A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purses are so easy to make!! NOW WITH HOBO BAG TUTORIAL!!  (Read 36231 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag , hobo_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Carat Top
« on: March 01, 2006 11:32:46 AM »

Grin I just got a new sewing machine for Christmas, so i no longer need to beg to borrow a friends or my mom's.  I decided to start out making purses with fun fabrics.  I put a piece of rubber or crafters or needlepoint plastic in the bottom and interfacing on all of the fabric.  THe more sturdy and stiff i wanted the purse to be the more layers or interfacing i use (they can fuse to themselves in multiple layers).  Here are a few of them:

Donna bag - Made out of plaid wool and purple cotton lining

Hobo Bag - made this one out of lightweight purple denim...

the lining is so fun, just a black and white eiffel tower print Cheesy  the flower is just layers of white polkadot tuileon top of a purple flower cut out.  Instead of leaves, add some loops of ribbon at the bottom.

Jordy Bag - this one is just a sturdy denim with LOTS of interfacing (use the stuff for in the home decor section, it's stronger and cheaper than the stuff for clothing) and i cut out a dolphin shape and hand sewed it in.  the handles were really easy i just made a long tube of fabric, reversed it and fed it over a piece or cotton cord for the scrunch effect.  Sorry the picture is kida blurry, it's a lot brighter than it looks.

Jordy bag with front flap - This one is my favorite.  It's just a simple black cord purse with a front flap.  I lined the inside with a super pretty retro pink flower pattern.  I had to keep it for myself.  Wen i open it people freak out and ask where i got it, to which i proudly respond: I made it myself!

***HOBO BAG TUTORIAL***

Here is the tutorial for the purple bag as promised Cheesy
I used black stretchy denim and a retro butterfly print i got in the bargain center at Fabricland

Cut out 2 of these of both the lining and of the outside fabric (it'll look a little funny when you open it up). 

**EDIT**
It's hard to read but the Inner part of the strap by the fold is 11 1/2" fron the top of the strap to the point, the outer part is 12".  The main part of the bag by the fold is 8 1/2" the outer part is 8"**

Also cut a squarish piece of the lining, outer fabric and interfacing 8'' X 8 1/2'' for the bottom.

Then out of the interfacing cut out two pieces: 15 1/2'' X 8 1/2'' Iron these onto the wrong side of the outer fabric.  Iron the square piece of interfacing onto the wrong side of the outer fabric too.  Then sew up the sides of the two lining pieces right sides together, do the same for the outer fabric

Pin the lining fabric and the outer fabric along the top edge right sides together.  Sew along the top edge and pull the lining through keeping the wrong sides facing out.

Pin the bottom outer fabric piece to the bag.  (I found the middle of the shorter side and matched it up to the side seams and then pinned the rest of the way around).  Then sew it up and turn it right side out. Press seams flat with an iron and sew the handles together.

Pull the lining up and pin to the bottom lining piece, folding under 1/4''.  Sew very close to the edge to make sure the lining sits nicely in the purse.  You can add a fastener like Velcro, magnetic snaps, or like I did here, a button with a loop of fabric made out of the lining sewn onto the outside of the bag. 

You can add decorative stitching, pockets, appliqus, basically anything you want.  Personalizing bags make them more unique, allowing you to make the same bag several times and have each one turn out differently.  You shoud zig zag the seams... I didn't cuz i wanted to get this tutorial up soon like i promised.

This is my first tutorial, so feedback is appreciated!! Grin

Happy Sewing!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 03:47:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sew_renee
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006 11:38:58 AM »

the last one is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ketmga
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006 12:11:43 PM »

Great purses! Is there a tutorial for the purple one or did you make that up yourself? I really like the shape of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carat Top
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006 12:13:37 PM »

Thanks...If people want a tutorial on any of these just let me know. Cheesy.  I'm going to make another like the purple hobo bag soon, so i'll do a tutorial with pics in a few days
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006 11:21:13 AM by Carat Top » THIS ROCKS   Logged
courtlet
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006 01:26:07 PM »

I like the scruncy handle idea! That's really creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006 01:46:22 PM »

Did you put anything other than elastic in the scrunchy handles to give them shape?  Neat idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carat Top
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006 02:13:03 PM »

There is no elastic.  It's just a short piece of thick cotton rope with a arms legnth tube of fabric fed onto it to create the scrunch look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkavocadoes

Avocadoes are yummy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006 02:14:52 PM »

ooooh... I love the lining fabric of that last purse. It's so pretty and pink and awesome  Grin May I ask where you got it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006 02:17:23 PM »

great purses! I love the purple plaid one and the scrunchie handled one the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corinne_x3
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006 02:18:55 PM »

it's called interfacing but no big deal. the bags are adorable. i love all the fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set the White Balance Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Timer Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Spot Meter Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Shutter Priority Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Image Quality and Resolution in the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...