A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: want curtains, but I rent!  (Read 2510 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flamefeather
fnord

meow dammit!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004 10:05:26 AM »

in my dorm room, I used a cafe rod hung on 2 of the large command adhesive hooks (which I got for a bargain from a church yard sale) worked great

and yes, if you do put holes in the walls, use a bit of spackle and acrylic paint to fix it up  I do that even with the holes from pushpins coz I'm paranoid about leaving places as neat as I can
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilytate
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005 08:00:22 PM »

this is probably the least ethical response, and not exactly the most crafty -

i also rent, and am not allowed to make holes in the walls - but really wanted curtains. i also have blinds that must stay. at the top of the blinds is the weird metal thing they all pull up to, which is a liiiittle bit out from the wall - so i used tacks and tacked pretty sheer fabric behind there. this means that i have the curtains, but any holes formed by my illecit doings will be covered by the metal.

and, another plus - it looks like the top of the blinds (that i tucked the fabric behind) is a curtain rod.

when i unpack my digital camera, i'll take pictures if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-anais nin
medea
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005 02:23:22 PM »

What i did in my apt:

My blinds were attached by plastic brackets: they were hinged on one side and the other side attached to the wall. When I removed the blinds, I discovered it left to square "loops" already stuck on the wall! I threaded a dowel through the holes, then placed my tab tob curtains on top and positioned a tab so it covered the plastic bracket. I don't know if your blinds are attached the same way, but you could check and see: you don't have to make any holes, and the blinds just clip on or off the brackets.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 07:11:26 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aria
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005 08:46:11 AM »

Definately command adhesive hooks.... Thats what I did in my dorm room - I had to put an extra one above my window in the middle to support it (wrapped some craft wire around the rod and then hooked it to the hook) but thats because my dorm had freakin 6 ft wide windows! it probably would have stayed if I'd had lighter weight curtains like sheers, but I had velour curtains (to help block out light when need be) so it really needed the support in the middle.  Found the coolest rod that looked like heavy duty metal, but really was very thin metal in Big Lots - so be sure to take into consideration the weight of the rod you get if you go with the command adhesive method...

of course my favorite idea I've ever seen if you have verticle blinds, is when they bought an extra set of the actual blind pieces on Design on a Dime, and painted one side - so then they took the originals down so they'd be there to put back up when the guy moved, and put up the new ones - they looked the same on the outside so the apartment people wouldn't get mad about changing the window treatments, but were a cool silver metalic paint on the inside....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005 02:32:49 PM »

i know this is a pretty old thread, but i thought i'd just mention a few things... first, most landlords won't care if you ding up around the windows, as long as you fix it (not with toothpaste, though), and secondly, at least in the apartments i've lived in, they hate those sticky hooks more than holes, because they peel the paint off (found that out the hard way)... but they really can't take money off your deposit for "normal wear and tear" so pinholes and the like should be fine, as long as there aren't ridiculous amounts of them, because its really not fair to assume you can live in their crappy near-white apartments with nothing up on the walls.
okay. i'm bitter. i'll admit it right now.
i HATE renting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
femmeraven
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005 07:51:55 AM »

I've been living in an apartment for a few years and pretty much have the same situation, so one day I got tired of looking at the gnarly blinds, measured the windows and went to Wal Mart.

I got $1 per yard fabric and shower curtain rods.  I just sewed the fabric into panels and then sewed a channel across the top and slid them onto the pole.  I love them, they are great, and you can't even tell how horrible my sewing is because they pool at the bottom. 

However  I'll be moving out of my apartment in a month and my new place has smaller windows so I have these long curtain rods that I'll have to find something to do with.  Luckily, I can still use the curtains, just have to get new rods.   

The shower curtain rods fit just fine in front of the blinds, and they have held very well considering I used some heavy material on one of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005 10:19:29 AM »

What is "spackle"Huh

I have the same dillemma at the place I will be sharing with my fianc. I also don't think the tension rods will fit in there when the blinds are already taking up space inside the window frame.

But I thought of a solution but I just haven't inspected the situation yet. Usually blinds slide in to the brackets that are put in the window frame and then there is usually a little plastic square that you slide into place to hold the blinds in.

If you wanted to go this route you could maybe take the blinds out of their holders and store them away somewhere. Then when it's time to move you could just put the blinds back in.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005 10:22:51 AM »

What is "spackle"Huh

Spackle is a white putty that is used by drywallers. It's what creates a smooth seam when hanging dry wall. You can also use it to fill tiny holes in the wall. It's like putty wall you just goop it on, smush it in the hole, smooth it out, sand when dry and viola, wall is good as new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Bird Mask
How to Make a Batman Mask
How to Make a 1920s Lady Mask
How to Make a Dog Mask
How to Make a Cat Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...