A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for new Dad??  (Read 1426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 03, 2006 08:56:51 AM »

Hey There you clever Craftsters! I need help! My brother and I are very close, and he and his wife are kindly providing me with my first nephew in a few weeks! YAY!!! It's the first child in our tiny family and we are excited!! So, I am learning to sew (very much a newbie, but about to take a class) and I bought 2 yards of the cutest retro fabric called "father's day" from reprodepot. I want to make something cool for my brother for Father's day...but what?? Here's where you come in! I need ideas for what to make with my fabric find! Any suggestions for what a new Dad would need? I'd love to hear any ideas to help me celebrate my lovely brother's new role as a Dad! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
IamSusie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006 09:28:57 AM »

A really easy project is a receiving blanket. This is kind of more for the baby than dad, but daddies hold their new babies too!  These are also more generously sized than the comercially available ones. 

Get a length of flannel that coordinates with your fabric and some double fold binding (probably 2 packages).  Prewash and dry to shrink the fabric!!

Put the both kinds of fabric wrong sides together and cut the fabric into a large square, the same length as the width between selvidges.  I like to use a plate as a template to round off the corners.

Then all you do is sew on the seam binding all the way around. 

These are really useful when baby is small and you'll have some more fabric for another small project. like maybe covering a photo album, keepsake box, or making a camera case.   

Good Luck to the new family! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006 11:27:38 AM »

i don't know how much fabric that you have but you could make a snulgi for a dad! my husband loved to carry around our dd in a snugli.
hmm...i'll look for a pattern for you if you want.

congrats auntie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006 11:34:35 AM »

http://www.thebabywearer.com/lists/Sewing.htm

the link above had a few ideas on how to make a baby sling...which is what i meant by a snugli.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006 11:37:08 AM »

That's a good idea! I have 2 yards. I think they got one for the shower (I'm an out of state auntie) but is it something you'd need a couple of? I'm so excited! I have made about a million baby hats, a ton of funky iron-on onesies and I did make a blankie for the shower, as Iam susie sugggested (thanks!) with goldfish fabric and orange fleece. I am also planning to make a teddy with my face so he'll be "close" to me even though I live kind of far away. For this fabric I was thinking about making a "manly" diaper bag, but I don't have the skillz! And I think they've got a diaper bag (also from the shower). I like the book cover idea for the scraps too! I gave them a book called "Baby-gami" so a sling/snuggly thing would be appropriate. Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006 12:39:02 AM »

congrats!  being an auntie is so much fun.  anyway, I suggest making a burp cloth, which is really a rectangle or square of fabric used when burping a baby.  it would have to be washable fabric, though, babies spit up a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ndwrkr
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006 09:18:53 PM »

i have an 18 month old so I would suggest: burp cloths (a friend made us four or five, shaped like an eight and lined to stay in place-Dads use alot so they don't get drool or spit up on them!) lap pads, wall hanging for babies room?, one of those ribbon blankets with differnt textures sewn around the outside, covers for the changing pad...everyone gives you a blanket but we enjoyed the larger ones we could use later when our daughter was bigger and older.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006 06:04:16 PM »

Just a quick update...I'm an auntie! Auntie Batgirl, LOL. He was born today and I can't stop telling people, as if I'm the first auntie ever! I am making a time capsule for little Nathan Owen (best name ever, LOL) with today's paper, a letter I wrote, etc. Any more ideas? I'm so excited!!!
 Grin

Batgirl, proud auntie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
IamSusie
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006 09:14:31 PM »

New babies in the family are so much fun!  Congratulations to you all!  Another thing I always make is burp cloths.  You get a package of cloth diapers at the baby department at Target or Wal Mart or wherever.  Get the kind that are already folded.

Get flexible fabric paint (not the glossy puffy stuff).  I use those cheap foam stamps from the craft store. They sell these near the paints and there usually is a good variety available.  You are lucky because spring motifs go well with new baby themes.    I have also simply used a pencil eraser and stamped polka dots. 

Stamp away!  I usually water down the paint so it stamps easier. You'll have to brush it onto the stamp instead of dipping it.  With this technique, you can use several colors for each pressing.   I like to stamp matching onsies for the baby as well.  These turn out really cute and hold up well to washing and bleaching.   

Use some of that cute fabric to cover an empty photo box.  You can use this for that awesome time capsule idea. 

Wait! I have another idea!  People love this one too.... Get a matching bath towel and washcloth fold the washcloth so that it can be a little hood and stitch it onto the towel so you have a cute hooded towel.  Does that make sense?    They sell these for babies, but like everything, the ones you make at home are more generously sized to grow with baby. 

Lucky you! Most of my friends are done having babies and my own babies are already in school...  Just wait until you get to hold him. There is simply nothing quite as wonderful as holding a new baby.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

le_coiffeur04
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006 09:16:24 PM »

my hubby and I have a one year old and another on the way. My hubby is a MANLY MAN and really liked the motorcycle burb cloth we made him.  He also used a baby sling a little. You could cover a photo album with your fabric and put daddy and baby pictures in it.  Try a daddy boppy pillow those are really breast feeding pillows but they are great to take the stress off anyones arms. They also rock to help brother or sister hold the baby safer. When the baby gets older small lightly stuffed pillows for pillow fights are awsome. small enough for child to hold and small enough to not do major damage to living room.  Its also neat to cover a cork board with your fabric and some ribbon to criss cross and make a daddy picture board.  poopy diapers make my hubby gag but he still changes them so a bandana to wrap around nose and mouth like cowboy style is great. good luck and congrats auntie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crème Brûlée
Learn How to Make a Chocolate-Dipped Ice Cream Taco
How to Temper Chocolate in a Microwave
Learn How to Make Chocolate-Covered Tortilla Chips
How to Make Homemade Girl Scout Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...