A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorials: bellydance costume pieces  (Read 2804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruis2002
« on: March 02, 2006 01:23:05 PM »

Printable choli pattern, and tutorials for skirt and coin bra here:

http://www.annabella.net/costume.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kasihime
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006 04:27:27 PM »

OOOH!!! Isn't annabella GREAT?!?!?!?!  I'm going to try my hand at making her cowrie falls... I really hate the idea of paying $50-$60 per set of cowrie falls when I can probably make them myself for half the price and more love...  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006 04:32:49 PM »

Wow thanks! I'm just starting to bellydance, this will be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
kasihime
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006 11:14:20 PM »

Wow thanks! I'm just starting to bellydance, this will be perfect!

That's great! You should check out www.shira.net as well then. There is a plethora of information. And also sign up for www.tribe.net! there is a huge bellydance community on tribe. it's also a great place to find information!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006 11:56:33 AM »

Thanks so much for the guidance! I'm checking out those links now Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
ruis2002
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006 10:23:59 AM »

I finally finished my soda can pop-tab belt! It shimmys great, but you have to be careful to make sure the jump rings are on securely, or you will loose poptabs as you dance:

SUPPLIES:

10 mm jump rings (I bought mine at Hancock Fabrics; they are softer and easier to work with than the 9 mm, so using 10 mm saves time and effort; I started using them with pliers to open and close them, but found it was faster to just do it with my fingers, as the metal on the 10 mm jump rings is just soft enough for that, and it went along much faster, although my fingertips were a bit sore after!!)

small pliers (if you want to use them for this project, although I found them cumbersome and they slowed me down too much...)

large bag of silvertone soda can tabs

lots of small (1 or 1.5 inch) safety pins

basic bellydancer belt base pattern (see Shira's web site, or Omphalo Stepses web sites for pictures and instructions how to draw and cut out your own belt base pattern)

black velvet fabric and interfacing for the belt (cut each to size of your belt base pattern)

Black thread and needle

Large hooks and eyes (like the kind used on coats or jeans; if you have an old coat or pair of jeans you can raid for hardware, do that; I didn't so I just bought mine at Hancocks) (I put 2 of these on my belt, to make it more adjustable, depending on thickness of skirt waistband you wear the belt over)

small silvertone bead trim (I used a double strand, to cover the seams on both the top and bottom edge of the belt)

optional: clear-drying fabric glue

INSTRUCTIONS:

Sew your black velvet beltbase according to instructions on one of the other bellydance costuming sites. The interfacing will reinforce your fabric; it won't be as stiff as buckram probably, but ours held up very well, and you don't want the base too thick or you won't be able to get your safety pins through it when you attach the chains...)

Using jump rings to join the soda tabs together, make:

2 chains of 14 links (soda tabs) each
8 chains of 13 links each
8 chains of 12 links
8 chains of 11 links
8 chains of 10 links
8 chains of 9 links
8 chains of 8 links
4 chains of 7 links

After assembling all your chains, attach them to the belt in the following sequence, on both front and back. You can space them evenly so you have chains all the way around the belt, or center them tightly together, so you have open space on the sides of each hip (so you can tuck a veil or fabric poofs or whatever you might want to add).

center: one 14 link chain
on each side of the 14 link chain, 2 13 link chains
next to each 13 link chain, 2 12 link chains

etc etc

until you get to the 7 link chains, and there are only 4 of those, so just one on each end of the front side of your belt, and one on each end of the back side of your belt.

Sew down the double strand of small silvery bead trim to the top and bottom of the belt, covering the seams (it will leave a bit of velvet showing above and below your trim but we decided that looked nicer than having the trim right on the edge of the fabric anyway). If you prefer not to handsew (and I don't blame you, I sewed mine by hand and it took 2 to 3 hours to do), some of the dancers in my troupe used fabric glue instead, and it looked just fine that way. Be sure to use the kind of fabric glue that DRIES CLEAR, so you don't have icky white glue showing.

Our whole dance troupe made these for our summer show, wearing them over slim black skirts, and when paired with a black dance bra or choli top  they look GREAT!!  Very fun to wear for your drum solo, as they shimmy and shake a lot.

I would post a pic if I had a scanner (Sorry!) Hopefully someone will be inspired to make one of these and share their pictures. They were pretty easy to make, just very time-consuming to put all the chains together, and a little expensive unless you can get a good deal on 10 mm jump rings somewhere...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SLBamy
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006 09:19:52 AM »

Ooh!! I've been looking for a belly dance costume pattern for ages!  Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006 09:45:45 PM »

all the sites you mentioned are great, but this lady is also a fave-

http://costumegoddess.com/cgseries.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006 09:28:47 PM »

this might be an old thread, but I just found it and have to say that annabella website is just ducky! I've made several choli tops in different sizes, and its just a wonderful pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
connect_deeply
Raaawr!

i luv guin pigs!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006 09:52:59 AM »

if a friend has a picture phone they can email you a picture of it !!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whats green and rides through the west?!

THE LONE PICKLE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 2/4
How to Make a Particle Explosion Part 2/2 - Houdini Particles
How to Create Cloth Simulation - Houdini
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 3/4
How to Create an Earth Scene Part 1/2 - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...