A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: want curtains, but I rent!  (Read 2520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blisspix
« on: June 27, 2004 07:14:37 PM »

We rent and the landlords will not let us put up picture rails, hooks or curtain rods! So our apartment is really boring.

What I'd like to do is put up some curtains, but I need to be able to find a way to do it without drilling or putting up a rod. I need to be able to pull this stuff down if they inspect as well. We currently have venetian blinds on the windows (that have to stay) is there any way to work functioning curtains into that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennaPotter
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004 07:35:49 PM »

Cafe curtain rods that work like shower curtain rods. They have a spring in them and fit right inside the frame of the windows. Very easy to put in and take down. And I think if you show them to the landlord, they know its a temporary thing and you won't have to snatch them down in a "surprise" inspection.
Hope this helps (and what awful landlords you have! I hope you don't have to stay too long at that apartment!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blisspix
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004 09:07:08 PM »

Thanks, that's a great idea!

I'll be on the hunt for rods this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 01:49:50 PM »

Dumb question, are venitian blinds the ones that hang vertically or horizonatally?  I had the ones that hung veritically and cut small holes in the top of the fabric and hooked it onto the hooks that hold up the blinds.  You probably couldn't do this with heavy fabric but it works fairly well.  And I was still able to pull the blinds to the side without taking them down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superfem
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004 06:07:11 PM »

Those spring curtain rods are also called tension rods.  Just in case you're looking and can't find them! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004 04:25:50 AM »

also think about shower curtain rods....same as the tensions but wider..... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004 05:45:12 AM »

If you're not using too heavy of fabric, perhaps you could use velcro? And if you ever do decide to make some holes in the wall-the best cheapest easiest way to hide them when you're leaving?? Toothpaste (white, obviously) I got away with quite a few things with toothpaste as my friend.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004 09:01:05 AM »

Please don't use toothpaste to cover up holes. Spackle is cheap, it's about one dollar for a tube and you can press it in with your fingers, no special tools needed. Using toothpaste just leaves nasty surprises for the next tenants, who have to explain to management that they cleaned the walls and have discovered holes that they didn't note in their original 'apartment inspection' sheet. If you can afford the time and money to go out and buy the hardware to put up custom stuff, take the time and money to fix the results of your own actions.

[/morality police]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
speckledpup
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004 10:26:48 PM »

I agree with the spackling idea, it's a good way to cover holes, so I was able to put up rods and curtains, and not leave holes from the rods when I left because I used spackling to cover up the holes.  I even put wallpaper boarders around 2 apt bedrooms, because I used a vinegar rinse on the boarders to remove them, after I ran a wet sponge over the wallpaper border,and waited about 5 minutes and then rewet the wallpaper, it peeled off the wall so well, and so intact,  I was able to reuse it at my new place. Just place the boarders down about 1 and 1/2 inches from the top of the wall, so the sponge applied vinigar rinse can get in under the edges of the top of the boarder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004 01:10:28 AM »

Will the tension rods go inside the window frame if there's blinds there though? If those work, they'd be best. My mom made us a puppet theater using those, and it held up awesome yet came down and went up easily.

If those don't work, what about that command adhesive stuff? It really does come down easily, and they make a million different kinds of hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taylor Swift at Her InStyle November 2013 Cover Shoot
Interview with Zosia Mamet at Her InStyle January 2014 Cover Shoot
How to Make Your Own Cool Boot Jewelry
Casual Night Out Outfit Tips
The Vintage Vision: Shoe 2014 Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...