A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: litter box buffet  (Read 998 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

francie pants
« on: March 03, 2006 04:52:55 AM »

helllllllllllllllll lp~!!!!!!  my dog is a poop addict!!!!  be it bunny or cat, she can't get enough.  she knows its a bad thing in the eyes of mommy and daddy but she can't help herself.  as soon as i'm not looking, she'll rush down to the basement and inhale as much as she can.  we've tried putting the cover on the box but it doesn't bother her.  we try to keep up a baby gate but inevitably, it gets left open as we go in and out.  does anyone here have some undiscovered trick to keeping the box accessable to the complaining cats but keeps it protected from a dog?? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coo Coo the Bird Girl
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006 06:22:02 AM »

Ew...Litter Lips. 
Could you put your litter box up on a small table that your dog girl couldn't get to, but the cats could jump up easily? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006 08:34:32 AM »

i have the same problem! my thinking is that one of those electronic litter boxes that scoop the poop may deter them, but he may start just eating the litter, not sure and not enough cash to find out. i also tried to put the litter box off the floor, but didn't want it on my dining room table so i tried some empty boxes like my sewing machine box and things like that but then the dogs just knocked it down trying to get to it, which was gross. but i did have another idea if you have money. you could put one of those doggy doors (that has the sensor on their neck and put it on kitty, or if you have big dogs just get a small enough door that doggy can't fit into) on a closest door and put the litter box inside. i'm broke and i live in an apartment so not really feasible for me. but i am bookmarking this topic because i can't take my eyes off them for one minute (not even to type this, already had one attempt!) without one of them going for the gold.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006 08:36:07 AM by poo head » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Salome

Down too far to care.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006 12:07:35 PM »

I read once that dogs eat poop because they are lacking some nutrient in their food. They eat the shit because most animals don't digest their food entirely, and little bits of yummy cat/bunny food are left in there. These bits of food not only taste good, but give your pooch the stuff their diet is otherwise missing. Try changing Fido's brand of chow- it may do the trick. Worked for my Shiner Bark.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You gotta do something besides kill drifters to get erections.
francie pants
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006 09:45:42 PM »

i heard the same thing about it adding to their nutrition.  that in the wild, eating 'scat' is a natural way for dogs and what not to get nutrients when meat is scarce.  she hasn't been eating her usual food very well the last few days so we're gonna go buy a different flavor and see if it works.  i thought about putting it up on a table... but i've got a pretty neurotic cat who will gladly crap on the concrete floor next to the box if anything is not to her liking.  so i can imagine her crapping on the table..... Angry  i'm wondering if i surrounded the litter box with tall computer boxes with a narrow passage, it might work.  libby is a fairly tall dog so i think even a table wouldn't be tall enough to block her desperate attempts to chow down.  nothing is fouler than seeing her running at you for a kiss with kitty litter dotting her nose.  not to be even grosser.... but i think she's decided to just go to the source anymore.  the cats can't get past her without her burying her nose up their butts.  i mean, literaly lifting the cats' butts up off the ground and pushing them around wheel barrow style.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006 09:58:55 PM »

i'm unsure about this changing diets for my dogs. i've tried bunch of different ones, even the really expensive stuff one time (it was on sale). i think it's more of a habit now than the need for it. maybe they have OCD that causes them to eat poo... i think they need doggie prozac!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006 10:07:02 PM »

A lot of dogs will eat out of a litter box because it is their instinct to keep their "den" clean.  Mother dogs will clean up after their puppies that way.  Dogs in cages or boxes in pet stores will eat their own.  It's built-in programming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Professional Work Look in Under 90 Seconds!
The Skinny on Slimming Down: Face Contouring
Turn Your Day Makeup Into a Nighttime Masterpiece
Look Less Tired in 90 Seconds Flat!
How to Apply Smoky Eye Makeup Like a Pro
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...