A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: make your own paper?  (Read 2124 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xxx at heart
« on: December 04, 2003 08:02:23 PM »

i want to make my own paper for christmas cards this year.  i only have a vague idea on how to do this, so could anyone give me instructions for making your own paper...?

thanks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomoreacesikks
ducks can do it too

i'm a....chicken?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003 09:21:37 PM »

actually a friend of mine makes a lot of paper
ill have her post soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...<---has bird fetish
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003 09:22:18 PM »

here's a good thread from the glitter boards on papermaking

http://discuss.gromco.com/mwforum/topic_show.pl?id=35972
THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003 07:15:44 AM »

i used to make my own paper.  it's really easy and a lot of fun.  all you do is take some paper that looks like it could get soaked (newspaper, color printer paper, old books, etc.) and rip them up into small pieces.  get yourself a cheap blender at a dollar store.  put all the paper in there and add some water.  just guess.  it'll be pretty thick like oatmeal.  this is your main pulp stuff.  

now you need a bigger container like something you could soak your feet in.  pour water into it about half to 3/4 full.  then dump in your pulp stuff.  this is where you add glitter, flowers, food coloring, whatever.  oops!  you need a strainer!

the best thing to use is an old screen from a window.  if you don't have that use pantyhose & a wire clothes hanger.  shape the wire into a rectangle and stretch the hose over it.  for the window screen just cut it into a rectangle.  these are your strainer things, so be sure they're small enough to be dipped into your larger container.

remember, these are all guesstimation directions--you really can't goof it up.  anyway, once you have a strainer thing, stir up your water & pulp and dip in your strainer.  basically, you slide your strainer down the side of the container then you slowly bring it to the surface.  it will catch your paper pulp stuff.  btw, the consistency of your mix will now be very, very runny.  if you picked up a nice thin layer on your strainer, you did good.  if it's a super thick mass--add more water.  if you can totally see your strainer through it--add more pulp.

you're almost done now.  all you gotta do is set these suckas out to dry.  which is why you want a bunch of strainers (didn't mention that before!).  i do them all at once.  i do this in the warm months, so in the cold months i guess you just find a warm spot for them to dry out.  in the summer i sometimes get bugs that land on my paper, so i squish them into it & they become a part of my paper (i know, it's cruel).  once they're dry, just peel them off & cut them into whatever shape you want.  

don't forget--this is the poor man's way.  i'm sure, actually i know, there's better methods.  this is not at all how we did it in my paper-making class, but who's got all the money for that crazy equipment?  

be creative in what you add to your mix--there's all kinds of stuff!!!  and you can also add stuff while it's still wet on your screen, like i did w/ the bugs.  good luck & have fun!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003 01:23:41 PM »

bugs?!?  Shocked Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
spicymulatta

all people want is someone to listen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003 09:39:21 PM »

You can add almost anything to paper.  You can also do dried leaves and flowers and things.

also, what i did once in a workshop was dry it on an embroidery hoop and make two pieces.  Cut a ribbon and when the pieces are semi dry but still have a lot of water in them, press them together with the ribbon in the middle and sticking out.  When they're completely dry, fold over so you have a half circle shape.  Make a small booklet of paper to fit inside, glue it in, and then tie it closed with a ribbon.  Now you have a mini journal, a place to write a nice letter to a friend, or whatever else you can think of.  It really looks nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Agora, que fao eu da vida sem voc?
in hollywood, you only fail upward|snap a shot|juice me
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003 09:52:38 AM »

ooh that sounds lovely! do you have any pics?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
spicymulatta

all people want is someone to listen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003 07:42:01 PM »

Sadly, I don't.  I don't have a digital camera.  But it really is beautiful.  If you try, can you post a pic of it for everyone to see?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Agora, que fao eu da vida sem voc?
in hollywood, you only fail upward|snap a shot|juice me
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003 01:00:43 PM »

when i was a t.a. for kindergarten we made our own paper and it was soooooo fun... messy but fun!
the directions that comfits posted is exactly how we did it... thank you soooooo much for that btw!! i had forgoten how and i had really been wanting to make some lately.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair in a French Twist
How to Straighten Hair
How to Use a Curling Iron
How to Use a Hair Dryer
How to Tease Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...