A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ferragamo Knit Bag-along?  (Read 148524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knicoleg
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006 08:09:26 AM »

I'm in on this one for sure.  I bought some royal alpaca (only one skein, so expensive!!!) and this would be just perfect for it.

does anyone have thoughts on how to do the handles?

REVELATION!  It looks like the stockinette (RS) triangles have two rows of eyelets (YOs) that allow those triangles to be *much* rounder which creates the lumpy effect!!!!!!  maybe?  it sounds plausible.  the reverse st st ones don't have holes that i can see, or are those garter stitch?  i think i will scour the town today in search of a live one of these to look at.  if i can find one, i'll take close up shots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
valknits
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006 11:02:24 AM »

I love those bags, too....The woman who owns the yarn store I frequent has figured out the pattern and the bag is awesome. She sells it in a kit, which includes the yarn and handle for, I think $75.00. I think they have it posted on their website if you want to check it out.....www.stitchc afe.com.
(off-topic)Hey that's my LYS too! Love that place, glad she decided to keep it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference." -Bess Myerson, Miss America 1945
hitbyabus

knit your own damn sweater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006 11:32:15 AM »

It looks like the stockinette (RS) triangles have two rows of eyelets (YOs) that allow those triangles to be *much* rounder which creates the lumpy effect!!!!!!  maybe?  it sounds plausible.  the reverse st st ones don't have holes that i can see, or are those garter stitch? 

knicoleg: i am totally with ya on the YOs on the ST st scallops. if it weren't for those garter st scallops, i'd say it was some kind of feather-and-fan stitch. it's those garter scallops that's throwing me. one of my friends on flickr thinks the stitches at the top are gathered like this:

"I think I have figured out the 'gathering of stitches at the top'. Theoretically, I think you'd leave the 5 or so stitches on your needle, no knitting, strand or weave the yarn in the back, and then when you have to gather (after 5 or 6 rows), at that moment knit the stiches. So you get an elongated, vertical stitch."

i have not had time to try this yet, but it sounds plausible to me.

more thoughts here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hitbyabus/106745499/

one idea for the top is to purchase a vintage wicker & cloth handbag and make the top out of that. another option is bamboo handles as in the stitchcafe kit.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006 01:28:48 PM by hitbyabus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewLeodensian
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006 12:46:26 PM »

Hi,

I just came across this thread and the pattern looks a bit like the one used in the counterpane carpet bag that is in "Handknit Holidays" by Melanie Falick.  Someone on craftster has made it, and you can sort of see the stitch pattern here.

I don't know if this helps any!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
hitbyabus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006 01:26:01 PM »

thanks newleo. i made that bag too.
here is a pic of mine:
http://knitlit.blogspot.com/2005/11/in-bag.html#comments

i suppose you could do a version of the bag using the counterpane scallop pattern from the falick bag. but i am pretty obsessed with figuring out that stitch on the ferragamo bag...it's definitely different.

stay tuned...i think we might be getting close...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VivaPia
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006 08:37:04 AM »

Hi, I love the Ferragame bag, just as you do, so I'm in on this knit-along! I'm probably the least experienced knitter here, but I intend to give my best to contribute with something.

So far i haven't even fugured out what yarn I will use, but I guess I can start making swatches with any yarn, just to figure out how to do it, right?

/VivaPia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hitbyabus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006 08:52:34 AM »

welcome pia! i'm swatching with this:
http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/product_page_detail.php?category_id=1&item_id=22

i haven't gotten my hands on the actual bag (i've been told it's not currently available in stores in the U.S. you can order it online, but i guess they're only displaying it in stores overseas), but after talking to a paris knitter who got to see it live, it seems like it requires a fiber that is strong and soft, but with a stiff hand. this classic elite "provence" feels like the right texture and weight to me. i also love that it comes in so many different colors. i'm using the color called "natural." but "summer wheat" is warmer and seems quite similar to the actual ferragamo bag.

other yarns to try: jute (though may be too scratchy) or a raffia-type yarn (i haven't been able to locate anything like this, but maybe someone else will.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spiralcrystalz
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006 01:00:05 AM »

it's pretty! i can't wait for a pattern.. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterlite
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006 08:57:05 PM »

Hey, Could you people who's LYS is the Stitch Cafe, ask them what that stitch is? the one with all the straight yarn? I'll ask at my LYS if I can get a free minute when It's open ( I work 6 days), I think I've seen it)or something similar) in a stitch book somewhere, but I can't for the life of me recall which book ( and I just look at the pics) , I skim all the books,have a mild case of photo memory (visuals like pics only, not the text)  but I've had my nose in so many , that i don't remember which...( I look at all the one's in the yarn shop, library and at B&N but I don't own any stitch books for refrence.)
I also knit the counterpane bag from handknit holidays, seems similar in some respects?

this one has a creative pattern...I'm diggin this challenge! I was thinking that a linen yarn would be strong and a bit stiff? But I also love the classic elite yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hitbyabus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006 03:55:27 AM »

hey butter, glad you're into the challenge. i am, too. hey, that's half the fun. i think we might be getting close to figuring it out. i had to put my swatches on hold to finish a baby gift. but that's done now and i'll be focusing my energy on ferragamo! hope to post some progress soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Gluten-Free Pistachio and Poppy Seed Financiers
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Sandwich Cookies
How to Make an Adorable Watermelon Grill for Your BBQ Centerpiece
How to Make a French Chocolate Mousse
How to Make Red Velvet Cupcakes With Festive Sprinkles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...