A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: corporeal knitter's graph paper  (Read 3098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2006 08:26:25 PM »

I love charting out images by hand...usually complicated-looking photos...they look so neato all knitted up  Smiley

My problem is that I hate having to print out knitter's graph paper, one sheet at a time, off my computer.

I want a notebook of it...a real, tangible, bound notebook of KGP...just like the notebooks of regular graph paper.  (I'm emotionally tied to things like books...printing out a sheet from an intangible file just feels so false and impermanent.) 

Has anyone ever seen a knitter's graph paper notebook?  Is this something I can find at a LYS?  (I've only ever been into a yarn shop once...I'm kinda poor and it's just way too much temptation.)  Am I just a crazy person for preferring a notebook to my computer?

I really want a book of knitter's graph paper. Really, really...

Suggestions, anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amey
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006 09:00:50 PM »

What about taking your sheet of Knitter's graph paper to the printer to be copied and bound?  It might be worth it to call and ask about pricing.  THen you can decide if you want tear off sheets, or with a border so they can be three hole punched, or what have you.

http://www.schoolhousepress.com/tools.htm has a knitter's notebook of 30 pages - each is backed by KGP.

http://www.fourseasonsknitting.com/asp/product.asp?recorprod=1&product=8&cat=53&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006 09:27:15 PM »

I suggest making copies as well.  I generally have to resize the graph paper to fit all the squares I want, let alone adjusting it to match my gauge.  It's just not worth it buying a book of graph paper which wouldn't always be appropriate.  That said, while I've never seen books of graph paper in a yarn shop, you might try stores which carry drafting supplies and such.  There's all sorts of graph papers out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006 09:59:39 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies  Smiley

The Four Seasons' pack of paper comes with a transparent sheet with the graph on it.  It's a really good idea; I may see if a copy place will make me an overhead-type transparency of the size graph I use the most.  That would be very convenient.

I've never had to do any graph resizing...I chart images and then design around them.

I've thought about drafting supplies.  I'll have to remember to look up what's available in my area.  Hopefully there's a good supplier somewhere nearby - we're a college town so somebody somewhere has to sell that sort of thing.

Looking into getting it bound could be interesting...definitely something I'll have to do.  Of course, if I was the type of person with a lot more patience, I'd bind it myself  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djinnj
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006 10:16:25 PM »

I work up intarsia and Fair Isle charts in photoshop elements.  I only chart lace by hand, so it's easier to get pdfs of graph paper to my gauge and just resize the image directly on the paper and print it out.  Much quicker and easier than doing it by hand.  With lace, chart gauge doesn't really matter since it looks nothing like the FO anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006 10:44:26 PM »

I don't have photoshop.  Besides, I've been a sketcher/drawer/painter my whole life...I enjoy the physical act of doing my graphs by hand.

And I've yet to work out the correct way to read a lace chart.  I prefer the written instructions for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006 11:18:22 PM »

The Four Seasons' pack of paper comes with a transparent sheet with the graph on it.  It's a really good idea; I may see if a copy place will make me an overhead-type transparency of the size graph I use the most.  That would be very convenient.

If you're using an inkjet printer, you can buy transparency paper at an office supply store (If you're a poor student like so many of us, you can probably talk someone who has a presentation/public speaking assignment coming up to go in on the transparencies with you Wink).  As long as you remember to print on the correct side, they come out looking very sharp - sharp enough that you can do working magic eye pictures on them (What can I say, I always enjoyed making my classmates go cross-eyed. )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Light Photography
Curves of the Image
Adjusting the Contours of an Image
Adding Luminosity to an Image
How to use Animation Presets in After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...