A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mature topic-ladies eco-flow busters*** MORE PICS ADDED!***  (Read 142992 times)
Tags for this thread: tampon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2007 11:22:54 AM »

Ya, the whole removable center thing is something I have been working on. I think I mentioned the 'umbrella' or draw string idea some pages back. I do think this would ease minds if nothing else. I strongly encourage everyone to decide for themselves which menstrual products are best for them. I think that too many gals are influenced rather than educated.
* see note below if you are in a hurry Wink

One thing to know, and you can get more info anywhere on line... is that Staph Aureus (the bacteria that causes Toxic shock syndrome) is EVERYWHERE... the thing to know is that if you change out your tampon or other internal menstrual product regularly (I encourage people using the eco-flow busters to change every 2 hours or so), you will greatly reduce the likeliness of getting toxic shock. The bacteria are introduced usually through contaminated hands. WASH YOUR HANDS before you touch yourself! Of course your partners don't do this, and why don't you get toxic shock you ask? Well, that's because you have a natural flushing system set up by God... your period flushes you out as well as your natural discharge... when you wear a tampon for too long the staph can't get flushed and have a chance to 'cook' and multiply in there, causing toxic shock....

*** if you don't want to read my rant above^ google: toxic shock syndrome, Staph Aureus, natural sponge tampons, and menstruation. You will be amazed at all the info out there!

Happy periods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2007 11:27:13 AM »

antichristy: I really like your design. I think it is far more practical adn cleaner then using the wadded up stuff. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamacheryleileen
« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2007 06:29:16 PM »

Well, this thread was enough to bust me out of craftster lurking.  Those are so cool!
I'm pregnant, so hopefully it will be a loooooooooong time before I can try one out, but I am going to go and sew one up now.  I'm thinking...red velour?  hehehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likeiceiscold
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2007 08:05:32 PM »

Totally interesting topic ladies!  I've tried the Diva Cup and found it uncomfortable and leaky.  I have a really heavy flow so I'm not sure how these would work for me either.  I hate hate hate using commercial super tampons.  Anyone with a heavy flow tried them?

I haven't read the whole thread yet (got to page 9 or so) but I just wanted to comment on UV sterilization.  Someone mentioned setting them in their window to catch some UV rays....ordinary window glass blocks close to 40% of UVA rays and most of UVB rays (the two spectrums that make up UV light).  If you're hoping to to use the sun, set them directly outside or go to a pet store and buy a UV bulb in the reptile section.  Weird knowledge from a biologist...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007 05:59:33 AM by likeiceiscold » THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2007 09:05:34 AM »

Ice~
The cool thing about making your own tampons, is that you can customize them to work for you! If you need them a little longer and more stuffing, then you can do that! I suggest making some that open at the end, so you can remove the stuffing for easier cleaning, and also so you can add more. I have taken the cotton stuffing (cloth diaper strips) and washed them well, then let them sit out the rest of this period, so I only use one stuffing once per period. That way I feel like there is a very small chance anything can survive a washer and hot dryer (and maybe some sun if it's out!) and a whole month of waiting to be used again!
Let us know if you find a solution to the heavy flow dilemma!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

yep
krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2007 09:09:11 AM »

Not yet!
Though I guess I could give it a 'dry run'  Wink for sizing and insertion testing.
I agree, it seems like a great design...but my question is, is the string a bit largish?  I was just thinking that since it's yarn it could be itchy or something...let us know if you do a test run!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2007 10:24:26 AM »

Not yet!
Though I guess I could give it a 'dry run'  Wink for sizing and insertion testing.
I agree, it seems like a great design...but my question is, is the string a bit largish?  I was just thinking that since it's yarn it could be itchy or something...let us know if you do a test run!
Think about what the little string is made out of in a commercial tampon. It is acrylic (plastic) and cotton... I think sometimes we blindly trust what commercial producers are offering because they are commercial producers.... like somehow we thing they couldn't put out a product that could hurt people because lots of people would get hurt and we would hear about it and they would get sued and we would hear about that! Not so true, the big companies have big lawyers and even bigger political ties and buy potential lawsuits off, and if that doesn't work they buy off the media to not publicize an incident! /rant! Sorry Embarrassed

I used 100% cotton yarn for mine, and you really can't feel a thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
Harsamina86

Kent State: famous for May 4th AND black squirrels

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2007 01:52:16 PM »

i don't know if this has been mentioned yet...but i seem to remember reading somewhere in a discussion years ago somewhere else in the vastness of the internet that if you boil sea sponges (for use as tampons) with something called colloidal silver, they would pretty be sterile.

maybe boiling the crochet tampons with some of that would solve the TSS problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2007 03:28:13 PM »

Interesting.  It would be worth a try sometime.  Granted lucky me hardly ever had a period *ducks so no one will try to kill me* But when I do I never know when it will be and it hurts like hell :p  a few of those would be good to have around just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
FredPie
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2007 07:49:38 PM »

I love my cloth pads and have used Instead cups when I needed more 'discreet' protection, but this does sound good.  However, I'm pretty low-flow.  I was using Junior tampons and unless it was a really heavy day, I had to wait several hours to be able to remove it.  This convinced me I'm not a tampon girl.  Anybody with a really light flow tried these yet?  I suppose I could make it as dang small as I want it, so it would do its job but not dry me out!  (I have a friend who call the Super tampons "mmh, I'm thirsty" Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap, but must admit I'm a little flakey!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Fashion For Mardi Gras Balls
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Prove the Power of Neutrals
Carbon Copy: Get The Military Jacket With Leather Sleeve For Less
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...