 cents!) and fill them up with:
movie theme:  cheap dvd, box of whoppers, 2 bottles of jolt cola, breath mints, bag of popcorn
bath theme:  loofah (or knit a soap sack), wash cloth, pretty soaps, bath oils, relaxing mix CD to listen to whilst soaking
knitting theme (oh, yay!):  pair of needles, beaded stitch markers, a skein of pretty yarn, a tape measure, a needle roll... and of course you would want to sell this for no less than $40ish.  i'm sure some crazy knitter would die for it (like i do!)

Good luck in your endeavors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
msonsei
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006 05:30:26 PM »

Hello Katie - I just sent you an e-mail.  I am new to this group and saw your post.  I put together note card kits for local groups to help them raise funds.  I was thinking I could donate two kits to you.  You can make the product and sell them.  Note Cards are always well received, very 'usable' and a good value.  The kit makes 10 packages of 8 cards and you get all the supplies plus the sample card as reference in making the other cards.  The groups in my area generally sell the packages of cards for 12.00 USD.  I would print the back of the card stock to say something to the effect:  the proceeds from the sale of this card is used to sponsor Katie XXX in her desire to make this world a better place,"  (i may have embellished this too much).  It could mention the group you will be travelling/working with.  Essentially it is to let someone know that the card was made and sold with a good and honorable purpose.

If you are interested let me know
Meighan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Use Exposure Settings in a Digital Camera
Learn how to Understand File Formats in a Digital Camera
Learn how to Choose a Digital Camera
Learn how to Take Digital Photographs
Secrets of Child Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...