A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jazz/Blues etc CD Swap (gallery)  (Read 2513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006 02:56:35 PM »

hurrah!!!  I'm so glad you like it!!  When I first became obsessed with jazz and blues, I picked up as many cds as I could (afford...) and found some really amazing artists that I never would have heard of.  I'm just glad I could share them with you, Spiderdust and GreatBallofFire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006 09:58:22 PM »

Okay, so I am planning on adding more Jazz/Blues to my collection (yes, even after this swap!!)  Who are some of the really good artists?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spiderdust
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006 10:24:24 PM »

Ok, my favorite by far is Nina Simone.  She's really a stylistic vocalist who covered many genres, but I think she fits into "Jazz" nicely, as well as Jazz sub-genres and Blues.  She has a huge collection of recordings and has influenced many of today's artists.  You can't go wrong with her.  Enough gushing... Grin

Also in jazz, I really like Duke Ellington, anything from the kind of speakeasy-sounding 20's & 30's to his later stuff, Miles Davis, Count Basie, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday & Ella Fitzgerald.  You can never go wrong with Louis Armstrong either.

As for Blues, my fav. is Taj Mahal.  Most of his stuff has a earthy, bluesy vibe to it, but he can get really funky.  He also covers many genres, from reggae to folk.

Other then Taj, I like really early blues, the kind of sitting on your front porch pickin' style. Mississippi John Hurt, Leadbelly & Bukka White come to mind. 

Alright, that's my two cents.  Have a lot of fun discovering new stuff!   Smiley

P.S. bubba*tink- I love your cd so much, I just had to tell you again.  I've been listening to it loads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006 10:18:07 PM »

As well as a second round of this swap, which I hope to hold in early June (after exams, why is everything planned around school?!?!), I'd like to organise a similar swap called Jazzy Jazz, Bluesy Blues, which works around this concept:

In the old days when blues was fresh and jazz outrageous, they sang at bars like folk songs. There were no big deals about copyright and covers. They sang popular stuff that everyone knew, interpreting it as they wished. A jazzy CD which must have two interpretations of one song - what do you guys think?

I need to resend to twowished - parcel got lost in the post grrr - and Ianna I'll sort out your angel feedback when I'm back from holidays. (I'm in Vancouver!)

OTHERWISE, THANK YOU EVERYBODY! THIS SWAP HAS BEEN SO FUN, AND IT'S BEEN SO AMAZING BEING PUT INTO CONTACT WITH ALL YOU LADIES OF FABULOUS MUSICAL TASTE!!!

Thank you for being great participants & angel!

Love,Anushka xxxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sashimi Vs. Sushi
How to Eat Sushi
Which Cucumbers to Use with Sushi
Sushi Party Rolls
Sushi and Seasonal Veggies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...