A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mature topic-ladies eco-flow busters*** MORE PICS ADDED!***  (Read 137627 times)
Tags for this thread: tampon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2008 06:00:54 PM »

Ooooo! I like the sound of that! I was trying to think of something and all I could come up with was poly-clay... not so sure I want that stuff up the waahhhzoo you know? BUT ceramic would possibly be a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
hipmama1970
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2008 04:03:43 PM »

Any updates?

I haven't tried these, but I can't imagine you are at any higher risk for developing TSS with these than with commercial products. At least with these you have control over the process. I'm sure if you didn't take care of them, you'd raise your risk levels.

My oldest daughter was in the NICU for nearly 4 months after she was born, and the nurses and neonatologists there told me that the heat in your dryer is so effective at killing bacteria that it's all they use. They don't use bleach or even heavy duty detergents on any of the baby items in the hospital such as the blankets, cloth diapers and the gowns the nurses and parents wore. They simply relied on the heat in the dryers to make the items safe to go from one preemie's bedside to another.

As long as you've heated and dried your tampons all the way through, they will be cleaner than almost anything else you could stick in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2008 05:35:28 PM »

Ya, I think it's something like high heat for at least 20 minutes. I have a good friend who worked in a lab at the University of Washington. She use to grow bacteria and we talk all the time about how to kill bacteria! I am going to ask her her take on this. She is well familiar with the Staph strains. She swears by UV for killing bacteria. She's seen it work! I am going to ask her about our little treasures here and see what her Lab tech experienced self has to say! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
hipmama1970
« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2008 09:28:42 AM »

I'll keep an eye out, this is a really interesting thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
SoTripical
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2008 10:17:45 AM »

I think this is a wonderful topic! The thought of cutting down on waste just tickles me pink heh. I want to say sorry for all the double questions that people ask without reading the whole thread, i'm sure it gets frustrating =). I think if made and taken care of right, these could definitely be a alternative to the diva cup and cloth pads. Good job, i look forward to doing my own research and making and testing these =D. Good luck everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We're all mad here."
juliebug137
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2008 03:29:50 PM »

Kudos to you Javastain!  I have never thought about anything like this, but I can tell you, living in a house with 3 girls...we have alot of waste.  We easily go through 60 tampons a month! 

I don't think I will get my younger daughter on the reuseable band wagon yet, teenager are kind of inconsistent with hygiene as it is...but I am going to go home and make some for me tonight!  Conveniently I started my cycle this morning!

I will let you know how it goes!

Jules
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittymary
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2008 04:25:42 PM »

I use a moon cup or cloth pads- it's cool that there's now another option. Such an innovative idea! Now I have my mooncup though I don't know if I'd ever give the crochet tampons a go, but I might just for a change!

With all the worries about bacteria I think it's worth remembering that disposable tampons are not sterile. Even if they were sterile they would immediately be contaminated by your skin flora once you touched them. So the reusable ones don't need to be sterile, they just need to be properly clean, so that the only bacteria on them is your own friendly bacteria.

I think the biggest issue is probably making sure that all the blood has been properly cleaned out by whatever washing method you use. Even a hospital autoclave can't sterilise something that has dried blood on it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sherrie B, UT
Show me your Creativity!What's you Passion?

I love living in Utah!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2008 07:23:33 PM »

Interesting idea, but frankly I'm kinda glad I'm a croan now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." by Scott Adams
~
MY WISTS: http://www.wists.com/SherrieB
Crafty Detective Rd. 7  sendouts Apr. 14, 2011) 
TheLizardQueen
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2008 09:49:31 AM »

Haha, this reminds me of that episode of South Park with the Cherokee hair tampons lol. But seriously, this sounds cool. I've been using cloth pads for over a year now, and although I can't knit or crochet, but I'll keep my eye out for reusable tampons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thatcraftyrabbit

This bunny is crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2008 11:21:45 AM »

So obviously im like two years late for this thread but I have wanted to use stuff like this for YEARS!!! and now im going to. I effing love craftster!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Marble Effect by Using Different Clays
How to Decorate Pottery with a Slip and Shredded Paper
How to Begin Pottery Making - Glass and Clay - The Aftermath 2
How to Wheel Throw a Large Bowl
How to Decorate Pottery with a Porcelain Slip
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...