A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flapperish or 1930's Cloche Hat with Flower - - Pattern Too!  (Read 91725 times)
Tags for this thread: cloche , featured_project , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2004 11:23:26 AM »

Hi everyone!
I designed this hat to send to sarahfroggy for a trade she and I are doing.  I thought you all might like to see it, and I wrote the pattern out in case anyone wants to make one.  Also (I'm not sure if this is inappropriate to mention, but I'll take it out if it's against the rules), if anyone wants one but you don't want to make it yourself, I have them for sale on my site in the fashion section.  Hope that's not too blatant a plug.   Cheesy

Here's the pattern:

1930s Inspired Crocheted Cloche with Flower
Bethany James
Please do not copy or distribute.  If youd like to share with a friend please send them the link to come here.  You may print for your own use.
Finished size:
Adult one size fits all
Materials:
Worsted Weight Yarn (model is done in Bucilla wonder-knit 4-ply knitting worsted weight 100% acrylic)
Size H crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Gauge:
   Rnds 1-3 = 2in. Diameter
Pattern notes:
   Join with a slip stitch at the end of every round.
   Back Post Single Crochet (bpsc): insert hook from the back around the stitch indicated.
Hat:
   Rnd 1: ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, join to 1st sc.
   Rnd 2: ch 1, 2 sc in every sc around, join to 1st sc.
   Rnd 3: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc, here and throughout), dc in same sp, 2 dc in each sc around.  Join to 3rd ch in beginning ch 3
   Rnd 4: ch 3, 2 dc in next double crochet, *dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc.  Repeat from * around.  Join to 3rd ch in beginning ch 3
   Rnd 5: ch 3, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, *dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc.  Repeat from * around.  Join to 3rd ch in beginning ch 3
   Rnd 6: ch 4 (counts as first dc, ch 1, here and throughout), dc in same space, *skip next dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in same dc.  Repeat from * around.  Skip last dc and join in 3rd ch of the beginning ch.
   Rnd 7: ch 4, dc in same space, *dc in next ch 1 space, ch 1, dc in same space.  Repeat from * around.  Join in 3rd ch of beginning ch.
   Rnd 8-18: Repeat rnd 7
   Rnd 19: ch 1, *2 sc in next ch1 space, sc between next 2 dc.  Repeat from * around.  Join to 1st sc.
   Rnd 20: ch 1, sc in each sc around, join to 1st sc.  Fasten off and weave in end.
Flower:
   Rnd 1: leaving a 10 inch tail of yarn, ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, join to 1st sc
   Rnd 2: ch 1, sc in same space, ch 5, *sc in next sc, ch 5.  Repeat from * around.  Join in 1st sc.
   Rnd 3: sl st into first ch 5, (sc, 5 hdc, sc) in each ch 5 sp.  Join around the back of the 1st sc in Rnd 2.
   Rnd 4: ch 6, *bpsc around next sc from rnd 2, ch 6.  Repeat from * around.  Join to the ending sl st from rnd 3.
   Rnd 5: sl st into 1st ch 6, (sc, 6 dc, sc) in each ch 6 sp.  Join to 1st sc.  Fasten off and weave in end.
Using the tail of yarn on the flower, sew the flower securely onto the side of the hat near the bottom.

I'd love to hear feedback about the design and pattern.  Whatever helpful hints you might have would be great.  I'm hoping to learn to do more crochet designing and pattern writing and want to make sure I'm using good habits early on.  Thanks everyone!  Hope you like the pattern!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008 11:57:54 AM by BeppyCat - Reason: Added pattern to post to make sure it would stay available. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004 11:30:29 AM »

That is so gorgeous! I only knit but now i wished i crochet too!

Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004 11:51:18 AM »

can't wait to get it in the mail Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 11:52:11 AM »

Totally envious of the hat and the crochet skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
Jessie
Goodmorning Starshine the Earth says HELLO!

Jazzzzmataz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004 12:32:34 PM »

that is sooooo cool! I love the hat! I have been wanting one like that forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jakesmom31
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004 12:33:59 PM »

I love it!  Can't wait to try out the pattern. . .way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004 03:57:44 PM »

Thanks everyone!  Sarahfroggy, I know what you mean, I'm super excited about my fabric!  *squeal of excitement*

Jessie pointed out to me that not everyone knows the standard crochet abbreviations, so I thought I should post a key of the abbreviations I've used.  If anyone finds any mistakes, please let me know, this is my first try at designing.

sl st = Slip Stitch
sc = Single Crochet
dc = Double Crochet
ch = Chain
hdc = Half Double Crochet

My advice to anyone trying to learn abbreviations is to write out the instructions all the way, replacing the words for the abbreviations.  I would have done that with this pattern, but I figured I'd try my hand at writing a pattern the way it would have to be written for submission to a magazine.

Great instructions for working these stitches and a ton more can be found at http://www.stitchguide.com.  They have videos, yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004 02:37:53 AM »

Oh my gosh, I have been scouring the internet looking for a cute pattern for one of those!  You are a saint, and that hat is absolutely adorable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeppyCat

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004 06:15:17 AM »

Wow, I'm a saint!   Grin
I'm glad that you like it.  If you're planning to make one, could you post a picture?  I'd like to see if my pattern writing is up to par.  No biggie if you can't.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004 06:49:49 PM »

I'd be happy to post a pic.  I'm a slow crocheter, though, so it might be a while. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southern Cornbread with Sage Casserole Recipe
Crock Pot Eye of Round Roast Recipe
Beautiful Buttery Brown Noodles Recipe
Creamy Cream Cheese Corn Recipe
Beef Stew from Leftovers and Gravy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...