A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pullover Flair from IK Spring 2006  (Read 550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

t1g3rl1ly
« on: March 02, 2006 06:58:12 PM »

Well I've never knitted a sweater before, so I have a couple of questions.

1. Would this be a good first sweater?
I'm a bit intimidated at the thought of knitting a sweater, but in some ways, I figure I might as well just TRY it instead of whining about it - right? Wink

2. What yarn could I substitute?
I would probably end up making the Large size, which is 13 skeins of the suggested yarn (Artful Yarns Olympic, a cotton/viscose/acrylic blend) - that adds up to about $103, which I'm not willing to pay. However, since I've never knitted an actual garment before, I don't know exactly how to substitute the yarn. I know that it knits up at 4.75 sts/1 in, so it should be a worsted weight yarn. But unless I can find another yarn with those exact fibers in it, how would I know what other types of yarn would work?  Plain cotton?  Acrylic?

Thanks so much for any input! I really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

awgoodkitty

Beware, Pawlette. Kitten of Evil. Yarn stealer.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006 10:48:05 PM »

It looks like a pretty simple pattern.  I know what you mean about the prices of yarn.  I would suggest that you use a yarn that has a similar gauge and fiber. I've made things out of 100% cotton and they stretched badly after washing.

Elann has the best prices and you can do a search by fiber and gauge here:  http://secure.elann.com/YarnSearchOnlyYarn.asp

Knitpicks is also really, really good with quality and price.   http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420126/yarn_display.aspx

Smiley's  has good prices as well:  http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006 12:04:11 AM »

Hi, congrats on wanting to knit your first sweater!

I am always subbing yarns, due to a v. tight yarn budget. This yarn seems to be right on a few counts:

The right gauge, drape, type of yarn,  and similar content (viscose) but much cheaper:

Katia Fanny

Hope that helps, I am still looking around!

Emms  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006 12:24:24 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, girls, I think I'll be able to find something! Smiley

Emms, you mentioned the "drape" of the garment - I'm glad you did, because that's primarily the thing I was most worried about when substituting the yarn. How did you know that a silk/rayon blend could be sub'd for a cotton/acrylic/visoce blend? Could you recommend a website or book that discusses this topic? Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006 12:58:26 PM »

Hi t1g3rl1ly,

when I read your last post, I had to think for a minute because I was trying to figure out where I had learned about drape etc, an I realize its just that I am really good at retaining information about yarn and anything I hear about it. My knitting group calls me the yarn encyclopaedia!

I also have a bit of a trick I do:

If I know a fiber well, from using it in various yarns, i can kinda imagine how it will work.

If I don't, for example, I was thinking of using a bamboo yarn for something recently and I had no idea what it was like, so I googled it to no end, and found other knitting blogs where people had used it for something and described what they liked and disliked, how it felt, etc...

Also there is Knitters Review, which is a great resource, and she knits up a test swatch and washes it and everything. She has done alot of the more popular yarns.

Hope that helps, and if you need more help choosing a yarn or knitting your first sweater, you can ask me whenever!

Happy knitting!

Emms Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write the Perfect Holiday Movie
Life, Love, Soul with Yandy Smith!
Five Things The Social Network Got Wrong
Doug Jaeger on How to Create Collaborative Film Project Teams
Behind the Scenes of Montana Fare
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...