A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
297 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mature topic-ladies eco-flow busters*** MORE PICS ADDED!***  (Read 143261 times)
Tags for this thread: tampon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2006 07:53:21 PM »

I continue to use them as needed. I have said before that I am a pad girl mainly, but in the summer I do a lot of water sports, so I have been using them... I can't wait to see if anyone else has been experimenting! I have found that there are a lot of helpful people in the healthfood stores that are willing to help you figure out how to get these things really clean and safe. I have been reading about this stuff called liquid silver, what amazing stuff! It really is sterling silver, and you can take it internally and use it to sanitize/steralize things... anyway, I encourage you to check things out!
Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008 06:46:31 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
andysipod
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2006 01:01:01 AM »

That's a good idea, but I'd be afraid of toxic shock syndrome or stuff like that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2006 02:02:31 PM »

TSS is due to leaving them too long. 4 hours is the limit but (TMI HERE)

I pour so much that it's more like 2 hours before I have to change .

Changing often will solve the issue...

edit: poo, spoiler tags don't work in this forum...LOL it WOULD help in topics like this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
princessblueberry
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2006 09:26:56 PM »

That's a good idea, but I'd be afraid of toxic shock syndrome or stuff like that...

I use them to avoid TSS. . .it is nice to be able to count and make sure all tamopns are acounted for at the end of the cycle. . .helps make sure you don't have a case of 'lost tampon'  which can be verry frightening!  That and you can make the strings longer  Cool

I'd had my physical a week after my cycle and asked the Dr. about the unusuial odor Roll Eyes even the she 'didn't see anything wrong', just told my to eat yougut, I did not find out till my next cycle what was going on. . . Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
binarygrrl
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2006 02:20:22 AM »

TMI?  Huh   Please, I must know.  Too Much Information?? 

This has been an interesting thread.  You all have convinced me to give the Diva Cup a try!  Thanks for telling me about it.  I hope it's the answer to all my menstruation woes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexisnice
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2006 08:15:56 AM »

It's a nice idea, but you're going to have to be really careful to sanitize them and keep them sanitized until you use them. It's one thing to have reusable pads, which don't go up INSIDE you, but if you're sticking anything up there it needs to be clean clean clean or you risk nasty infections and stuff. I haven't seen much in the way of reusable tampons on the market and that might be part of why, I don't know. Just, you know, be careful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexisnice
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2006 08:19:02 AM »

Hey, I had a freind who worked in a lab. They used a UV light to sterilize delicate items that couldn't stand the heat of an autoclave. I have put my kids toys out in the sun, same levels of UV rays as were in the lab as she explained to me. I am sure everyone has had a favorite item of clothes sit in the sun (in your car, or that cool tapestry hanging in the window) and seen what the sun does! I have left clothes on the clothes line for two days and seen the sun dammage... anyway, UV rays are another way to kill bacteria, and I am pretty darn sure that if you change out your tampons (which you  might be more likely to do if you weren't paying for them and putting the waste into the environment) you wouldn't really increase the risk of infections like TSS. Also, Tee tree oil (although VERY irritating) is a naturaly antibacterial, and I would aslo suggest that there are many alternative ways to sterilize ar at least 'antibacterialize' these guys... but needless to say, I am asking that question FIRST! I am going to try some with cotton floss too, so the 'bumps' aren't so bumpy, although I don't really imagine that they will be a problem...

Hope someone knits some, I'd love to see them!

Anyone know a retailer for the organic cotton yarns?

UV light is not going to kill anything living deep inside the tampon, though. Perhaps you could make them so the stuffing can come out? (Especially if it's rolled up fabric) and get cleaned/dried more thoroughly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2006 09:09:27 AM »

Ya, I have been considering that. What happens with the cotton yarn is that is shrinks at a different rate than the fabric, so when I wash them seperately, the two sometimes don't fit back together! The outer crocheted tampon shrinks  quite a bit with no stuffing in it... I have been using mine once each during my cycle, then giving them a good rinse and boil on the stove... then we have been having such HOT weather here in Washington (well hot for us!) that I have out them out on a towel in the sun (rotating them once) so they would dry. Then I put them away, in my panty drawer not in the bathroom, until next cycle. I think in the winter I will dry them in the dryer, but I think this is a good way of ensuring that nothing has 'incubated'... seems like a month there wouldn't be much for any little critter to sustain themselves on if the things have been boiled and UV dried...

If you do a search on the sea sponge tampon... there is a TON of good information on re-using material internally. They have done their homework in order to offer commercially, a re-usable menstrual products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2006 03:30:30 PM »

aa ive been following this thread forever, and iwanted to say thanks because i barely even realized how much i threw out! Reusable products like the cloth pads or the"diva cup" you guys rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Selana
The Selana

Yarg!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2006 03:52:50 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked before....I'm currently still wading through (up to page 11 though!). Has anyone tried making these with those little tube knitters, like suggested earlier on?

I'm not up to knitting in the round yet, and my crochet is...well...dusty to say the least, but those mini-knitting looms aren't too expensive to try...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
James Franco and Michael Cunningham Talk About Youth
Meet Author Jeffery Deaver
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reads a Poem by Langston Hughes
Annie Leonard Talks About The Story of Stuff
Sabrina Jeffries Talks About Let Sleeping Rogues Lie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...