A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flapperish or 1930's Cloche Hat with Flower - - Pattern Too!  (Read 93047 times)
Tags for this thread: cloche , featured_project , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slystr
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2004 06:35:26 PM »

Beepy Cat, I just tried to make a hat from Midnight Knitter, the chunky crochet hat, and I got the point again on it! I think it has something to do with how I'm joining the ends of a round together. as I looked at my Big Bessie Smith hat, I saw that there was weirdness along the area where the rounds ended, some kind of increasing or weird joining ans that is producing a elongated & pointy 20's looking edge. I remembered that I made the Bessie hat bigger because at the time I had baby locks going on & needed something bigger to cover them. I will continue to investigate this. DD needs her hair comed out. ( bi-racial angst will follow)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes crafty
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2004 09:24:06 PM »

From my earlier post:

But I do have a question.  I had some trouble when joining beginning with rnd 6.  It says to skip last dc and join to 3rd ch of beginning ch.  If I did that it left a huge space.  Maybe I wasn't pulling tight enough, I don't know?  So, I just winged it.   I do want to make more though and want to do it right!  It left the V shapes (formed when you dc, ch 1, dc into the ch 1 space) that come down the hat a little askew.  When I get the camera I'll post the pics if I'm not explaining well enough.  Sorry!!

I think this is probably the same problem slystr is encountering.  How I didn't end up with a point I don't know!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2004 09:26:34 PM »

Oh if only I could crochet!  Roll Eyes

It's beautiful and looks so professional! Nice job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
xmelinda
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2004 06:16:41 AM »

Beppycat, I salute you for putting your gauge as a diameter!! 

For several days, I have been struggling to make a hat out of some leftover yarn, and I cannot get it to come out right for some reason.  I'm not new at this, either!  I've made dozens of hats in the past.  I've tried 4 different patterns and ways of using the yarn (i.e. 2 yarns together, alternate strands like stripes, etc.), I've tried different hooks.  I don't know what's going on.  And all the patterns I've tried put down the gauge in a way that makes no sense for a round piece, and I haven't been able to figure it out.  I thought to myself "Why don't you just tell me what the diameter should be for X number of rows??"  Hooray for you!!

So I thought, okay, there was that cute flapper hat on craftster, I'll go see what her pattern says... I'm going to try your pattern next, and if it works out, I'll post a photo!  Grin

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2004 07:03:38 AM »

melinda, glad to help, lol.  Hopefully, this one will work out for you.

From my earlier post:

But I do have a question.  I had some trouble when joining beginning with rnd 6.  It says to skip last dc and join to 3rd ch of beginning ch.  If I did that it left a huge space.  Maybe I wasn't pulling tight enough, I don't know?  So, I just winged it.   I do want to make more though and want to do it right!  It left the V shapes (formed when you dc, ch 1, dc into the ch 1 space) that come down the hat a little askew.  When I get the camera I'll post the pics if I'm not explaining well enough.  Sorry!!

I think this is probably the same problem slystr is encountering.  How I didn't end up with a point I don't know!

I think maybe it's a similar problem but not exactly the same.  You were encountering those spaces because that's sort of the nature of the join when keeping the pattern stitch.  I always just make sure to join tightly to try to minimize it, though there's a "seam" running up my hat too.  I think that maybe slystr is increasing when she's joining somehow.  I'm pretty sure that an increase on every row in the same spot would give you a point like that.  Or maybe you are doing the joining correctly, slystr, but not doing it as tightly as the rest of your crocheting.  That might cause the point to grow too.  Anyway, it was a happy accident, cause it looks pretty cool.  Skinny white lady in the twenties cool.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
stitchqueen

Bury me with my yarn stash!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2004 10:07:07 AM »

BeppyCat,

Just want to give you a little feedback on the pattern:  I have done two of the hats so far, and love the pattern.....I used a cotton thread I had on hand, kinda a sport weight, and it worked out great..I will post a picture in a little bit.  Anyway, on the subject of the seam showing, when I came to the end of the round and joined to the 3rd ch of the ch 4 of the beginning of the round, I did a slip stitch in the next chain, and then began the ch 4 for the next round.  This puts the ch 4 in the middle of the "V stitch", and there is no visible seam.  This worked great for me, you can't see the beginning of a round on the finished hat.  And just for future info, on the flower instructions, it would be nice to have a note that the second round of petals goes behind the first round.  I did not realize this, as this was my first time at doing flowers, so my flower turned out backwards!  Beautiful, but backwards!  Just thought you would like the info incase you wanted to update your pattern.  You did a great job on writing it, keep up the good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchqueen

Bury me with my yarn stash!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2004 09:42:22 PM »

Thought you might like to see the hats I did, the red one has the backwards flower (beautiful backwards!).  I have tried several patterns for crocheted roses, and the like this one the best.

Thanks BeppyCat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjgirl

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2004 03:50:09 AM »

I too have been addicted!! Smiley  I've crocheted around 5 in the past day! Smiley Guilty.  I modified the pattern to be compatable with Lionbrand Chunk USA and I like the look better - it kinda looks like something I saw at America Eagle a while ago.  I cut down the double crochet top and increased using the V-stitch. I'll post a pic when I get home from school, but thought that you guys would like to know. Smiley

P.S. You might be getting the point when you join the rounds.  I was about to V-stitch in the next space, but you kinda have to skip one after doing the ch 4, dc.  Then skip the next ch 1 space and v-stitch in the next ch 1.  I don't know if I explained that well, or if that's even the case.  But just though I'd throw in my two cents.

P.S.S. WONDERFUL PATTERN!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: www.jjcrochet.etsy.com
My Website: http://www.jjcrochet.com
My Blog (with free crochet + knit patterns!): www.jjcrochet.com/blog
www.facebook.com/jjcrochet
slystr
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2004 05:36:13 AM »

Thanks all  you who are helping  with my pointed  problem.
 Now if I WANT to get the point, can anyone tell me just what to do? I kind of understand what  MAY have happened, but as a newbie, I dont quite understand exactly what I am doing. I just LOVE the pointty bit and would like to get it on purpose rather than some random serendipitous accident.
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slystr
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2004 05:41:12 AM »

Thought you might like to see the hats I did, the red one has the backwards flower (beautiful backwards!).  I have tried several patterns for crocheted roses, and the like this one the best.

Thanks BeppyCat!

How are you using the pattern to get the holes in the hat? mine came out tighter and I'd like to have a hat with a larger ho,e pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Crochet Embellishments to Clothing
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
How to Recycle Household Items Into Handmade Ornaments
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...