A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Boy or Girl???  (Read 6407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dragonfly_Ink
« on: June 28, 2004 08:45:20 AM »

In a few weeks I'll be going to my 1st baby shower. We do not know if the baby is a boy or girl. I have no ideas on what to make except for a baby book. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004 09:05:33 AM »

Do  you knit or crochet?  How about a baby hat or sweater or booties or blanket in a gender neutral shade like white, yellow, or (light) green?  Baby hats are REALLY quick and pretty easy, a good first non-rectangle knitting project.  Blankets take a lot longer but are just rectangles so are easy - or you can make them fancier with colors and lacy stuff.

A stylish diaper bag for mom? 

You could get a plain, storebought receiving blanket and applique or embroider on the baby's last name initial (since you should know at least that much!)   Also that way it can be used for future younger siblings, too, yet is still 'personalized'.

Over in the 'museum of craft' there's a thing on towel crafts that has some kind of baby bathrobe or something. 
Another classic is to make a hooded towel by sewing a washcloth onto the corner of a small towel.  (Again, you can always personalize with some embroidery).

You could stencil/embroider/embelish however some little baby tshirts or onesies ( you can buy plain white ones).  It might be cute, actually, to do a set in different sizes, so that as the baby grows he or she can still wear the same or similar designs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonfly_Ink
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004 09:41:09 AM »

Thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 11:14:07 AM »

There are some great ideas here already!
If you do the bath roob  or the "cape" with towles, it would be cute to make an emblem for the back , like a "S" (superman) but with the babys Inital.   

Polar Fleece blankets are VERY easy. They don't need to be hemmed, just blanket stiched, or fringed. For a baby I would suggesd the blanket stich.

Wash cloths & burb rags (cloth dipaers) are things that you almost never have enough of with babies. Ebroided burbrags are very cute. Take a cloth diaper & embroider each end. Moms wear there over there shoulder when they feed & burp baby.

A "boo boo bunny" is a good idea too.  http://www.craftmallusa.com/projects/booboobunny.htm   If yo make this see if you cn find a package of those plastic ice cubes that go inot the frezzer, is better to use those ( n drips) than plain ice.

Jule

THIS ROCKS   Logged
new crafter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004 08:02:37 PM »

How about picture frames? Paint and decorate with sayings like..."first bath", "first tooth", "first haircut" --or anything you can think of, you get the idea. As a mom of two boys you can take it from me you can't have enough picture frames!!
A baby book is a good idea but I actually always forgot to write things down as they happened!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004 07:25:42 AM »

It's hard to go wrong with books, and most parents really appreciate help in starting their baby's library.  Go for the classics, like Good Night Moon, The Secret Garden, Pat the Bunny and anything by A.A. Milne, Maurice Sendak, Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter.  And don't forget your own personal favorites.  If you want to get crafty, make and decorate a shelf for the books that can be hung in the nursery.

Just thought of another one: make a mobile.  You can buy a cheap mobile somewhere (with music or without, your choice), and take off the crappy stuff hanging from it.  Replace with handmade soft things, like cloth stars stuffed with batting or bunnies or bears, etc.  Tie with ribbon and make sure the parents know to hang it where the baby CAN'T reach.  Rachel Ashwell did a similar one with old wooden blocks attached with ribbon and eyehooks, which looked pretty but I'd worry about the blocks falling on the kid.  Yikes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004 07:43:30 AM by bookgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004 08:11:02 AM »

I second the book recommendation.  I like to give story/nursery rhyme treasuries.  These are usually a big hit. 

I've also given subscriptions to parenting magazines.  There are some good mags out there that cover everything from baby health issues to fun birthday party ideas.  Subscriptions aren't too expensive and they're a gift that keep on giving for a whole year!

You might also try decoupaging a child's rocking chair or toy storage box with images from children's storybooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004 08:43:40 AM »

As a magazine junkie and parent - I haven't found many parenting magazines that I like, there are a few exceptions...
 - Family Fun has got to be one of the best family magazines out there - very crafty, as in cool/crafster crafty!
 - If they are on a pagan path - The Blessed Bee is an incredible resource.
 - Mothering is wonderful for someone who is a little off the beaten path, natural childbirth, breastfeeding, kinda earthy-crunchy!
IMHO - I've found most of the other parenting magazines to be one huge advertisement from beginning to end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Mojo
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004 08:58:09 AM »

Yes-- Mothering and Family Fun are two faves.  Other decent choices:
And Baby (for GLBT parents), Sesame Street (though the baby has to grow into that one), New Moon (good for young girls), and Brain Child (they call themselves "The New Yorker for cheeky mothers").

Some of these you won't find on newsstands but they all have webpages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeckyHomecky
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004 12:32:55 PM »

I agree with all the suggestions for books. My kids have a larger library than I do! (and that's saying alot...)

I have another suggestion if you sew. One layer of flannel and one layer of quilters-type cotton sewn together makes a great baby blanket, perfect for spring and fall or throwing on the floor for baby to crawl on. I buy a yard (or even less) and make a HUGE blanket with some left over for soft blocks. It doesn't need to be quilted at all. Depending on tht fabrics I choose, I either sew them right sides together, turn right side out and topstitch, or I use some sort of binding. (I pre-wash and iron the material so I can be sure that it does all the shrinking its going to do so it's square and not puckered.)

Also, if you have scraps to get rid of, sew triangles of fleece together with several ribbon "tags" hanging out and stuff. Every baby I've made these for has loved them! The different ribbon textures on their hands and in their mouth are great for their development.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Follow Your Passion
A Mother To So Many
Evolved Family
Our Collection
Author Josh Horwitz Talks Whales LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...