A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ferragamo Knit Bag-along?  (Read 156984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knicoleg
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006 08:40:14 AM »

Does anyone else think that it would be fruitful if this were an open discussion about the stitch work here?  i mean, i've looked and looked at it, but I have no idea where to start on the swatching.  Maybe if we could all group-input, we could piece this thing together instead of just waiting for the pattern to be plopped into our anxious hands.

Anyone in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennyBear
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006 09:41:51 AM »

I bought the pattern from stitch cafe (great LYS) so I don't feel right posting the pattern but i can post a close up of the stitch if you think that'll help. I'm afraid I don't know the name of the stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes ninjas hide in here.
Annhb
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006 10:05:57 AM »

Count me in! I'm thinking about the handles - here in Berkeley and online there is Lacis: http://lacis.com/catalog/data/ls58.html - but I'm really attracted to the wicker at the top of the original bag. I'm wondering what I could do to add another texture to the top - something besides bamboo or leather handles - I was thinking about metal - like those handles for egg gathering baskets made by wrapping wire around a broom handle. I also have some linen from Habu Textiles that looks like twigs but actually knits up easily - maybe that's the way to go to give it a basket-y woven look to contrast with the well behaved counterpane in smooth cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marjanhammink
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006 10:09:45 AM »

Count me in
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006 10:21:48 AM »

I've got a long plane ride coming up. I was going to crochet, but maybe I'll try to figure this out instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hitbyabus

knit your own damn sweater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006 12:06:12 PM »

that's the whole idea! open source pattern decoding : )

i don't know how to post pics on craftster, but i'll post a c/u of the stitch on my blog.

started trying to chart the pattern, but it's trickier than it looks. there are basically two triangles--one appears to be garter st and the other, some sort of ST st with an eyelet. marjan, didn't you say they eyelet is formed by a M1?

there's quite a detailed thread on flickr discussing the stitch...check it out for more ideas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hitbyabus/106745499/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knicoleg
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006 07:04:39 PM »

Ok, so here's a query:

do y'all think it's knit top down in one piece or bottom up in two pieces?  From my understanding of those long gathered stitches, it looks like it has to be knit bottom up, but from what i've read elsewhere it seems that people or going with top down.  I've never done a counterpane before, but I think i'm starting to get some ideas here if anybody has input on where to start  Tongue

what i've figured out so far: so i believe that those triangles are all poofy because the garter stitch triangle decreases so rapidly with those gathered stitches.  so start with 20 stitches at the bottom of the triangle steadily decreasing and then knitting those elongated stitches together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006 07:25:47 PM »

Bottom up.  My daughter was sick today, so I was home all afternoon and I think I have it all worked out, but I'm going to wait to write it up until I'm sure my latest modifications are working out properly.  I couldn't find it in my NEWer Mon Tricot stitch dictionary (1980's), which is the one I looked in at first, but in my OLD (1960's) Mon Tricot (yeah, I have two... shut up!) there's a stitch called Cockle Shell.  The garter stitch triangle is exactly like the shell part of the cockle shell in the pattern, which, when I read it, held up the way I'd been working that part of the pattern, but I just want to tweak the eyelet increases in the other triangle.  In the original cockle shells patter, the space between the shells is taken up by a basic loose eyelet.  This will be somewhat different, obviously, but I think I have it.  I knitted up a swatch this afternoon that was almost exactly right, but it was my first swatch and I was sortof winging it, so now that I've done it not quite right once, I know exactly what I need to do to fix what I did wrong the first time, and soon, oh so soon, it will be done.  And this thing works up FAST!!  I'm using Aunt Lydias "denim" which is a cotton/acrylic blend, because that's what I had.  I think mine will be smaller than the original version because this is basically a light worsted, but worked in a slightly bulkier yarn the number of stitches i'm using will be perfect!

I have no idea how to tackle the wicker bit.  Thats a toughy.  But I might pick up some purse handles tomorrow during craft-shopping, and I also might take a look at the thrift shops this weekend to see if there's a wicker purse I can alter.

Or... and I just thought of this... What about doing a basket-weave look in raffia for the top?  It wouldn't be woven wicker, but it might look just as cool, and it'd be knitted, so no need to learn a whole other craft just to finish the purse!  I have some raffia lying around... Actually, I have natural raffia in four different colors lying around... Yeah, I think I'll try that.

Boy, I'm rambling.  It just makes me feel so good thing be able to figure these things out!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
hitbyabus

knit your own damn sweater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006 08:02:19 PM »

i am totally with you on the bottom up approach. i did make that counterpane scallop bag from handknit holidays--it's bottom up-- and i think this stitch is in the same family.

i think you're onto something lothruin with the cockleshell. here's a bit from barbara abbey's "knitting lace" in reference to a cockleshell edge: "A cockleshell edge is produced by gathering stitches..." gathering a number of stitches over 1 onto the right-hand needle...so, say it is a 5-st gathering...you would K 2 tog, K5, pull 5 over 1 (onto the right-hand needle), etc.." (btw, in the counterpane scallop bag, the gathering was done with a wrap stitch; i do not think this is the case here.)

p.s. does anyone have any of the barbara walker stitch treasuries? i don't, but seems like there might be some clues in there...

p.p.s. here's a charted triangle that might help:
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.cfm?StitchID=124&name=Triangular&numofst=7&stplus=0&rows=6&rplus=0&sym=2
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006 08:14:29 PM by hitbyabus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006 09:15:52 PM »

Yeah, the cockleshell in this pattern was basically 8 rows of garter stitch and then you do a row of the yo and then drop on the next row, so you get a row of stitches that's twice as long... you know what I mean... and then you knit ALL 15 STITCHES into one stitch!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Auto Levels to an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply Eye Shadow and Eyeliner in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply Lipstick in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Fill Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Paint Bucket Tool in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...