A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fun painted poster project  (Read 4697 times)
Tags for this thread: poster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kayray
« on: June 27, 2004 04:12:27 PM »

Today I decided to try to make a nice colorful poster to hang in my boring bathroom. Here's the result:

(I made a small one as a test, then a larger one)

Here's the original image:

A drawing out of "The Saturdays" by Elizabeth Enright.

Here's what I did:

I scanned the original drawing at 2400 dpi -- the highest dpi my scanner would do.  This was not necessary -- the resulting image file was so huge that my computer had trouble handling it.  I eventually scaled it down in photoshop to 600 pixels/inch (in the "image size" window), so do yourself and your computer a favor, if you try this, and scan at a reasonable dpi Smiley

Then, in photoshop, I resized the image to 18" x 27",  and set the image mode to "duotone", and then did image > adjustments > posterize (levels either 2 or 4, can't remember) to make it true black lines on a white background. Fiddle around 'til it looks good Smiley

Then, to print it, I had to do something kind of lame and I'll bet a PS guru out there can tell me a better way to go about it but I did this:

Select a section of the image -- since mine was 18 x 27 I chose to do sections of about 6 x 9, and print on 9 separate pieces of paper.  So select the upper left corner (for instance), copy the selection, do "new document", paste the selection into the new document, and then print the new document.  Then close the new document (no neeed to save it) and repeat for the next section. Make sure your selections overlap each other a bit, so you can align the sections later for gluing.  When I was about halfway through, I thought of using ruler guides to mark out my areas for selection -- to do this make photoshop show you the rulers, then click and drag from the ruler into your image to make nice guidelines.

So then eventually I had nine pieces of paper, each with a different chunk of my poster on it.  Then I layed them all out and decided which pieces would overlap which other pieces --- sounds confusing but just try it and you'll see what I mean.  Then I trimmed the edges of the topmost overlapping pieces and used a glue stick (ooo high tech) to glue the whole puzzley thing together.

Whew, a big black-and-white poster!

But I wanted colorful, so I got out my watercolors and painted the whole thing as if it were a giant coloring book.  I don't know when I've had so much fun!

Enjoy,

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
CyndiCat

Sunshine the wonder puppy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004 05:02:13 AM »

That is really cute!  I love retro pictures like that one.  What kind of paper did you print it on?  Did you have a problem with the watercolor buckling the paper?  It looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004 10:08:13 AM »

Thanks!  I printed on whatever paper was in the printer, nothing fancy.  Yes the watercolors buckle the paper a little bit but I kind of like that look.  When you're close up to it, you can see the lines where the sheets of paper are glued together, and areas where the glue stick oozed out and repelled the paint a little bit. It's certainly not "suitable for framing" but was FREE and adds a nice splash of color to my wall Smiley

There are so many kids' books with fabulous line drawings... I'm thinking of trying something from "Charlotte's Web" or the Little House books next!

oxoxo
Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004 10:26:26 AM »

woah. why have i never posterized a line drawing? colouring book activity? that sounds so fun and looks so good!

my large-scale printing strategy is only slightly less labour-intensive than yours. i just use the print dialog to align the image differently on the page (say, printing the left top corner, then the middle, then the top right, etc.). you can set the top and left edges to specific negative dimensions and be pretty precise about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
kayray
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004 10:35:53 AM »

ookpik -- yeah I tried that method of printing first. I think it's the Print with Preview dialogue or some such, and I've used it before on smaller large images (heh)... but this darn image was so big my computer choked on dealing with the entire thing in that way.  I probably STILL have more px/inch than necessary, though.  Hard to judge.

It is fun, tremendously fun and satisfying!  Can't wait to see  some other posters up here Smiley

Have fun!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsypansy
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004 11:03:01 AM »

ohh! that is so cool!! i love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004 02:49:16 PM »

and for larger scale projects there's this:
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/
i covered a wall in my living room with a cityscape and it turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftybelle
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004 05:35:29 PM »

That's such a cool idea! A friend of mine did a scene out of Beatrix Potter for her floral shop at Easter. It turned out really good. You did a great job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will-
for life is short but sweet for certain.
DMB
kayray
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004 02:05:56 PM »

quarkiegirl -- the rasterbator link is awesome!!  Thanks!

Hey, I made another poster from my fabulous book "The Mode in Costume".  The photo is kind of dark, but it looks really pretty in real life:

Fun fun fun!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacklustre
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004 03:32:53 PM »

Oooh, I LOVE that second one!  I'm going to have to try something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Review of the Nikon D300 - Part 1
How to Know whether the Nikon D90 and D300 is Right for You
How to Take Pictures of Lightning with a D-SLR
How to Know Whether The Nikon D700 or D300 is Right for You
How to Clean the Sensor of a Digital SLR
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...