A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,314
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THRIFTY BAG! (ALL BAGS ARE UNDER HERE, IN ORDER!)
Blazer clutch by my_idiosyncrasy
Flower skirt clutch by Crafty_Witch15
Jeans and Confetti Messenger Bag by Drea4545
Slyvia by seaofstars
Cinderella tape purse by Miss American Pie
Rose Purse by justforme
Knitting bag by CosmicCarrot
Carter center purse by princesakati
Chinchilla bag by abuelitodimetu
Girls' pants bag by GirlyGirlBags
Rainbow Sherbert Placemat Purse by dayzi
Crazy Patch Bucket Bag by Helendwatermelon
Jacket bag by aramasamsam
Book purse by alisonwonderland
Crocheted purse by cantafruit
Pink Cord Bag by platinumbarbie
Reversable tote by SunshynDzyne
Rainbow purse by weeza
Cord and paisley purse by licalee
Popcan purse by bluemondayy
Trench purse by olilo
Skull bag by dyanemcs
The Bowling Bag of Terror by Naked_Ninja
Kylie's Mini Bag Bag by vampirategurrl08
Skirt bag by Solia
Estee with a new perm by Margarita Miss
The Shoe Bag by junquette
Vinyl Star Purse by Lique
Ultimate Diaper Bag by angelbum
Recycled Overcoat by Fortune_32

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *WINNER ANNOUNCED!* BAG CHALLENGE :1: NIFTY THRIFTY!  (Read 20715 times)
Tags for this thread: pbw_challenge_1_nifty_thrifty  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2006 10:01:38 AM »

*WINNER OF THIS CHALLENGE* -- Jacket bag by aramasamsam with 29 votes!

The theme for BAG CHALLENGE # 1 is: Nifty Thrifty!

How to do this challenge: Spend only $5 to make your bag! Use anything you think will look good-- your only restriction this time is money.

Deadline for Entries:
April 1, 2006

Winner will receive a Craftster button from Leah! Smiley

Posting your entries: THEY GO IN A REPLY TO THIS TOPIC! Please give your bag a title so voting will be easier Smiley

Important:
Remember that because every entry will be in this one thread, we cannot clutter the thread with off topic chatter. If you have a question about something please PM me and don't post it in the thread. If you have a compliment/question for someone else, PM it to them please. Everyone has to vote for your purse, and it will be much harder if they have to scroll through 4 pages of talking to find the entries and they may not even want to. I will have to delete off topic posts. It's for your own best interest to make sure everyone sees your entries! Smiley

What will happen to the thread/entries after the contest: I will "archive" this thread on the main page so everyone can see the past entries.

See the original thread here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=81298.0
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006 07:31:05 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
my_idiosyncrasy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 06:00:11 PM »

Can I enter a purse I made prior to this if it fits the rules?
Or at least show off my super nifty thriftiness...

I made this clutch for a total of $0! a big zero!

All it took was some scavenging around my house. It's made from an old blazer of my dads, circa 1980 at least, an old red t-shirt i stole from my brother(it was ful of holes anyway) , and some left over red ribbon that originally came from a free gift basket. The button (and button hole!) are from the blazer. There's also a strap that I have tucked into the clutch in the pictures, that's made from the collar of the blazer, so it's nice and stiff and has a soft felt on the underside that was already there.

It's cheap and cute and I'm so sad I gave it away.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary
Crafty_Witch15
BLT

copper boom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006 10:46:45 PM »

Well, I made this clutch on friday out of scraps so it cost me nothing but time!

The flower fabric is from a skirt I just made and it is lined with some prink fabric left over from one of my mom's quilts. Very girly, very me.

~K~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my fashion blog

http://karent.wordpress.com/
Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006 04:48:59 AM »

Cleaning out the closet... found some old jeans that were way out of style.  I used this challenge to make my first handbag ever.  I made the pattern out of 8 1/2 x 11 computer paper.  Cut up the jeans for the outside of the bag and the straps and also re-used the pocket for the inside.  The lining is leftover from an outfit that I made for my 2-year-old.  The bag size is about 8x10.5 (thanks to my paper size). Cost = $0!
ETA: Title- Jeans and Confetti Messenger Bag

It is also fully reversible...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006 10:04:40 AM by Drea4545 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006 05:49:35 PM »

I made this purse for about $4.00! Made with left over cotton scraps, a home-made fabric covered button and some gorgeous wool. Meet Slyvia:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006 05:56:56 PM by seaofstars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
http://sewserious.etsy.com

Blog
Blog Giveaway happening right now! Ends Monday, March 7th. Stop by for details on how to win a free zipper pouch!
http://sewserious.blogspot.com
Miss American Pie
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006 09:03:35 PM »

I made this cute little purse out of the box from an old Cinderella tape. It's lined with material from an old pillowcase and decorated with some old ribbon and lace I had lying around.

Front-

Back-

Inside-

There's only enough room for the essentials- phone, keys, duck-tape wallet. It's so cool though, and it was really easy to make. Also, it didn't cost me a penny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justforme
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006 03:59:39 PM »

Made this Rose Purse out of and old pair of jeans that holes in the knees. Rose fabric was leftover scrap. Cost me about $3 for a package of snaps and I used one.

Hard to see the inside pocket as the fabric is the same as the lining.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 08:28:20 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. -Indian saying.

True regret is not what you've done but what you have not done.
CosmicCarrot
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006 06:54:27 PM »

are we allowed to enter a project we already posted? if so, mine can be found here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=76555.0

and i'm guessing that we're only allowed to enter one, so i pick the knitting bag:

it's a very large floppy messenger bag made from old jeans, thrift store fabric, and a few odd pieces of fabric. even the buttons are from a thrift store, but i must admit that the yarn used to embroider the knitting on it was not. but i did just have it lying around, not bought for this project, so it's not counted in the price of the bag. it's lined with some scraps i had.
$2.50 jeans + $0.50 fabric + $1.00 shirt + odd fabric bits, yarn, buttons
= $4.00 bag
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 08:35:19 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
princesakati
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006 09:39:10 AM »

I hope I can post something previously posted....

It's my carter center purse!  (so called because I made it to go to an event there, otherwise it has nothing to do with the carters at all)

the handle was the most expensive part; it cost about 3$ at Hobby Lobby.  The striped fabric is from the table runners my mom and I made for my wedding rehearsal dinner, and the lining is from the tablecloths from the wedding reception.  the fabric to make these items for the wedding was initially somewhat expensive, but I figure that cannibalizing them afterwards costs 0$, right?  the ribbon I have had kicking around on my craft table for YEARS, I'm pretty sure it came out of a remnant bin because that's where most of my craft supplies come from, ha ha.  so it probably didn't cost more than 1$.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
abuelitodimetu
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006 02:07:07 PM »

This is my chinchilla bag, which was made specially for the challenge:

The chinchilla is made out of felt scraps ($0), the outer fabric is 1/2 of a forest green corduroy I got at Joann's from the remnants' bin ($1.5). The lining is a cotton print, also from J's remnants' bin (.75). The Magnetic snaps were $2. The thread was In my box, from other projects - I used white in the bobbin to make sure I had enough of the colors. The two inside pockets have a baby pink pipping made with leftover bias tape I had ($0).
Total: $4.25
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outfit Advice for Lazy Days
Mini, Midi, Maxi: How to Wear Skirts in Winter
How to Get Out of Your Winter Style Rut
How to Master Leggings in 3 Looks
How to Wear Sequins Like a Boss
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...