A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Generation T, by Megan Nicolay  (Read 8946 times)
Tags for this thread: generation_t  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mllejessy
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006 08:37:09 AM »

So I spent quite a bit of time peeking at this book today in Urban Outfitters...I would have bought it had I not been on a limited budget. But I did memorize one of the patterns, and I made it just now + it's turned out so cute! I'll have pics up soon...but I'm determined to get this book at some point! I love it! Not to mention that I have a million t-shirts from various organizations and activities lying around and I absolutely do not wear t-shirts in their original form ^^;

That's why I bought it for my library (yay, selection responsibilities) and copied the 5-10 things I wanted to make.  This way, everyone in the small town hours away from an UO I work in can see it, and I get to make what I want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

billy_the_duckling

why so blue panda bear?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006 09:55:24 PM »

the book is awesome. i got mine today at Hot Topic it was only $14.99! so i think it is totally worth it!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

did i leave the gas on?
  no, of course not, i'm a fucking squirrel
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2006 06:08:02 PM »

Well, honestly, when I first went through it in the store, I really liked it, but I didn't read closely enough.  I'm not one for unfinished seams and whatnot.  I'm seriously considering giving my copy to my 16 year old SIL.  That way, I can still do the 4 or 5 projects in there that I want to, and it'll get more use than it would with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
jeanniepep
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006 06:28:02 AM »

I got Gen T after reading the Bust review, and I couldn't be happier.  I'm new to recon, so the techniques were news to me and I was pleased with the clear explanations and photos.  With most craft books, I just look at the pictures and try to figure out how to make something similar on my own (impatience!!) but I actually sat down and made a few of these according to Megan's instructions.

Like many other folks here, I'm too big-busted (and old - 34) to wear a lot of them without a bra.  A skintone racerback bra helped in some cases, but not all.  Honestly, I've never had any kind of craft book that I could make/use ALL the designs!  I'm pleased to learn the techniques.

One thing that I'll be eternally grateful for, is learning how to ruche the sides or front of a shirt to make it fit.  I lost 40 lbs and some of my favorite shirts looked like they could fit another person in there with me!  Not sexy!  But, now they fit again.  AND, when I see a cool design that I can only get on a huge men's t-shirt, I can make it fit me now.  So I'm a happy crafter.

I wish there were more designs for long-sleeves, it's cold in Michigan most of the year!  I've got the recon-confidence now to play with adding my own sleeves, but I'm sure they could look a lot better.

Does Tease have any long-sleeved designs?  I think I'll avoid 99 Ways based on the SFSE situation!  Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NYCDesignerG
Fashion Sewing NYC Nightlife

Style is developed over time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006 10:05:57 PM »

hey you bunch of cackling hens.  Get the gossip right.  99 ways is not produced by SFSE.

If any of you read, you could go to amazon and read this.

Book Description
Extraordinarily clever ways to transform any ordinary T-shirt.

The pattern techniques are simple, and the supplies youll need are easy to find: T-shirts, scissors, sewing needle, and thread. The difficulty of each project is rated from 1 to 4, and none take more than 30 minutes to create. Youll never look plain wearing a T-shirt and jeans again.

About the Author
Collectively known as Compai, Faith and Justina Blakeney, Anka Livakovic, and Ellen Schultz are the force behind the book and the founders of a new fashion movement. Visit them online at compai.com.

You are so misguided.  Read a book because it has good tips and get over your over inflated egos.  You are all acting like the supposed "leader of knitting".  Get over yourselves and make decisions for yourself instead of being lead by others.  Anyone ever heard of the song "Stupid Girls".  Like ms. stoller get a clue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion Sewing NYC & Nightlife of a Socialite

http://www.doitdude.com
http://www.myspace.com/gregorygarvin
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2006 12:06:36 AM »

Well, I'm not adding to the bitch fest that seems to be happening here...

I have Gen T and while at first I thought "Oh, I could have come up with all of these!  Why did I buy this?"  Actually, I think I needed the boost of the book's ideas to get going! 
I doubt that I will ever use most of the patterns, but I think it's great to have around.  I am pretty much the resident t-shirt recon-er, so it's nice to be able to say "well, lets look here and see if you get any ideas!" 

My other thought for you ladies that like spiral bound (and why not?!  it's so nice!), I bet you could head to Kinkos or another copy place and have them spiral bind it for you.  I my mom's friends do it all the time cause they say the same thing about non-spiral bound paperbacks.  Just make sure to get spiral and not comb, the comb is the one w/ the big bone down the back and it's sooooo not as nice as spiral!

Happy crafting everybody!  Sorry to hear about all the frustrations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
kcjc62
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007 12:30:55 AM »

I go to sites like craftster, t-shirt surgery, etc. for recon ideas, but need them in an organized book, so I found Generation T.

Has it helped anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway.
trashydame78
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007 12:44:08 AM »

You know what?!

I bought it, then moved cross-country in a minivan, and had to get rid of like 80% of my stuff (including most of my old t-shirts).

So, yeah...I haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boy, I sure could go for a hundred tacos right about now.
SoLongScarecrow
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007 10:19:26 PM »

Well, I borrowed a copy from the library and I looked through every project. Its perfect for those who dont want to sew or do minimal sewing. I, personally, didnt really like it, but that is because I wasn't fond of the unfinished hems/sleeves. I don't know, it might be your kind of thing. If you're looking for anything in particular in the book, let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trolldoll
You're gonna make it after all!!!

Former Loveboat guest star.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2007 12:26:06 PM »

it has a lot of good ideas,especially for a begginer,but...meh.it was so-so for me.probably because most of the projects are kind of skimpy and my school has a pretty strict dress code.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the seventies.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: The Art of Typography
Architect Mark Wigley Says Data Visualization Is the New Art
A Workshop For Peace
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...